Hey guys,

I'm a fairly noob player, and I currently have a $90 P.O.S. guitar that I'm practicing with. I suspect in a few months, I'll want to buy a 6-string real axe, and I need suggestions. I'm not willing to spend more than 500 dollars, but I'd like a guitar that's good enough to keep for many years as I get better (aka I'm not looking for crap like squier). I've heard good things about Ibanez RG and S's. The problem is that the RG is very metal and I'm not sure I'm committed to playing just really hard rock. Does anyone have any suggestions?
epiphone les pauls are great for the price and so are fender standard strats(the mexican made ones) either a stadard strat(SSS configuration) or a fat strat(HSS configuration)
Well, we need to know a bit more. What music do you like to play, listen to etc. Do you favor any specific brands in that price range?
I have a fender mexicaster... sounds good spent $550 on it. I would also recommend a jackons dinky or soloist edition.
get an epi dot semi-hollow body, great for rock, blues and garage shit, but prolly wouldn't be that good for metal (but i don't play metal so i wouldn't really know)
Well, I'd like a versatile guitar. I guess some example music that I'd like to play would be stuff like RHCP, Offspring, arctic monkeys, audioslave, etc (just some random bands), but I'd like to play stuff that's a bit grungier too.
Hardtail RGs. Then pickup swap.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I got my PRS SE Singlecut for under $500
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
I'm a bit afraid to purchase a fender or gibson since their name brand means their cheap guitars must be really crappy. I don't trust their respective discount brands either. Aside from ibanez, are there any other brands that sell quality cheap guitars?
Well, the $500 and under range is kind of limited in terms of what you can get. I would just suggest saving up a but more. If your budget increases a bit, you'll have more selection to choose from.
either epiphone les paul Standard, or fender Mexican fat strat, you have nothing to worry about with either of those, try an Ibanez SA 260 , it's like a fat strat, with a mahogany body, so it gets a good mix of les paul and strat tones, a great guitar, around 400 new
What amp do you currently have?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
A crappy Behringer V-Tone GM108. Anyway, I think I may have narrowed it down to Ibanez. Out of Ibanez I've chosen:
RGT42
RG350
S470
SA260
SZ320 (s series are really really thin...)
RG550 (mainly cus it has a pickguard, which looks cool <_<

What are the differences between these?
Last edited by hellhawk123 at Mar 3, 2007,
Well if your amp is crappy I'd look into a new amp first, thats where a majority of your tone comes from, a new guitar won't sound a whole lot better.

Quote by hellhawk123
I'm a bit afraid to purchase a fender or gibson since their name brand means their cheap guitars must be really crappy. I don't trust their respective discount brands either. Aside from ibanez, are there any other brands that sell quality cheap guitars?

Quality cheap guitars...Um... Epiphone, Fender.... Not sure what you mean by your comments there but Epiphones and MIM Fenders are excellent guitars for the money.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Mar 3, 2007,
Do the smart thing, And buy a strat. You're a newer player, You're going to NEED flexibility. Buy a Fatstrat or a stander, But buy a FENDER. With that money, You can put it into a guitar that WILL last you a lifetime if you take proper care of it.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!