Has anybody out here installed an EMG 81 in the bridge and neck positions. I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I'm either going with that set-up or an 81/85 (ZW) set-up. I already have the 81/60 set in my ESP so I'd like something different just for the hell of it. Oh yeah and the new EMG's will be going in a guitar which is set up for dropped tuning (1 full step and dropped D).
is there any difference between regular EMG 81's and the zakk wylde ones?
i dont think there is...or at least not much
so just get one new 81 and put it in...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
No difference. THe ZW kit comes with longer pot shafts for LPs. Plus you get to pay more to support the douche
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Ummm....yes there is a difference. From what I've read the 85 produces a warmer tone than the 61 and also you cannot replace just one. I have EMG H4/H4A (passive stock set) currently and I cannot run a active and passive in the same guitar. Plus after having actives in my ESP these passives blow. Night and day difference. Anybody run the dual 81's?
i personally dont like EMG's so i cant really give you an opinion about them
sorry

i'd be interesting to hear what a 81/81 combo sounds opposed to a 81/85

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by joining_heads
No difference. THe ZW kit comes with longer pot shafts for LPs. Plus you get to pay more to support the douche

Is there a reason for your negativity?
THere is no difference between the 81s on a single package or the ZW set!

81s sound crummy in the neck IMO because they are to hot for that position
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by JJLeo77
Is there a reason for your negativity?

Other than having to pay more because some dude's name is on the box?

I have an 81 at the neck of my guitar...it sounds fine. A little overpowering when using it on a clean setting. But for lead work its ite.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Other than having to pay more because some dude's name is on the box?

I have an 81 at the neck of my guitar...it sounds fine. A little overpowering when using it on a clean setting. But for lead work its ite.

How is it when you use both picksup together?
Also, I wasn't aware the ZW set was more $.
...and I'm not sure I'd call him a douche. That's all.
Last edited by JJLeo77 at Mar 2, 2007,
When you use both together it can get muddy sounding...

I wasnt calling him anything either btw lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign
When you use both together it can get muddy sounding...

I wasnt calling him anything either btw lol

Oh I know. I wasn't talking directly to you. Thanks.
I have 81s in my EC love the bridge the neck not so good I would like to try the 60. I think that is how the EC1000 come now 81 60..
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by halfstacked
I have 81s in my EC love the bridge the neck not so good I would like to try the 60. I think that is how the EC1000 come now 81 60..

Yup....that's how I have my ESP EC set up also (81/60). I like it but I thought I'd try something different. Maybe I'll just stick to the 81/60 setup again. Thanks.