So much has changed over the past few years, what with the album format seeming to be dying in the general public's eye (although I still love listening to albums) and more and more people being able to record their songs from the comfort of their own homes and put them up on the net for anyone to hear. This is all good and conveniant for a musician, but doesn't it kind of take some excitement away? It's like, you used to want to get signed to a record label...but now it kind of doesn't matter because you can distribute it on your own. This leads me to another question, aside from touring, it seems like it's hard for an artist to make any money these days - I mean your gonna start seeing promo items and memorabilia start going by the wayside I think.
The first guy's got a point.

Another way to make money is to sell out.

I mean seriousely. Putting your face or band name on a bunch of merchandise is a good way to make money. With all the albums being bought off the internet and iTunes, an artist doesn't get much money from it, either. (In that sense, it's actually better to steal music).

This is why I admire a band like Tool. Because they didn't sell to iTunes, they make people buy their album, and they keep the album experience alive. They also make more money.
The.
ah yep, definitely have to sell out these days. and if you can live with it, go for it. i know i could haah.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Since when is making money a bad thing? Yes, if you start making music for the money, then yeah, it's a bad thing, but having a passion for music and making money at the same time shouldn't be condemned and frowned upon.
I didn't say I support selling out or that music should be made for money only. But it just seems like it's harder for a musician to make a living these days. Even musicians need to make a living.
In Apple Itunes last quarter earning report, they stated that 98% of consumers still get their music from CD's. Color me surprised. so, hype might be overly-hyped.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
In Apple Itunes last quarter earning report, they stated that 98% of consumers still get their music from CD's. Color me surprised. so, hype might be overly-hyped.

CD's or illegal downloading.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Quote by KryptNet

That's bull****. No way. Especially with all the weiners dowloading just Fall Out Boy and Fergie crap. I cant' believe that.
The.
My friend's give me weird looks when I rummage through the LP's at the music store.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Throw a flash bang at him.