I have just bought an ibanez artist off ebay and some neanderthal has taken to it with sandpaper all over the place and sanded pretty much all the lacquer off except for bits close in to the knobs and hardware. Does anyone know what i would use to refininsh it back to the same glossy finish it had?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Last edited by dantiberian at Mar 4, 2007,
Got pictures?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I'd say finish sanding it and re do the finish entierly. Other wise it'll probibly turn out looking like crap.

How much did you pay for it?

Pix?
$770 NZ. I'll try and get pix up this afternoon if possible. I'm going to try and get some money back but it's a bit hard because hes 5 hours car drive away
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both

(Invalid img)

This one where there is gloss is where the varnish hasnt been sanded off

Does anyone know what possible reason the holes are there for?

You can see where he hasnt finished the sanding off
Quote by marsvoltaguy
its gonna need a total refinish and you need to fill those holes. i have no idea why anyone would drillholes there
The holes are probably from a pickguard... Does it have one on the bottom edge aswell? Probably like a LP pick guard..

I don't think it will need a complete refinish. Just completely disassemble disassemble it. Mask off anything that can't be removed.. fretboard etc if it's a set neck. And buy some clear acrylic from a paint shop. The type they use for cars. And spray it with that. (You'll need ar compressor/spray gun/ someone who knows how to paint with that)

Lightly sand after about every 3 coats to keep it smooth. I'd say do about 20 - 30 thin coats. Then wet sand it after it's all dry going from about 400 grit up to 1500. Then you can buff and polish it like you would a car and it will be one shiny motherfukcer.
You can use like auto cut and polish to buff it up.

Hopefully some of that helped at least.

P.S. Nice guitar man I like it a lot.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 4, 2007,
TheDev01d0ne do i need to sand it down to the wood or just to the same level of lacquer? Also does it matter that i'm putting the acrylic onto a body which had a different finish (nitrocellulose?) as its first coat? And finally do i need to get it polished when i've sanded it down to the same level so i won't get scratch lines underneath the acrylic after i've resprayed it? Hope that makes sense. ask for clarification if you need it
Quote by marsvoltaguy
I don't know about the nitrocellulose part of the question. Someone else could probably answer that. You should look into it if you want a good laquer 'cos I don't know much about different kinds of guitar finishes..

If you went the way I said though.. Just a light sand with maybe 300 grit sandpaper before would help the paint stick. And no as long as you mix the paint reasonably thin it will all even itself out and there won't be scratch lines under the clear.
if you wanna fill the holes just do a whole refinish its not that much more work than just putting on clear.
What is a whole refinish? Sanding down to the wood and then startin from the bottom up?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
I have gotten a luthier to take a look at it and he said it only needed a cut and polish so mum got him to do that cos she didnt trust me to take out the electronics
Quote by marsvoltaguy