Page 1 of 2
I just got my road king full stack in today and I'm quite confused as to how to hook the whole thing up.
here's the speaker output panel on the head ---
and here are the jackplates on the cabs---

what is the correct way to connect both cabs? one is straight the other is slant both.

also do I need speaker wire or can I just use a guitar cable to connect the cabs?
for the amount of money u probably spent for the thing, u should have AT LEAST gotten an instruction manual.
^ Not only that, but they're available to download on the Mesa/Boogie website.
Hi, I'm Peter
iplug the 4 ohm out jack into the AB combined jackon the cab.

I am pretty sure that waht you looking for.... dont qoute me though I may be wrong.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Actually, it explains right on the back of the amp. See were it says "Use the 4 ohm jacks when hooking up 2 8 ohm cabs?"
Hi, I'm Peter
The Road King manual has an entire section on cabinets, impedances, and acceptable mismatches.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Connect the 4 ohm to the 4 ohm.....x2 for your full stack-ness.... I don't see what the problem is?

And dude, I think you're just jumping the gun and diving on UG for help cuz like, my manual has 10 or so pages on speaker and ohm configurations and the right and wrong way to wire shit up, and I got a dinky little Nomad, you got a Road King, the manual for that's probably like a bible..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
the 2 banks are like 2 seperate power amps. the 4ohm combined A/B input from each cab can be hooked to the 4ohm input on each bank.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
with all that gear get some one from the mesa store to come hook it up for you.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
what cabs are you using and what are the ohm ratings? are you going to run both in stereo? have you tried calling mesa boogie or one of their stores.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by shizzybrane
why are there two 4 ohm jacks per cab then? do i hook both up to the stereo jacks of the cabs? can i use guitar cable or do i specifically need speaker cable?

there are 2 8ohm jacks on each cab, one for the closed back, and one for the open back set of speakers. The 4 ohm combined A/B is all 4 speakers.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by shizzybrane
why are there two 4 ohm jacks per cab then? do i hook both up to the stereo jacks of the cabs? can i use guitar cable or do i specifically need speaker cable?

Oh my god, you're that much of a noob and you got this amp, dude? Maybe you should have went for line a Line 6 or something..

Lemme try to put this in as layman's terms as I can..

According to your pictures, you don't have two four ohm jacks per cab, you have two eight ohm jacks that power each side of the cab, and one jack that brings all the speakers together, in parallel, making 4 ohms.

Connect each 4 ohm jack from each cab to a 4 ohm jack on the back of the head.

You can use any cable that has that type of jack on each side. The connectors just have to be the same, wires are wires.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
^not true, you want to use speaker cable, not regular instrument cable. Speaker cable is thicker wire for carrying the powered signal. Also, each cab has to be plugged into a different bank, don't use the 4ohm inputs on the same bank, because that would be 2ohm load in parallel.
amp clips
amp vids
I've been playing acoustic all my life and when I got my first amp it was combo. now i'm planning on going pro and got myself the mesa. its my first stack. so pardon my n00bness.
ok i'm pretty sure i understand now. thanks for all the help ug!
Quote by shizzybrane
I've been playing acoustic all my life and when I got my first amp it was combo. now i'm planning on going pro and got myself the mesa. its my first stack. so pardon my n00bness.
ok i'm pretty sure i understand now. thanks for all the help ug!

planning on going pro? i hope u have a horseshoe up your u know what because it takes ALOT of luck to make it when there are millions and millions and millions of people like you that want to lead the rock star lifestyle.
The wire that is plugged into one of the bottom 4 ohm jacks is called a dummy load, and its purpose is to keep you from blowing up your output transformer if you only have one cabinet.

Now, with two 4 ohm cabinets (I'm going to just tell you to use the 4 ohm A+B input on the cabs, because you don't seem like you should worry about using the separate closed/open back parts) all you have to do is this:

Run one SPEAKER (not instrument) cable from one of the 4 ohm outputs on the top row of speaker outs on the amp to the 4 ohm input on one of cabinets.

Plug another speaker cable into the output that the "dummy load" (the one that just goes inside the amp) is in. You can just leave the dummy thing hanging or whatever, just make sure you plug it into a 4 ohm output in the bottom row if you ever only have one speaker cabinet being used. Run a speaker cable from that 4 ohm output to the 4 ohm input on the other cabinet. Simple.

Now, since you have a Road King, you have the ability to assign different speakers to different channels. You'll notice that on the back of the amp, on each channel's square, there is a switch that can go to either "A", "A+B", or "B". This switches the channel to either the "A" cabinet (the one connected to the top row of speaker outputs), the "B" cabinet (the one connected to the bottom row of speaker outputs), or both (A+B). For now, just switch all of the channels to A+B to get the most out of that full stack.

I think eventually, you're going to realize that you only need one cabinet. If you ever decide this, all you have to do is unplug the speaker cabinet from the bottom (B) row of outputs and plug the dummy load (the plug hanging down that you took out) back in. Then you would switch all of the channels back to "A" on the back of the amp.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
^ Perfect explanation. Everything is working as it should be.

