If one was interested in playing Spanish or Arabic style music, what were some scales they would use? Now, I know everyone's going to say Phrygian and Harmonic Minor, which would be great, providing you also give me some examples of how the scales would be employed in a melodic, ethnic way. I'd also like to see some other good scales for this type of thing. Thanks!
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
Phrygian, "Spanish Phrygian" (5th mode of the harmonic minor scale, also sometimes called "Double major" and "Double phrygian"), and the harmonic minor.

only example I can think of a Spanish-esque solo in pop music is No Doubt's "Don't speak" solo.

Basically, focus on the intervals m2, M7, m6, and use a lot of big jumps and even consider giving the root both thirds. The 'foreign' sound is based a lot on awkward jumps from the 6 to the 7th and chromatic runs around the root and 4th.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Try adding alot of semitonal slides and grace notes whilst using various harmonic minor modes.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
http://www.scaletool.com/

Go to it now...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Since I am too lazy to write them out, check out the following site. Nice little collection of exotic and non-western scales along with the traditional modes.

http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html

EDIT: Phrygian was quite popular in late sixties rock. Pink Floyd used it frequently in some of their earlier albums--"Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is the only one I can think of at the moment. I think "White Rabbit" may also be written in Phrygian mode. Its also used extensively in Flamenco music.
Last edited by anarkee at Mar 3, 2007,
I was just listening to Tyr and some other metal bands...I was just woundring if there is any particular scales these trad. scandinavian song goes in?
Quote by anarkee
Since I am too lazy to write them out, check out the following site. Nice little collection of exotic and non-western scales along with the traditional modes.

http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html

EDIT: Phrygian was quite popular in late sixties rock. Pink Floyd used it frequently in some of their earlier albums--"Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is the only one I can think of at the moment. I think "White Rabbit" may also be written in Phrygian mode. Its also used extensively in Flamenco music.

Every time I hear Phrygian I picture good ol' Wiggy Malmsteen saying "HEAVY E PHRRRYGIAN."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..