Would it be possible to perhaps cut a hole in my GRX20's faceplate (or if thats not possible, buy a new H-S-H faceplate) and remove my 3-way pickup selector with a 5-way selector from a strat, then wire a single coil pickup (also from a strat) into the GRX20, a H-H guitar?

If thats possible, where would I get a schematic for that?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
awesome schematic thx for that, now I just need to know how to cut the body to fit the pickup?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
Using a router. I find a drill press is easier, if you've got one handy. Maybe if you have a wood workshop class in school, you can use their tools.

Or there's the traditional way: chisel. BUt that's hard, time consuming and might crack too much wood.
I have both a router, and a chisel, but no drill press. I do have a set of hole saws I could attach to a hand held drill. I dont know if it would be easier than a router though.

There is a drill press at school, but I'm pretty sure my shop teacher wouldn't let me work on my guitar at school (Hes an old prick).
Quote by HomerHitter
Last edited by Black as Black at Mar 3, 2007,
I took a look at my GRX, and it looks like I wont need to cut into the body. The body cavity is open between the two humbuckers. So all I need to do is cut a single coil pickup slot and drill two holes into the faceplate. I've already removed the old pickup from the strat, all I need now is to disconnect the 3 way selector from the Ibanez, and replace it with the 5 way selector from the strat, then rewire everything.

Also, where it says "if the pickup is a fender pickup, reverse the green and black wires on the humbuckers", would I need to do that if the strat is just a copy of strat? It's made by fullerton, whom I cant seem to find any info on google about, so I dont know what pickups they use. Another thing, in the diagram above, the 5 way pickup selector has 4 nodes on each side,(I forgot the term for them, theyre the little things you connect the pickup wires to) but the 5 way selector I have from the strat has all 8 on one side. How does that affect the wiring, and do you have a diagram for that? I cant find a diagram with that kind of selector anywhere...
Quote by HomerHitter
Last edited by Black as Black at Mar 3, 2007,
I'm bumping this topic, because nobody posted overnight... Help me out for christs sake!
Quote by HomerHitter
Add a toggle switch for in-phase/out-of-phase. That way if it's out of phase naturally, you can fix it with the flip of a switch. Plus it's a good sound to make use of.

It's also much easier to just switch the wires on the single coil, as opposed to the two humbuckers.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
thx for the help with the switch, now I'm just in the process of actually soldering everything. Freakin 25 watt soldering iron takes forever to melt the solder, and I keep missing where I want to solder it... Doesnt help my solder gauge is huge

One last question: In the Diagram, the wiring from the tone and volume control is different than the original wiring of the GRX. Do I have to change all of my wiring to match that, cuz that would be much harder, plus I would have to buy some wires and 047 capacitor.

btw Will, I was asking whether I would need to switch the green and black wires because I'm not sure if my single coil is a fender pickup, I got it off a fullerton Stratocopy. Anyone know what pickups Fullerton uses in those guitars?
Quote by HomerHitter
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, that's basically like Seymour Duncan's. It's a tone control attached to the master volume. Just uses different lugs on the pot. You can use whatever cap was alreayd in your guitar in place of the .047 cap.

I have no idea what that meant. Does that mean Ill have to change wiring or not? I only have a very basic understanding of this... I get what the pot is, but I dont know what lugs are
Quote by HomerHitter
so dont change the wiring?

lol... so confused...
Quote by HomerHitter
thats good news. I was hoping this would be simple. I'm not gonna rewire anything, so Ill update this tommorrow, only if things didnt work out.
Quote by HomerHitter