I just got back from the local guitarshop and there I could test a Spider III 30 W and it sounded AMAZING.And the price was damn low too.Only 220€.If I had the money I would've bought it When I heard the sound I just kept wondering why people hate Line 6 so much and especially: Why do they hate the Spiders? I mean the sound was good,the price was low and with the build-in effects you don't need to buy some expensive pedals(delay etc...). Am I the only one who actually likes the Spider-sound?
Quote by ..NEM..
*hugs back and grabs White Ponys ass*
ive got a line 6 spider III 30 and personally, i think it sounds ace. its a really great amp, the next amplifier i buy would be a line 6 head and cabbecause i was so impressed by the III 30. if you go on the line 6 website theres a page where theres some amp settings to make your amp sound like the song you want to play.
i got a spider 2 112 and i prefer it more than my mates roland cube 60
-----
Quote by _Mayday_
Get her an Oven with a card saying 'Where's my fucking food?'
And does the Spider III 30 W has enough power to play louder than the drums like in a band?
Quote by ..NEM..
That's all I needed to know. I'm going to buy a Spider! (As soon as I have the money)
Quote by ..NEM..
omg no one has shed light upon the non-experienced

Okay, basically Spiders suck. Because their tone is really digitalised, especially if you use a couple of the effects. There is no 'tone' so to speak there because it all sounds so digital- i'll admit, at first you will think you have got a shit hot amp. but as a matter of fact you've fallen into just a deep a trap as the Marshall MG holds- people who own them, or havn't had much experience with them think they sound simply amazing- primarily because 'its Marshall, so it MUST be good'.
After a year or two of owning a Spider, you will be SICK of it- unless you have a very poor ear for tone. You will want to sound different at times- i know im sick of my Fender solid state because if i alter the EQ, it sounds pretty crap. It sounds okaaaaaaay now, but not heavy or agressive enough for what i want.

Go try a tube amp- then compare the tone you get from it to a Spider. As long as it's a good tube amp, you will be converted
Quote by White Pony
And does the Spider III 30 W has enough power to play louder than the drums like in a band?

Possibly, but i definitly wouldnt reccomend it because it sounds like crap and breaks up horribly early like most solid states- if you only have 30Watts, you will probably have to put the amp quite loud, and it will sound horrible

Quote by White Pony
That's all I needed to know. I'm going to buy a Spider! (As soon as I have the money)

What genres of music do you play?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
omg no one has shed light upon the non-experienced

Okay, basically Spiders suck. Because their tone is really digitalised, especially if you use a couple of the effects. There is no 'tone' so to speak there because it all sounds so digital- i'll admit, at first you will think you have got a shit hot amp. but as a matter of fact you've fallen into just a deep a trap as the Marshall MG holds- people who own them, or havn't had much experience with them think they sound simply amazing- primarily because 'its Marshall, so it MUST be good'.
After a year or two of owning a Spider, you will be SICK of it- unless you have a very poor ear for tone. You will want to sound different at times- i know im sick of my Fender solid state because if i alter the EQ, it sounds pretty crap. It sounds okaaaaaaay now, but not heavy or agressive enough for what i want.

Go try a tube amp- then compare the tone you get from it to a Spider. As long as it's a good tube amp, you will be converted

Possibly, but i definitly wouldnt reccomend it because it sounds like crap and breaks up horribly early like most solid states- if you only have 30Watts, you will probably have to put the amp quite loud, and it will sound horrible

What genres of music do you play?

Man am i tired of seeing posts like this.
This is an age old fight. Old vs. New. There are drawbacks and advantages to both. You can do a lot more things with a Tube amp than you can with a Digital Amp like a Spider. However, with Tube amps you have to pack all those effects and whatnots with you. With a digital, its all in the amp.

I also have owned the Spider II for two-and-a-half years and am not yet sick of it. I have owned MANY other amps including Marshall, Peavy, Hughes and Kutner, Etc. The spider remains one of my favorite because I can get quite a nice variety of tones out of the amplifier without having to mess around with the accessories that are needed with Tube amps.

From now on, please post decent reviews of a product not just "OMFG U SUK WTFSTFUBBQ", that way you will not confuse and frustrate the non-experienced.
well, I'm a Spider owner. When I bought my Spider II 150w I didnt get it because I was foolish, or inexperienced. I got it because it was a pretty good deal for the money. Like Kiokomoru said, it is really convenient to have all the effects in the amp. whether or not they sound digital or not. I have owned some different amps, and thought I would give this one a try, cuz you cant always know about an amp unless you hear it for a while. I personally think the spider is fine, but thats just me, not such a picky guy. I try to enjoy music for soul and talent, not so much because the effects sound digital. You can play a large variety of genres on here, and it does pretty descent for that price. btw the last amp I owned was a crate 20w...that had some pretty bad shorts in the wires, and I had played for so long and such loud volumes, I accually had it smoking at times. I believe this amp kills that little crate
Got Bread?

<- ".....Sell Your Computer, Buy A Guitar....." ->
Last edited by Mr. Banker at Mar 5, 2007,
For the average joe who never plans to play out of the house, or an extreme beginner. Even for some home practice, it's alright. But once you hear your buddy's brand new Dual Rec. You will probably hate yourself.
I just needed a pretty big amp with options other than volume, for band playing...it was definetely worth the money, I think so. Im am planning on getting a Mesa eventually though, just in a couple years..
Got Bread?

<- ".....Sell Your Computer, Buy A Guitar....." ->
Ynwi3, the whole point about solid states is that they are inexpensive. Of course tubes sound much better, but for White pony's purposes, i would go with the spider because it isn't thousands of dollars.
Meh, If you know exactly waht tone you want and you've tried out alot of different kinds of amps and you liek hte line 6. Hey no problem with me. Your money, your gear.

But honestly, if your a beginner and you listen to a lot of music with tube amps (almost anythign rock) Then after a while you'll realize how far off the amps tone is from your favorite artist's tone. And you'll start to hate the thing to bits. Thats why a lot of people recommend just going straight to tubes. But The line 6's are still great beginner amps.
OK look...Please actually listen to what I say. I owned a spider II and Ihave owned/ played all sorts of high end amps. The spider III kicks the living shit out of the spider II. Yeah I hated line6 for a while after my spider II. But the III is a good little practice amp. But it WILL sound BAD at high volumes...just like most non-Randall solid states. If you can hold off and buy a GOOD...not just a tube amp, but a GOOD tube amp in the end you will be happier. But the spider III will probably make due for now IF you are happy just jammin in your room for a while. DO NOT GIG WITH IT...unless of course you want to hear people say "wow he sounds like shit".

The effects in a spider arent the best. But the presets in the III will enable you to get an idea of the sound you want. But no...it wont even be close to the real thing. But you will learn and you will enjoy playing more, which will in turn make you a better player. Usually I hate Line6 and dont recomend it to anyone.....but if you starting out go for it....have an ok amp then learn your lesson about why tube is better. But no the tone isnt as bad as everyone says....I might even buy a III just to practice with at low volumes. If your not a beginner....then save up for something that will make you happy in the end, and not piss you off that it isnt as cool as all the flashy lights and sub par effects made you think. Before you go buy something....go play some amps that people recommend in that price range or a little higher. A lot of guitar shop guys are more worried about the sale then they are how happy you are. So get some outside opinions. I wont give my opinion though considering we dont know what kind of music you play....
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I think you should try the spider out, but like I, you may regret buying it. After two months of using it, I extremely wish I would of listened to the guys at the shop. After a while, the novalty of the built in effects wears off and the need for great tone grows. If I was you, I really reccomend you don't rush into this.

Like many have said, If you don't plan on playing outside of your room, then this amp is probably for you. But be warned, playing pedals through these amps isn't the best thing that you could do as you don't get the pedal's full potentional, unfortunately.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Quote by TehJermie
For the average joe who never plans to play out of the house, or an extreme beginner. Even for some home practice, it's alright. But once you hear your buddy's brand new Dual Rec. You will probably hate yourself.

a dual rectifier head is £1700 ($3400)
If you like it, good on you, just make sure to try out some other amps first, like Roland Cubes, Vox's etc
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Exactly, I had the Spider for about a year, but I didnt shop around. Then forced myself to trade up for a Flextone. That or a Vox, or one of the Bigger Cubes ( I went for the Flex since I already had the FBV), and believe me, if you trade it in, you'll get almost nothing for it. Better to shop around now then get screwed later.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
Quote by koikomoru
Man am i tired of seeing posts like this.
This is an age old fight. Old vs. New. There are drawbacks and advantages to both. You can do a lot more things with a Tube amp than you can with a Digital Amp like a Spider. However, with Tube amps you have to pack all those effects and whatnots with you. With a digital, its all in the amp.

I also have owned the Spider II for two-and-a-half years and am not yet sick of it. I have owned MANY other amps including Marshall, Peavy, Hughes and Kutner, Etc. The spider remains one of my favorite because I can get quite a nice variety of tones out of the amplifier without having to mess around with the accessories that are needed with Tube amps.

From now on, please post decent reviews of a product not just "OMFG U SUK WTFSTFUBBQ", that way you will not confuse and frustrate the non-experienced.

He didn't say WTFSTFUBBQ. he gave a pretty valid reason why line 6 are not good amps. Plus, you could buy a cube for cheaper and 5 times better sound.
Quote by metal Lover
Plus, you could buy a cube for cheaper and 5 times better sound.

Thats still an opinion, and Cubes are just as digital as spiders, but without as extreme distortion. AFAIK.
Agreed.....cubes and spiders are basically the same thing just with a few different points here and there for each. Its like comparing Blink 182 to Greenday. They both put out the same crappy music that annoyed us day after day...but they both have different ways of doing it.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
LINE 6 amps do not suck!

Line 6 Spider amps do suck. The sound horribly digital.

Ive played pretty much every series of Line 6 Amps, and personally own a flextone II with a floorboard. Flextone and the vetta series blow away the spiders which IMO sound like complete crap. As much as you like your spider now, the more you play and learn about playing the more you'll begin to hate the spider.

but as for everybody generalizing line 6... thats just bullshit. I bet most of these people base their opinions on the low end spiders instead of playing some of the higher end/quality amps that line 6 makes.
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
I'm not a big fan of the cleans on the spiders. I feel they lack punch when I need them and such. The DIstortion settings are pretty good, until you turn them up. That's my only turn-off. The spiders seem to break up quickly at higher settings, and lose tone. they're great if you play with them mic'ed up.