Page 1 of 2
Recently i've been ****ing bored to say the least, and in my spare time I try and find things to do. Right now one of those things is surf the internet and try and find CD's to buy. One thing i've found is a SEVERE LACK of good review sights. Lambgoat seems to be the best but they hardly ever update.
I've had ideas for projects and said them on here and never actually followed through, but I know that with a coalition of a few of us, maybe a cd review/band interview website and such could be a cool deal. I don't think just a thread on here would work, it would be impossible to organize and keep track of.
Well anyone into it?
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
No one here is truly objective enough to review CDs. You have to judge it on overall musicianship, rather than the insignificant factors (i.e. genre, band popularity, societal acceptance of certain bands, etc.). It won't really work.
Well I'd be up for something, I'm interviewing the boss of Supernal Music (label of Drudkh, Meads of Asphodel & Hate Forest) for another website soon.
I might be quite busy with college/my own label/being a lazy sod but I'd try.
i wouldnt do reviews persay....

but i could help out with building the website in my relatively limited spare time. Ive got grips on HTML and CSS no problem from a class in college - but that stuffs not too hard.

Currently for my job im having to learn PHP - and consequently the basics of XML, MySQL, some JavaScript etc.

if you do wanna do it and someones paying for server space and/or hosting etc and you need some help buliding a site, lemme know.

cheers if you go through with it, Id like to help out however i can. whatever happened to the webzine btw? and I like the idea of a website more....
I started doing a blog on myspace reviewing CD's. I have the rough drafts of them saved on my pc if you'd like, Spencer.

But personally, I'd love to review CD's!
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
Well all the people who want to review is good, and ThisPerishMin, that would help a TON.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
My friend can do some awesome website design. If you wanna really pull this off, your own web space is esstenial. I could ask him. I could also work on the management team doing reviews, articles and such.
^ Yeah, I have no clue about how to work websites and such, and I know we'd need one.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
yeah im just getting into the basics, but ive already been tooling around with making a personal site in PHP with a guestbook and hopefully forums and some shit like that.

i can snoop around for some more ready to go kind of scripts too. if the other kid is good by all means let him have at it, im sure he could a more secure and sound site haha. ill admit im still a noob but i can get around notepad and photoshop well enough

theres a site called 1and1.com that hosts for like <3$ a month and a free domain name included. they support PHP and MySQL off the bat. MySQL is a database structure that would hold all the shit - PHP would show it all on an HTML page. im sure that doesnt make too much senes but hopefully you get the idea. I would advise PHP because its opensource and theres TONS of premade stuff out there to easily build a site with. as the site would grow im sure you could get some advertising that would pay the webhosting fees - consequently as traffic grows youll need bigger hosting services.

tossing some banners headings pages youd want colors etc would help to start building a rough idea if theres enough support to go through with it.

i think this is a much more sound idea than the webzine and it has a much larger potential as a whole. just gotta get a few people tight on it and get the ball rolling. once you have an initial website up it can be made insanely easy to log in and pop a new review up.

I think itd be cool to kind have a final authority to verify the reviews and post them in a sort of blog style, archive older reviews by bands, or sort by date or something.

that way anyone could drop in a review, the final authority (that probably means "Spencer" :tongue could okay it and than it could be made live etc.

the possibilitys are mostly endless and all....just gotta figure out how serious everyone is and how we can come up with the projects basis.
Well I'd love to lurk and get good reviews off the site. But unfortunately I don't know enough about the music to review, etc! Haha.
I'd do it.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Basically, you should get together a team of writers for reviews/articles/interviews/etc and one or two people to help out designing the site. By the looks of this thread, it seems like there are people to fill those spots

You could also include a forum if you wanted. There's a lot of possibilities.

I could do some reviews and articles if you needed me.
Idea: Blogspots

We make a really nifty page and put the album reviews up, along with the artwork and a sample or two along with each link. They're all the rage nowdays.
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

nam, explain these blog spots more...im familiar with blogs but wtf is a blogspot? i tried googling it and it didnt really help haha. just kinda explain your idea more...it sounds pretty effin sweet.
Quote by ThisPerishedMin
nam, explain these blog spots more...im familiar with blogs but wtf is a blogspot? i tried googling it and it didnt really help haha. just kinda explain your idea more...it sounds pretty effin sweet.

