I want to learn how to do those cool stage trick thingies I see a lot of bands do. Like, the spinning the guitar to where it goes behind your back and returns to your hands. And I want to learn how to play while jumping. Is there anyway I can learn to do these things, and do it safely without damaging my guitar? I'm just very boring when playing on stage.

And I hate head banging.
--------------------

I LOVE DRAGONBALL Z
make sure you have strap locks first...
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Learn it... by doing it?

Get strap locks.
So you don't throw your guitar across the room.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
And be sure your ceiling is high enough. Or you might bump your headstock.
I have Schaller strap locks, I learnt to do it in the first day. Here's my advice:

-GLUE IN THE SCREWS that hold your straplocks. I dropped my guitar once, the locks held, but the screw came out. Fill the hole with match sticks and a drop of woodglue.

-Make sure you have enough space. My room is 9 sq. meters, plus has furniture in it...make sure there's enough space. The height of the ceiling doesn't matter as much, as your guitar travels more "backwards" than up.

-Hold your guitar over your shoulder. The hardest thing is trusting your strap locks and letting it go. Hold the guitar up slightly so the strap doesn't hang loose (or else it won't stay on your shoulder). And now, not too hard, toss it over your shoulder, when you're sure there's nothing behind you.

-If you throw it with confidence, it's more likely to come back. Don't just drop it. Otherwise, it'll hit you in the back (ouch) and bang it's headstock on the floor. Predict it's path of travel and determine how much power you need.

If you can be bothered to read all that, I hope it helps!
Let them give you a small solo where you can "Play with your tongue". Just keep doing legatos and you'll get em! .
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Be careful before doing the spin thing, we've all seen that video of alexi laiho spinning his guitar into his arse....
^Vid?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^LOL owned.

That's what he gets for only using bridge pick ups!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by rafarquhar

Get strap locks.
So you don't throw your guitar across the room.

yeah this dude i know did it on stage without them and it smacked some girl in the face...
A) Learn to breathe fire, that shouldn't damage your guitar.
B) Learn how to do a back flip (They're really easy actually.)
C) Brutally kill somebody on stage, it's a brutal ass stage trick, just don't tell anybody that I told you that.

But if you're that interested in throwing your guitar over your head, get Schaller Strap Locks, a big room, and something soft for your floor area, so if your guitar falls you won't damage it.

Cover your head too, because when you spin your guitar over your head, and if it hits your head, it ****ing hurts.
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
just run around like a mad man and spin around on the ground when ur doin ur solo like angus young does
dude do not waste money on strap locks just buy a clip lok strap no glue need holds on i ve swung my guitar around alot and its fine
Ibanez s520ex
Jackson dinky rev
6505 head
Yeah behinf the head is truly easy but it seems hard .
Also doing the Batio signature trick cheers the crowd up.
You know , swithcing your hand position for every note.
Like one note normal , next note over the neck etc.
i wouldn't go into those sorts of things straight away. if you are that boring therre will be you standing there being boring then all of a sudden you do something awesome that lasts a few seconds then your back to being boring. just feel the music, and move to the music, that's all you should need to do.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I've been trying to get down the mechanics of the duckwalk, but I can't do it. I have found no how-to vids yet.
Ben
Quote by Jinskee
^LOL owned.

That's what he gets for only using bridge pick ups!

I only use my bridge pickup! (most of the time)

EDIT: Also to the guy above, I have noticed theres no how to's on the internet, wiki kinda tells you whats going on but has no clear explaination on how too. I think its some kinda trade secret that Chuck Berry passed onto Angus Young, Angus probably has some guy hes teaching now!
Last edited by sofubar at May 31, 2007,
Quote by shred2death
dude do not waste money on strap locks just buy a clip lok strap no glue need holds on i ve swung my guitar around alot and its fine

Pay no attention to the man behind those intarnets.
Play with your teeth or tongue, really easy i did a blues improv with my teeth. . while i was practicing in my room
But I've been invited to jam with a guitarist at next years Rory Gallagher tribute festival so if i get a decent solo i'll rape a pentatonic solo with my teeth, behind my head and everything
Dude, just stay in power stance and ****ing rock.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
IMO, stage tricks are good fun and all. But what it really comes down to is the playing, and I find that if your really good at this wood piece of wood with six strings we call a guitar, then the crowd will be pleased no matter what. Don't use stage shenanigans to cover up your playing. Look at guys like Slash, he has huge stage presence, and doesn't spin his guitar behind his back etc.
Be cool.
Headbanging works...why don't you like it?

I spin a lot, like in hardcore dancing or w/e and I twist the guitar to the side of my body or in the air...gets the crowd going.
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab
-Krankenstein Head
-ESP Eclipse II
Actual tricks come second to stage presence.

You've got to just move with the music, thrash into a chord as everyone comes crashing in band wise, power stance when doing a cool riff, lean into the crowd a bit when doing a solo...just stuff like that.

After that I started jumping and playing behind my back and head. They come second. If you **** up a solo in front of you, it's a lot less embarrasing than drawing attention to yourself by playing behind your head then cocking up.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay