Ok so all i know are power chords and the pentonics scale. Ide say ive gotten pretty far with so little knowledge... Now i want to kick it into gear. i want to learn some chords, now i know theres millions of them... so which ones are important or essential?
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Uhm whatever's neccesary to play Rythm guitar?
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Quote by The way to hate
I'm sure you've gotten really far not knowing a single chord. Oh wait. No.

Well ive been playing mostly lead
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
you have a lot of gear ^
Mostly power chords for rhythm (rock/metal)

Go through about 3 acoustic songs and you will see most of the common chords.
well i know E A D G F major
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Quote by Phantom-x
Well ive been playing mostly lead

With only the minor pentatonic?

Search "theory" on this site. Start there.
OK, her's a start...lol

Basically open chords are notes that are fretted and played also while certain open strings (unfretted) are played too...

Barre chords are played where you lay your finger across all the string at a certain fret, and fret a few notes above that, and it makes a chord...These r great for quick playing and for octave differences and such...

Chord Page on UG

Go to that link ^^ It has an amazing number of chords...

If you dont know what the numbers mean and how to read them...PM me...I'll help u there...

good luck man...
Quote by The way to hate
With only the minor pentatonic?

Search "theory" on this site. Start there.

major pentonic, or blues scale and minor pentonic
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
major, minor, augmented, diminished, dominant 7, minor 7, major 7, 9, sus4
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
well what ever songs that are accoustic and interest you look up chords as someone said before most accoustic songs have the main chords that you reallly need to know
no dont just search theory. i suggest starting out learning the open chords for every note up to G, and start practicing the E bar chord shape, so you can play all over the neck and use full chords. it also helps a lot with theory later on, and gives you a better understanding of the neck of the guitar, which helps a lot with lead later on, so you aren't just playing simple box patterns. after the E bar chord is easy for you, learn the A bar shape, and work with that. as well, any songs you listen to that sound like they have weird chords or chord progressions , you should try and learn. i'd give lead a break before you start reinforcing bad habits, you can't possibly be doing anything constructive lead wise with no theory knowledge and no chord knowledge.
Every major, minor, and 7th chord in the open position, then different barre shapes.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD