hi,

i'm play guitar for year and a half and everything i learned i learned by tabs. but i'm not satisfied with learning song in that way. i would like to trancribe them by ear. do you know any good methods to learn somthing like that? currently i'm doing only some exercises at EarMaster 5 (melodic dictation).

Is Relative Pitch Ear Training by David Lucas Burge any good?
well i am curently learning both of those programs and Syberius Auralia too....I think it will work for you if you do it every day for at least two ours for maybe three years...
Quote by jancooo
hi,

i'm play guitar for year and a half and everything i learned i learned by tabs. but i'm not satisfied with learning song in that way. i would like to trancribe them by ear. do you know any good methods to learn somthing like that? currently i'm doing only some exercises at EarMaster 5 (melodic dictation).

Is Relative Pitch Ear Training by David Lucas Burge any good?

FUCKFACE!

Seriously, don't get it!
just try and work stuff out by ear. i started with like really easy things like theme tunes and nusery rhytyhms then moved on to other stuff. just try to play the things like try and get the starting note then work out if the next note is higher or lower. basiclly let your ear guide you. i have gotten so much better since i started working stuff out by ear. my ear proberly developed more in 6months that 4 years.
The best thing you can do to learn to transcribe songs is just that, you've got to start transcribing right now. As much as those programs may help, you'll learn ten times faster the good old fashioned way of just sitting down and learning one of your favorite songs.

This applies with most things, people for some reason always want to use these programs for stuff like this when it's best to just do exactly what you're trying to do.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Totally start with working out little jingles and theme songs that you like, because you probably won't have much luck diving head-first into trying to tab out a full song by ear. Good luck with it though!
i start by finding root notes and then i figure out the chords from there. for melodies or solos, its just trial and error. it just gets easier with time. i can figure out an SRV song or a hendrix song from memory just because i know how they play things. just the other day i figured out electric ladyland from memory. i played along with the recoding and it was right. the more you do it and the more you know the people you like it will become a lot easier to do.
Quote by VR2005

This applies with most things, people for some reason always want to use these programs for stuff like this when it's best to just do exactly what you're trying to do.

I completely agree.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
^ Good to know. Not to get off topic but, Nightwind, thanks for those quizes they're nice little refreshers to have.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I ussualy sit down and try to figure out what key its in first and then scale, or other way around. It makes figuring things out a lot easier. else its just good old fashion trial and error, but once you've done it alot you get a good idea of where certain notes or sound come from in areas of the fretboard. Good luck to you!
Epiphone SG Limited
Marshall VS65R
DS-1
DD-3
GE-7
Dunlop Original Wah
If you want to transcribe songs by ear. Do it. That's the only way to get better - by doing it.

Start with simple things first and work your way up. The hardest part for me when transcribing by ear is finding the starting note.