Well nowdays, instead of using programs like Soulseek to get music, I download them off Blogs. Blogspot and Live Journal have fairly active individuals who review albums in their own words and then upload the album they're reviewing. There are a few good Hardcore ones out there, but they're mostly Doom/Post Rock/Punk blogs. Here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.zen-face-punch.blogspot.com/

http://wine-women-song.blogspot.com/

And my personal favorite: http://elementaryrevolt.blogspot.com/
Quote by LPIndin

Quote by ThisPerishedMin
long ass post

Yeah, I have a decent income and wouldn't mind paying for the site and stuff if someone else could hassle making the site and such.
A big review archive and occasional interview and such would be super tight.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Quote by SilentSpectacle
Yeah, I have a decent income and wouldn't mind paying for the site and stuff if someone else could hassle making the site and such.
A big review archive and occasional interview and such would be super tight.

Im currently working on making a personal site just for the **** of it - so far the only thing finished for the most part is a guestbook - but i plan on adding forums and logins and stuff - so given some time those core systems might be in place. its a very modular design so that hopefully all that would really ah ve to be done is a new color scheme and some new graphics. its kinda the typical webpage design etc etc but it works. it can always get "pimped out" later too. I dont get much time to play with it with work and school and all but itll come along nicely.

if everyones truly serious you can always get a head start on content and review a bunch of albums. thatd actually be good for the design aspect cuz i would have the raw content to play with anyway.

Id be glad to polish off what i have and get a site running - or even pass along what i have to someone with some more time etc. i wanna do this - it juts may take me more time than you were hoping for *shrug*.

meh.....hope that makes sense...im still half asleep (which is lame cuz its almost 12 haha)

later
I bought 5 more CD's today, I could review my entire collection (I think the oldest CD is only like 2003, if that)
And that would be a solid at least 20 CD's.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
No offense to anyone, but obviously I want people i've heard of to review cd's, people I know have a good opinion in music.

Just off the top of my head:
Craigo
Disco
LedZeppelin
Cedence
Gommorah
Gymmeh
deadkennedy
system
stuartr

with that many people we could ****ing chug out reviews.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
^Why don't each of you choose two, and tell me what you're doing so there aren't any double reviews.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Protest The Hero - Kezia
The Red Chord - Clients

if that's acceptable.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
hold up. before you guys start cranking out reviews you should come up with a concrete rating system and generalized format to follow.

20 revies with 12 differnet and ****ed formats isnt going to look so good to the outside world, nor would help much...

of course a review is objective in some aspects - but i th ink some general guidelines for rating and format are definately in line.

at least my $0.02
^ Way ahead of you, i've developed what to cover:

Base it on a 1-10 scale, 1 being the worst obviously.

BE THOROUGH.

In the first paragraph, introduce the band and their history and what each band member brings to the CD.
Second paragraph, judge the cd as a whole, how it flows, the structure of the songs, pick out a few favorite songs or parts of songs, as well as negative parts of a few.
Third paragraph, if possible, compare this to other material the band has done and state it as a positive or negative new approach.
Fourth paragraph, sum it up. Is this CD a good purchase? Why or why not? Would buying one of the other cds the band has done be better?

In the end:
Give us a track listing, favorite track, and the date you reviewed it.

My first two CD's will be:
Arsonists Get All The Girls - Hits From Below
With Blood Comes Cleansing - Golgotha
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Here's my first review as a sample, tell me what you guys think of the format as well as the review itself:

Arsonists Get All The Girls
"Hits From Below"
Unsigned (Distributed by Process Records)
Rating: 7/10

