OK, I've taken the strings off of my guitar. I recently had Red Devil DR strings, but they were shit, and the string gauges were small because I got them for Christmas, so I couldn't make a choice, and now I'm putting some thick ass Slinkies back on.

But while I've got my strings off...are there any household products I could use to polish my guitar a little (Ex: Windex, etc.) bit, or do I absolutely have to have some guitar cleaning product?

Thanks for help in advance?
Never use Windex on an unfinished wood (ie. rosewood might be your fretboard material).

In fact, try to stay away from Windex at all. I use musical instrument polish. A single 150ml bottle has lasted me four years with more than a quarter left.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I got this stuff called 'Powerchord' and it makes my guitar nice and shiny, and it says its safe on anything. Smells great, easy to get high off of. So I just rub it all over my guitar, pickups, fretboard (pretty damned dirty, leaves a brown mark even after the 3rd time I cleaned it, but barely noticable the 3rd) and all that. Safe on everything. Yayy....
Quote by bluespunk57
baby oil

Yah, preferably unscented so that your guitar doesn't end up smelling unmanly.

For the fretboard, take an old (but CLEAN) toothbrush, or really really fine steel wool and gently scrub out the gunk that builds up in the wood's grain, as well as on/around the fretwires.

Then, dab some unscented baby oil (or mineral oil from a hardware store) onto a cloth and rub it into the wood, making sure to let the oil soak in for a few minutes before wiping off all the excess.
I jus use a tooth brush and some cooking oil. On the body I first clean it with alcohol and then wax it with car wax.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
I jus use a tooth brush and some cooking oil. On the body I first clean it with alcohol and then wax it with car wax.

Don't read his post.
Quote by abcdboy

Alright, dude, I'm not that dumb. You're just TRYING to get me to mess up my guitar. I haven't just started playing, you know...
man, dunlop no 65 cleaner

the best out there, use it on my explorer cleans it perfect

just spray and buff

havnt tried on fret board tho.....hmmm
My Gear:
Gibson Explorer - Burgandy Finish
Fender Showmaster Orange/blacksunburst
Vox AD Valve Amp
Digitech Hot Head Distortion Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
DR Black Beauty Strings
Quote by DeathForAll
Alright, dude, I'm not that dumb. You're just TRYING to get me to mess up my guitar. I haven't just started playing, you know...

I'm completely serious. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: The toothbrush and oil thing is for the neck BTW.
Gear...
Last edited by abcdboy at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by abcdboy
I'm completely serious. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: The toothbrush and oil thing is for the neck BTW.

Cooking oil -will- ruin the neck. You need to use a Citrus based ( Preferably lemon. ) polish for open grain woods - MAKE SURE IT'S MADE FOR UNFINISHED WOODS! Look it up to be sure. As for the body, I use FingerEase and a FENDER polishing rag, But I clean my guitar after I play. I wouldn't use much else besides stuff that is made for the guitar, Some products react to finishing materials certin manufacturing companies use. ( PS: Water and guitar = Bad often. Bleach and guitar = Bad. Windex and guitar = Good on a SHINEY body, If you can deal with the smell and don't do it often. Soap and guitar = Bad for neck, Good for beer stains ONLY NOT OFTEN. Silicon Rag and guitar = If you don't like holding onto your guitar, Go for it. )
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
Cooking oil -will- ruin the neck. You need to use a Citrus based ( Preferably lemon. ) polish for open grain woods - MAKE SURE IT'S MADE FOR UNFINISHED WOODS! Look it up to be sure. As for the body, I use FingerEase and a FENDER polishing rag, But I clean my guitar after I play. I wouldn't use much else besides stuff that is made for the guitar, Some products react to finishing materials certin manufacturing companies use. ( PS: Water and guitar = Bad often. Bleach and guitar = Bad. Windex and guitar = Good on a SHINEY body, If you can deal with the smell and don't do it often. Soap and guitar = Bad for neck, Good for beer stains ONLY NOT OFTEN. Silicon Rag and guitar = If you don't like holding onto your guitar, Go for it. )

I'm using OLIVE cooking oil.

I think it's ok....I think...
Gear...
I think Olive oil is alright... I just heard Citrus based products is what Rosewood and Ebony need. Look it up, Man. I'd hate to tell you you're right and ruin your guitar.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
I think Olive oil is alright... I just heard Citrus based products is what Rosewood and Ebony need. Look it up, Man. I'd hate to tell you you're right and ruin your guitar.

Lemon oil is barely citrus based. Most of it is mineral oil and yellow-coloured solvents, with lemon oil as a natural scent product.

Olive oil is fine for a fretboard, but I find it isn't quite as slick as hardware-store mineral oil.

You can also use other oils like tung oil, but that tends to flake off when it dries.
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Mar 3, 2007,
So....I gave good advice right? If I didn't I'll delete that post.
Gear...
i've been using this stuff for a couple years now, and i've seen it literally bring a fretboard back from the grave on an old Gretsch. The wood actually came back against the frets where it had dried up and seperated. Good stuff.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids