plz tell me
Quote by BigBigWater
Even more baffling... How did they tune electric guitars back in medieval times?
you meen bar CHORD?, barring a string is simply pressing on it.
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant
take ur index finger and completly cover the strings so that they all sound clearly
Quote by xXBlack_PickXx
you meen bar CHORD?, barring a string is simply pressing on it.

yea
Quote by BigBigWater
Even more baffling... How did they tune electric guitars back in medieval times?
you use your index finger over the strings to barre the same fret on each string. E.g

e|-5-|
B|-5-|
G|-5-|
D|-5-|
A|-5-|
E|-5-|

you can then use your other fingers to make a barre chord E.g.

A major

e|-5-|
B|-7-|
G|-7-|
D|-6-|
A|-5-|
E|-5-|

put your back of you index finger and lay it on the frett and press as hard as you can without breaking the neck of the guitar.
Here, I took a couple pictures to better explain it all...

My index finger is doing the barring here, see? I've just taken it and layed it flat across the first fret, covering all the strings.

The trick to getting a barre chord right is actually your thumb position on the back of the neck. You don't want to wrap it around the neck like you might for some other chords, you want to have it placed around the middle of the neck. Press as hard as you can with both your thumb and your "barre finger" if you want a clean sound:

E - I had to lay my guitar on my lap to get that picture, so my thumb is a little off the middle of the neck, but I'm sure you get the idea.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
E - I had to lay my guitar on my lap to get that picture, so my thumb is a little off the middle of the neck, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I'll add to that.

Make sure that your thumb is parallel to your ring/third finger. That way, you'll save yourself from any RSIs (Repititive Strain Injuries), like CTS (Carpel-Tunnel-Syndrome).
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Ya those guys have it right but Im going to give you some info too. When you first start playing with barre chords, it is going to hurt. The first time I did it, I didnt make it through the song, my hand was just killing me. So if it does start to hurt, just take a break, but you will eventually get so that they dont hurt. All guitarists that I know have had to jump this hurdle, so its normal if it hurts. The thing is to just stop for the time being.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Barre chords are probably the biggest hurdle. Make sure that when you play your bar chords that every note in the chords is ringing out. Don't get in the habit of strumming it when one of the strings isn't ringing out. Reposition and correct it.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Depends. If you are barring it will look like this

--1--
--1--
--1-- this just like a regular bar- bar with index finger
--1--
--1--
--1--

this is a bar chord like an F

--1--i
--1--i
--2--i-m you bar this just like above, but u use your index finger to bar the first fret
--3--i-r then u use your middle fonger for the 2nd fret on G string and your ring
--3--i-p and pinky fingers for the 3rd fret on the A and D string.
--1--i

i hope this makes sense. its pretty easy. just takes time too build the muscle to hold it down. but i dont usually play songs like this.
Last edited by jman007_93 at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Here, I took a couple pictures to better explain it all...

My index finger is doing the barring here, see? I've just taken it and layed it flat across the first fret, covering all the strings.

The trick to getting a barre chord right is actually your thumb position on the back of the neck. You don't want to wrap it around the neck like you might for some other chords, you want to have it placed around the middle of the neck. Press as hard as you can with both your thumb and your "barre finger" if you want a clean sound:

Lol, when i saw the first pic, I thoght yur index was yur middle and vice versa, its like an optical illusion or something lol cool