ok I have an Epiphone G-310 and the saddles on the Tune-o-matic bridge are arranged as such:

I've seen pictures of other Tune-o-matic bridges and most of them are set up this way too, so I assume it's not a "problem". My question is does anyone know why they are set up like this, ie. bottom 3 strings one way, top 3 strings another way???
Whoa now, Cowboy. That's the worst thing you can assume. " It looks right, that'll work " does not cut it when it comes to intonation. You need to have it SET UP professionally ( Or if you know how ) or that guitar will never play right. What happens is, An open note can be sharper or flatter than it is supposed to be as opposed to a fretted note. It makes for horrible playing, Trust me. You need to get that guitar re-intoned in order for it to be in decent working condition. NEVER CHEAP OUT ON SETTING UP YOUR GUITAR, IT CAN MAKE AN INSTRUMENT! ( I've made two hundred dollor strat copies play like seven hundred dollor fenders. )
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
Whoa now, Cowboy. That's the worst thing you can assume. " It looks right, that'll work " does not cut it when it comes to intonation. You need to have it SET UP professionally ( Or if you know how ) or that guitar will never play right. What happens is, An open note can be sharper or flatter than it is supposed to be as opposed to a fretted note. It makes for horrible playing, Trust me. You need to get that guitar re-intoned in order for it to be in decent working condition. NEVER CHEAP OUT ON SETTING UP YOUR GUITAR, IT CAN MAKE AN INSTRUMENT! ( I've made two hundred dollor strat copies play like seven hundred dollor fenders. )

oh I know what intonation is, every time I restring my guitar I make sure it's properly intonated. My question is if anyone knows why the saddles alternate for the top 3 and bottom 3 strings, not the actual position of them (by adjusting the screws)
OH! Yeah, I believe that's right. ( It's the way it's on my V, At least. :P )
DONT THINK THERES SOMETHING WRONG! I could be wrong but i think that guy misunderstood the question. you should probably have the intonation looked at but not cuz you think the bridge looks funny, but because it's important and now youve gone ahead and taken the bridge off along with all the string tension that your guitar had been set for. Now as for how the bridge looks, its staggered for a reason, and they're all like that.
Quote by OneRust
DONT THINK THERES SOMETHING WRONG! I could be wrong but i think that guy misunderstood the question. you should probably have the intonation looked at but not cuz you think the bridge looks funny, but because it's important and now youve gone ahead and taken the bridge off along with all the string tension that your guitar had been set for. Now as for how the bridge looks, its staggered for a reason, and they're all like that.

You're right, I didn't finish reading. Guy, They're staggered like that for intonation and the breakage factor. The three treble strings are smooth ( Slant facing the string ends ) because if they weren't, Over bending or excessive bending will eventually leade to that string snapping at the bridge. As for having it reset, If you haven't messed with your string hidth and your intonation screws, You'll be fine.
And. The tension off that neck is alright, S'long as you weren't using 12+ gauges. Just don't lean that guitar on anything, Stand it on a neck-free stand or set it flat on the ground. ( Depending on tilt, Of course. )
Apparently no is understanding my question.

Notice how the bottom 3 saddles are pointed one way, and the top 3 are pointed the opposite.

Pretend you're playing (and you're right-handed). Looking down at the bridge, the bottom 3 saddles (the 3 thickest strings) angle up towards the tailpiece, while the top 3 saddles (the 3 thinnest strings) angle down towards the tailpiece.

My question is why the saddles are set up like this.

EDIT: Ol'boy Rivers, you kinda answered my question, although I don't really understand what you mean. And btw I play in Drop C and use 11-52 strings, so I've adjusted everything far from the original setup. And no I don't lean it against anything, I have a stand for it
Last edited by rcw110131 at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
You're right, I didn't finish reading. Guy, They're staggered like that for intonation and the breakage factor. The three treble strings are smooth ( Slant facing the string ends ) because if they weren't, Over bending or excessive bending will eventually leade to that string snapping at the bridge. As for having it reset, If you haven't messed with your string hidth and your intonation screws, You'll be fine.

Right here.