Quote by Ryank285
planning on going pro? i hope u have a horseshoe up your u know what because it takes ALOT of luck to make it when there are millions and millions and millions of people like you that want to lead the rock star lifestyle.

let me rephrase. i make enough money through playing and recording music to support myself and buy expensive equipment. i already am a professional.
Last edited by shizzybrane at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by shizzybrane
let me rephrase. i make enough money through playing and recording music to support myself and buy expensive equipment. i already am pro.

oh, so thats why are u on a guitar tablature website at 1:30 cst on a saturday morning just so u can brag about that.... mmmmmmmmmmmk.
Quote by shizzybrane
^ i dont understand the conflict. I am on a guitar website after a couple of hours ****ing around with a $7,000 amp... doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

the conflict is that u are such a tool. if u really are what u say u are, then u would know how to set up a freakin half stack or would have a "hired hand" to be able to do it. dont sit there and say u are a professional when u are asking mostly beginner/intermediate players how to set it up.
a custom (ONE OF A KIND) road king series deuce full stack in WHITE CROC is going to run ya - $6,995.66... I'd know buddy. i have no reason to lie on an anonymous board where who and what I am really doesnt matter. I don't have a hired hand because I do everything myself. I might be a full stack n00b but whatever cuz I got a serious rig and serious skill.

Last edited by shizzybrane at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by Ryank285
the conflict is that u are such a tool. if u really are what u say u are, then u would know how to set up a freakin half stack or would have a "hired hand" to be able to do it. dont sit there and say u are a professional when u are asking mostly beginner/intermediate players how to set it up.

Give him a ****ing break you twat! So what if he didnt know, now he does ok!!

And honestly, if you spent over 7 grand on a amp and couldnt set it up would you go ahead and do it with out being certain? I highly doubt it so stfu "Tool"
Quote by Ryank285

I see someones jealous... It doesn't matter if he doesn't know.. Roadkings are one of the most complicated amps going at this very time... If not, THE most complicated amp.
I am no expert or anything, but isn't that a half-stack?

Still one of the best looking amps I have seen however.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Quote by Untitled001
I see someones jealous... It doesn't matter if he doesn't know.. Roadkings are one of the most complicated amps going at this very time... If not, THE most complicated amp.

how am i jealous? im about to buy a mesa, lol. u would see i created a thread called "mesa or orange tube amps?" im not going around calling myself a professional musician on a freakin guitar tablature website asking for help from beginner/intermediate level guitar players. oh yeah, he also said he records music too... you would THINK hes friends with at least ONE producer that know how to set up an amp. sorry if i can smell BS a mile away and u cant...
Last edited by Ryank285 at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by shizzybrane
a custom (ONE OF A KIND) road king series deuce full stack in WHITE CROC is going to run ya - $6,995.66... I'd know buddy. i have no reason to lie on an anonymous board where who and what I am really doesnt matter. I don't have a hired hand because I do everything myself. I might be a full stack n00b but whatever cuz I got a serious rig and serious skill.

pictures doesnt tell me squat because u can easily get pictures on the internet. thats not going to keep me from thinking u are full of it when u are walking around thinking u are so cool because u are a "professional musician" or have good gear. u remind me of those guys that like to go around bragging about how many chicks they scored with, how well endowed they are, etc. when its really just a scared, insecure person putting up a front.
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
I am no expert or anything, but isn't that a half-stack?

Still one of the best looking amps I have seen however.

nah, the first picture is the slant cab + head, the second is the straight cab, its just by itself.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by Ryank285
pictures doesnt tell me squat because u can easily get pictures on the internet. thats not going to keep me from thinking u are full of it when u are walking around thinking u are so cool because u are a "professional musician" or have good gear. u remind me of those guys that like to go around bragging about how many chicks they scored with, how well endowed they are, etc. when its really just a scared, insecure person putting up a front.

get the **** over it u dickhead, he can say whatever the hell he wants to, he just wanted help setting up his amp ffs
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by rustic_metal
get the **** over it u dickhead, he can say whatever the hell he wants to, he just wanted help setting up his amp ffs

thats pretty conflicting... u are telling me to get over it because he can say whatever he wants to... why cant i say whatever i want to? hmmmmm...
Quote by Ryank285
thats pretty conflicting... u are telling me to get over it because he can say whatever he wants to... why cant i say whatever i want to? hmmmmm...
You're starting a ridiculous argument and acting like a preppy conspiracy theorist.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
You're starting a ridiculous argument and acting like a preppy conspiracy theorist.

nah, i just like to keep people in check when their head is all swelled up.
Quote by Ryank285
how am i jealous? im about to buy a mesa, lol. u would see i created a thread called "mesa or orange tube amps?" im not going around calling myself a professional musician on a freakin guitar tablature website asking for help from beginner/intermediate level guitar players. oh yeah, he also said he records music too... you would THINK hes friends with at least ONE producer that know how to set up an amp. sorry if i can smell BS a mile away and u cant...

Hah... Clearly you can't...

He owns all of this, go on his myspace, it's on there too

And no I didn't see your thread, and sorry I called you jealous. Friends? -_-
Quote by Ryank285

He didn't say you can't. He said get over it. *reported*
Quote by Untitled001
He didn't say you can't. He said get over it. *reported*

reported? lol... u amuse me.
Quote by Untitled001
Hah... Clearly you can't...

He owns all of this, go on his myspace, it's on there too

And no I didn't see your thread, and sorry I called you jealous. Friends? -_-

<sighs>... im not calling BS on the fact he owns the equipment... im calling BS on the fact hes a "professional musician".
Page 1 of 2