Whats about the best tube amp for $500-$750? Also I play in a band and I'm stepping up from solid state to tube so I was wondering how many watts do I need to play small-medium size gigs?
B.C.Rich Special Edition Warlock
Fender Standard Telecaster
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Austin 15W Lead Amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
What do you play? And don't you already have a thread?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
peavey valve king 100w
then you can get a cab if you need it louder
I don't like as i lay dying
I gig with an old JCM800 50 watt 1x12 combo and I love it. I got it on ebay for $500. I play all styles and I like it for ALMOST any style. You will probably need a good overdrive pedal also. You have to trust Ebay though and of course it will be VERY used, but they are very very durable. As far as new amps go I would check out the peavey classic 30/112 and the valve kings. They are both nice amps. I have also heard good things about the B-52s but i have never used one.
Quote by Alex88
I gig with an old JCM800 50 watt 1x12 combo and I love it. I got it on ebay for $500. I play all styles and I like it for ALMOST any style. You will probably need a good overdrive pedal also. You have to trust Ebay though and of course it will be VERY used, but they are very very durable. As far as new amps go I would check out the peavey classic 30/112 and the valve kings. They are both nice amps. I have also heard good things about the B-52s but i have never used one.

actually you should get a jcm amp cause they're ****ing sexy
I don't like as i lay dying
after looking at your gear, this probably wont help, but

i have a $650 fender hot rod deville 60w

its intense at a volume of like 3
Wait for . . . Everything evil in you comes out . . .

My Stuff:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2*12
Squier Strat

I need some pedals...like for effects and maybe a nice distortion pedal, ideas would be highly appreciated!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
In terms of wattage, you'll never need more than 30 watts in a valve amp.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
In terms of wattage, you'll never need more than 30 watts in a valve amp.

i dont get it... 30 watts is not very loud at all.
^^

if it's a Tube amp then it is...
it'll probably be around the 60w range equivalent to a Solid State...
Quote by Archeo
^^

if it's a Tube amp then it is...
it'll probably be around the 60w range equivalent to a Solid State...

so... a mesa head is an equivalent of 300 watts?!?!? geezus, ha.
Quote by Archeo
^^

possibly yes... (if it's around the 150w Tube then)

im pretty sure the rectifiers and the road kings are 150 watts which is the equivalent of 300 watts according to u.
^ it's true, an all tube amp will sound to the ear the same as an SS amp 2 to 3 times the wattage, depending on what tubes are used.
Quote by treagar
^ it's true, an all tube amp will sound to the ear the same as an SS amp 2 to 3 times the wattage, depending on what tubes are used.

Its very true. Tube amps are just louder.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Ryank285

Most placeshave PA systems now. So you wont need some huge 1234586123590126834123896 watt full stack. I have seem a band play with the small b52's and they jsut had the mics right up to it and it sounded awesome. Shit, youcould paly an arena with a 60 watt, seeing as the PA system is most of the volume level anyways.
30 watt tube combo is all you really ever need UNLESS you're playing with downtuned seven strings in which case you need the headroom to not get farty
Watts are watts, tubes don't make them louder. Tube amps just cut through the mix better and seem to be louder. I gig with a 40-watt Hot Rod Deluxe and never get to really crank it and turn the volume up past 2-3, so I'm thinking about downsizing to something like a 15-watt Orange Tiny Terror.
wow, some stupid posts in here.

i use my half stack to its potential about 80% of the time when i am playing. i have never miced myself up, nor have been miced. and its 120 watts, tube

but to the TS, the Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 will be best for you.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Ryank285

A 30 watt valve amp is at least as loud as a 100 watt solid state, which frankly, is all the power anyone needs. If you're in a big venue you can get mic'ed up to the PA.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
ok yeah, the tube(valve in england) to solid state deal is right, but honestly amps are like LSD, you always want more
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by PhantomWuss95
after looking at your gear, this probably wont help, but

i have a $650 fender hot rod deville 60w

its intense at a volume of like 3

I lucked out! I got my used Hotrod Deville 212 for $400. It looks like a NOS (new old stock) because it was so clean and Made in Brea, CA instead of the MIM.

Quote by Ryank285

You've never played one, obviously.

I have 60 watts, and my amp is crushing at 2 out of 12. I've never turned it past 3.5, fearing for my life.