i went out today to get some new strings, i got some medium gauge instead of my usual light gauge. I have a cheap electric (ibanez grg170dx) and when i put them in, whenever i tune one string the other goes out of tune. I have a concert to play at tomorrow, all the shops where i live are closed and its first thing tomorrow morning before the shops open. Ive never had this problem before so it goes down to the strings been higher gauge. Is it just that my guitars bridge is too weak to hold them properly or can i fix it?
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
It could be a bridge tension problem, It could be an intonation problem, hell, It could be that you're not stretching that string properly. If you're switching gauges, You need to have that Trem reset and your intonation re-intoned. You might even need to get your truss done - Bottom line, I suggest you find another guitar to play.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
I have the same guitar and mine does the same thing. I think it has something to do with the floating bridge. You can tune it, it just takes a long time.
Some help
Do a "find in this page..." (Ctrl + F in firefox) for floating
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
MX Magnum

Amp: Peavey Audition 20

Peace Out, and Rock On
ok thanks, theres nothing really i can do, if i cant fix it i cant play
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Your guitar neck is set to accept a certain guage of strings. It is typical for guitarists to change their guage of strings and not properly adjust the trust rod and tremelo, if applicable. Take it to a professional, and have them make adjustments to your axe to accept your choice guage of strings! Good Luck!
if i just not go to the concert, take the strings off and act like it never happened and buy my normal strings, will i have to make any adjustments to get them to work or will it be just the same as before?
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
if i just not go to the concert, take the strings off and act like it never happened and buy my normal strings, will i have to make any adjustments to get them to work or will it be just the same as before?

Depends. Your truss might be out of whack now that you've put larger strings on. BUT, That's a great idea, I'd try it.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!