Hi UGers, I want to play some songs in drop D but how can I tune my floyd rose to drop D without getting all the other strings out of tune?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
- reset the whole system and retune to drop D
- block the trem using Tremol-no/wooden block
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Theres this "thing" that you add to the bottom of the floyd rose system and with a twist it tunes it to drop d(I saw it in a recent Musicians Friend catalog). or you could unscrew the top (Just the screw over the the E and A strings) and tune it that way.
i don't really have a wooden block, but anything that fits in the cavity would do the trick right?
-Jimi Hendrix
There are three ways.

1. go to a PRO and get the floyd rose set up for drop D tuning.
2. (what I do) have a PRO install somthing called a "Tremel-no". their are a few different brands but I think the tremel-no is the best. when you want to drop tuning you just tist a knob in the back and it locks the bridge. It also gives you better sustain. the only problem is that when it is locked, the floyd is rendered usless. and thats no fun.
3. I think some oned mentioned it already. the e.v.h. D-tuna. Its a replacement for your low strings fine tuner on the floyd rose. you twist and pull and it drops it into D.
Im not shure how well this works. It seems to me that the other strings would still go out of tune, but van halen knows more than me. also if you have a ressesed floyd, you wont be able to pull back on the bar as far.

Ok 4 ways.
4. the best advice anyone can give you want to go from reg to drop in your band.
USE TWO GUITARS.

Jackson KV, emg 81-85 original floyd
jcm 900 half stack, zakk wylde overdrive, crybaby,
digitec wammy
I tried using a pencil, but the trem was in a divebomb position and my strings were loose like crazy...
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mickeysixx
There are three ways.

1. go to a PRO and get the floyd rose set up for drop D tuning.
2. (what I do) have a PRO install somthing called a "Tremel-no". their are a few different brands but I think the tremel-no is the best. when you want to drop tuning you just tist a knob in the back and it locks the bridge. It also gives you better sustain. the only problem is that when it is locked, the floyd is rendered usless. and thats no fun.
3. I think some oned mentioned it already. the e.v.h. D-tuna. Its a replacement for your low strings fine tuner on the floyd rose. you twist and pull and it drops it into D.
Im not shure how well this works. It seems to me that the other strings would still go out of tune, but van halen knows more than me. also if you have a ressesed floyd, you wont be able to pull back on the bar as far.

Ok 4 ways.
4. the best advice anyone can give you want to go from reg to drop in your band.
USE TWO GUITARS.

Jackson KV, emg 81-85 original floyd
jcm 900 half stack, zakk wylde overdrive, crybaby,
digitec wammy

I'm probably too broke for the tremel-no but I'll check out the EVH D tuna. I can't use 2 guitars cause I only have one >.>
-Jimi Hendrix
retune multiple times i used to play in drop d and u just have to tune the lower strings higher so when you tune the high strings normal the lower ones will be in tune. i dont know if thats ur problem but give it a try. are you having trouble with the brige being level too?
"im not going to call somebody a dwarf unless they have direct possesion of a battle-axe."

"curiosity killed your mom!"
I'm kinda screwed but if I had money I'd get the tremol-no! I just saw the video, it's awesome.

I also need to play this drop d song with my band on tuesday for these audition..
-Jimi Hendrix
dont bother looking at the dtuna, wont fit your Edge coz its too big and your Edge is recessed. Just reset your tuning to drop D
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I reseted the tuning to drop d but it keeps detuning on me while I'm playing.?
-Jimi Hendrix
Just keep on retuning.
The bridge has to settle in a position where there's equal tension on the springs and the strings, so that the bridge will stay in a level position.
Once you do it enough it'll be easy for you, but it takes a while to do it at first.
The power of your example is far greater than what you say.
Yeah I think it settled. It's kind of annoying though. I hope I don't have any problems with it on auditions..
-Jimi Hendrix