I was looking for a new guitar and am thinking about these two. I mainly play metal and not looking for too much versatility so if I were to get the EC-400 I'd probably get it with EMGs. I was looking for opinions about the two guitars, if anyone could tell me any problems they've had with either guitar that would also help. This guitar has to be able to last for a while so I want to get the right one so I'll ask everyone here for opinions. Thanks.
I've heard great things from both gutiars...You may need to try the EX-400 though, you either love it or you don't (Same with all Explorer type guitars). The 400 is nice though, you may want to check out the 500 instead though..
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
my friend has an EC-400 and i play it alot at college....its a nice looking guitar and his has active pickups...the only downfall i have to say about is that it sounds like shit on clean...and thats with effects and everything like chorus or reverb...i have an ESP LTD H-50...its a 200.00 guitar and that beats the ec 400 in the ground when it comes to being on clean...The EC-400 doesnt really sound that deep either...but....if you like how it sounds....get it...it stays in tune great....drop B and all other tunings above it
I've tried the EX-400 and I'd try the EC-500 but the problem is there aren't many music stores close to me that carry it.
^Ahh, well, I would think it would be better.

To adimantium, I know how you feel, same thing happened to me when I was playing on my friend's ec-400...I think the problem is that there is no arch top so there's not really a deep sound going on...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I have an EC-400 Very nice guitar, if you play Metal it is the guitar for you.
You may also want to look in to a schecter C1 Hellraiser.
They are awesome guitars for the price.
My ec has EMG's 81/60 the 81 is awesome!
The Hellraiser also has EMG's (81/85's)
Go check them both out
They are very nice guitars for metal.
R.I.P Dimebag
Quote by Grimmy101
I've tried the EX-400 and I'd try the EC-500 but the problem is there aren't many music stores close to me that carry it.

if not many stores carry the guitars you can still probably order from them to buy the guitar you want, just go one espguitars.com and you can fill out a custom order sheet there, or you can just go in the store and ask them to place an order by stock model or custom. Also im a fan of the ex series but i know a guy that has the 400 and it wasnt the best sound, i think the ec would be better.
ESP EC-1000 see-thru Black Cherry w/ Emg's
Dean Markely Sign. strings 10-46
Line 6 Spider II 75watt combo
Damage Control Solid Metal Tubed Preamp Distortion
Dunlop gels x-heavy picks
Im hoping soon to get a Mesa Roadking
Quote by Adimantium
my friend has an EC-400 and i play it alot at college....its a nice looking guitar and his has active pickups...the only downfall i have to say about is that it sounds like shit on clean...and thats with effects and everything like chorus or reverb...i have an ESP LTD H-50...its a 200.00 guitar and that beats the ec 400 in the ground when it comes to being on clean...The EC-400 doesnt really sound that deep either...but....if you like how it sounds....get it...it stays in tune great....drop B and all other tunings above it

If you're buying an LTD to play clean... You really need to rethink what you're doing with that guitar to be honest.
500 is archtopped. I think they had a 400 arch top, but they discontinued it.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
If you're buying an LTD to play clean... You really need to rethink what you're doing with that guitar to be honest.

You're absolutely right. It has everything to do with the brand of guitar. What was I THINKING!? Playing clean on my old 80s superstrat! Somebody shoot me, please!

Get the EC-400. The EX just looks like ass.

NOTE: The new EC-400s are archtop with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Wait, nevermind. You can't play clean on LTDs. Just get a Gibson instead.

*Sigh*
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
^LOL.

Yeah, you CAN play cleans, maybe some quick melodies with the neck pick up on clean, then kick up the distortion.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
If you think EMG's can't do clean, then here ya go.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
i played a viper 400 and an Ex400 in a shop recently and they were both awesome. i'd go with the EX on looks though..
If you think EMG's can't do clean, then here ya go.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

*Tips hat*
~Dom~
Psh, I can do better than that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZPv8w1F7CY

TIP YOUR HAT OFF TO ME!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
*Doesn't tip hat to Jinskee just because*

Nah, that was awesome.

*Tips hat*
~Dom~
Quote by Jinskee
500 is archtopped. I think they had a 400 arch top, but they discontinued it.

actually the current EC 400 series are arched top, its the flat top 400 series which have been discontinued

btw TS, the GT2 recording in my sig is with an EX400bd which i got back from the guy i sell it to
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers