Hey guys. I have been taking a Theory class since September and feel pretty confident I know what i have learned relatively well. Major and minor scales, major, minor, augmented and diminished triads and a little bit on the modes. Now we only did about one day of chords with more than the root 3rd and 5th, but i was messing around and came up with these and would just like to verify if it was the right name of the chord.

EADGBe
xx3213
Fadd9?

and

EADGBe
Gadd4/7?

are these right? i appreciate an help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The first one is indeed Fadd9.

You also have the second one right, except for that "/7." Not sure what happened there.

And by the way, the 4 is often also called the 11th.
ok, thats what i meant for the 4th, since it is the 11th of the barred chord version of FMajor right? and the /7 i think was meant to be an add11 and add9 because the G on the high e string is the 9th? or am i just confusing myself with too many adds? or did i just write the shorthand for it wrong? would it be Gadd9 add11? beacuse that seems like a bit much heh.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
dont be silly...how could the G just because its fretted on the top E be the 9th...the 9th in a G chord is A...not G ok, the chord is Gadd11. you have the major triad (GBD)with the C being the 11, u might get confused between the 11th and the 4th, tho they are the same thing..the 11 is a tension as is the 9th and the 13th so it is normaly fretted on the top 3 strings such as a G11 chord

EADGBE
(7)789

In theory a G11 should be GBDFAC but the 3rd 7th and the 11th are the most important in this voicing so the other notes are not played in this voicing..but they can be played but are not compulsory

so yeah Gadd4 would be like this

EADGBE
330003 (GBCD) the c is fretted on the lower string, usually this makes it an add4
I play guitar =]
Last edited by pizzabox at Mar 3, 2007,
Those chords are Fadd9 and Gadd11.
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by pizzabox
dont be silly...how could the G just because its fretted on the top E be the 9th...the 9th in a G chord is A...not G ok, the chord is Gadd11. you have the major triad (GBD)with the C being the 11, u might get confused between the 11th and the 4th, tho they are the same thing..the 11 is a tension as is the 9th and the 13th so it is normaly fretted on the top 3 strings such as a G11 chord

EADGBE
(7)789

In theory a G11 should be GBDFAC but the 3rd 7th and the 11th are the most important in this voicing so the other notes are not played in this voicing..but they can be played but are not compulsory

EADGBE
330003 (GBCD) the c is fretted on the lower string, usually this makes it an add4

erm...

make sense!
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by pizzabox

EADGBE

add4 and add11 are the same. Either can be used in notation.
add11 is more of a jazz voicing, therefore the 11 is USUALLY let me stress that word, fretted on the top 3 strings, a tension to be prescise.
I play guitar =]
Add....just do what it say.

9=2
11=4
13=6

Add11 and add4 is sorta the same.
I would imagian...they want you to go octive up

Here's now I would make it

Fadd11

E------------X
B------------X
G------------3
D------------3
A------------3
E------------1

Fadd9/11

E---------3 (add9)
B---------6 (octive)
G---------3 (add11)
D---------3 (root)
A---------3 (5th)
E---------3 (add9)

You don't have to strike lower pitch (G)
I would imagin if they wanted to strike it...it would Be G/Fadd11

Beats the hell out of me
That why I'll have hear it...Or if the song writer puts on paper
there's too ways too make the damn thing.
Last edited by Ordinary at Mar 5, 2007,
oki doki I didn't put a 3rd in there

How about this 1,3,5....add 11 .lol

E--------x
B--------11
G--------10
D--------7
A--------8
E--------x
Last edited by Ordinary at Mar 5, 2007,