In recent years we've seen such bands as HORSE the band, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza and Casey Jones rise to fame as bands with talent but also a unique sense of humour. Add to this list Santa Cruz, California's own Arsonists Get All The Girls. With the goofy band name and long, senseless song titles, many people may write AGATG off as a joke band. Wrong. Comprised of 5 band members; vocalist/synth player Cameron Reed, vocalist/synth player Remi Rodberg, guitarist Arthur Alvarez, bassist Patrick Mason and drummer Garin Rosen, Arsonists Get All The Girls brings a unique sound to the table that many people will find killer. Their debut, "Hits From The Bow" doesn't disappoint.
The album starts with the mixed sound of an urban ice-cream truck stop and some submachine gun fire, into the fiesta that is the song "This Time You're Gonna Get It Dirty Shirley". Arsonists Get All The Girls uses the service of two vocalists. One thing I found is that if you read along with the sheet, you find that both of them hardly pronounce their words, but at least you can't tell. The low vocals are quite interesting, almost like a mumble growl, in a positive fashion. The high, yelling vocals can get irritating after a few songs, but it's unique (odd finding a vocal comparison to Outbreak in a deathcore band?). The album flows inbetween chaotic grindy verses, slow groovy bridges, techno keyboard solos and absolutely devastating breakdowns.
All in all i'd consider this a very successful debut, especially for a band that most people probably have either never heard of or never taken seriously. Although they hold the potential to gain exposure to the "scene" community thanks to their personal senses of style and the use of the synth keyboard, these guys could soar under the radar and be an underground favorite to most fans of hardcore and metal alike.
For an unsigned act, AGATG have quite the following in their homestate and can call themselves a headlining band at a fairly young age.
All in all: For the 11-13 bucks it costs to get this CD from the band on MySpace (or if you have a creative local record store) it's definetely worth it. The CD has the potential to be re-listened to many times and you'll find yourself in "Arsonists Get All The Girls" moods where only some "Scobra Vs. Cupcake: Battle Of The Buldge" will satisfy your craving. An up and coming young band, stay tuned for alot more from AGATG.

Tracks:
This Time You're Going To Get It Dirty, Shirley
Red Meat And Big Trucks
Scobra Vs. Cupcake: Battle Of The Buldge
Shat Shart Tart
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Jazzy Geoffry
Sinsinatti
Canadian Unigog
Limbo
City Of Angels Cakewalk

Favorite Track:
Scobra Vs. Cupcake: Battle Of The Buldge

Review Date:
3/4/07
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Last edited by SilentSpectacle at Mar 4, 2007,
I can do Australian bands if you really want me too.
I guess it'd be fun.

I'll do well known Aus bands? Or less known?
Up to you.

I could do Carpathian - Nothing to Lose
Carpathian - Self Titled
All I Killed the Prom Queen albums
Both Parkway Drive album and EP
Break Even EP
Pro Team - Our Wasteland (pretty much will do this. Best EP of 07 so far for sure)
Any Her Nightmare stuff
Any Wish For Wings stuff

Up to you though.
To avoid confusion you can just categorize your reviewers into a specific genre, definately one that they know very well and like. Aslo you don't have someone writing about a style of music they dont like.
Quote by Gymmeh
I can do Australian bands if you really want me too.
I guess it'd be fun.

I'll do well known Aus bands? Or less known?
Up to you.

I could do Carpathian - Nothing to Lose
Carpathian - Self Titled
All I Killed the Prom Queen albums
Both Parkway Drive album and EP
Break Even EP
Pro Team - Our Wasteland (pretty much will do this. Best EP of 07 so far for sure)
Any Her Nightmare stuff
Any Wish For Wings stuff

Up to you though.

It seems to me the more contributions the better, as it will expose the CD's to more people.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Quote by XMeatHookMartyX
To avoid confusion you can just categorize your reviewers into a specific genre, definately one that they know very well and like. Aslo you don't have someone writing about a style of music they dont like.

Yes, specifically i've noticed one reviewer on Lambgoat who doesn't even like metal...and I don't get it?
like 98% of the reviews on lambgoat are metal and someguy doesn't even like it?!
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Anyone here that rocks with photoshop?

we need a site name and banner graphic. Id like to see a contest go down with photoshop / GIMP skills. something 700x100 pixels....no larger than 800x200. Give us what you got. maybe site name ideas and shit? well need that stuff for actually site design when the time comes....

bah. Spencer, sounds good on the reviews. keep the ideas flowing everyone.
I'm not amazing with photoshop, but if nobody else is any good, I might be able to throw something together, once we get a name

Ran through my collection, here's a few albums I'm gonna write reviews for:

Cold World - Ice Grillz
Harder the Fight - Dead Legends
Sinking Ships - Disconnecting
maybe Have Heart - Things We Carry

And just a thought, the reviews should probably be kept to albums that have come out fairly recent. We don't need anyone reviewing an album that came out like 7 years ago, just seems strange, and theyve probably all been reviewed quite a few times.
^Yeah, I want to have a wide range, but lets keep within at least 2003/2004 album-wise okay?

I have no idea for names.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Page 1 of 2