So, even though I've played live numerous times, I never had to palm mute. But now that I'm into heavy shit, obviously there's a lot of palm muting involved. When I'm sat, everything's fine. But when I try to palm mute while standing, I can't seem to find a comfortable position. If I kind of raise the neck, I can play lead very well and reach all the frets, but can't possibly fit my hand onto the bridge to palm mute. If I lower the neck, thus raising the bridge, I can fit my hand onto it and palm mute, but can't play anything else because the frets are too far.

Any help?! Please...
for rent
Try bring up the guitar a bit more, it'll be a lot more comfortable...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, the guitar is too low is all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Try doing the gothic lunge so you can rest your guitar on your knee, or just rest a leg on something so you can use it to angle the guitar a bit better.
How high do you have your guitar?

Strap it up higher and you'll probably find it easier.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you want to preserve looks, you can try leaning over more? Look at Hetfield, he wears his guitars mighty low and he just took a more bending over approach.

Or just raise the strap.
haha
Grow longer arms...or you could just raise your guitar.

^agreed.

Imo, playing your guitar up to your belly or higher makes you look cool. *shrugs*
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Ahem... I know you all think I wear my guitar very low cause it's cool and all, but actually I wear my guitar almost Morello-like. I mean, I guess I could raise my strap even more and see what happens, but it's high enough in my opinion. You know, a normal kind of height.

I mean, I can just keep my foot on the "toolbox" or whatever it's called, but it's boring as hell to be standing in one position... I wanna run around like an ass and have fun
for rent
Just make sure the guitar is above belt height, you shouldn't be having problems above that zone.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah, but thanks for the advice anyway I mean, it seems like a logical thing to do since like 10 people said the same thing.
for rent
What kind of guitar is it anyway? I find my epi g400 is amazingly effective and comfortable for palm mutes - sitting or standing. But my strat copy well I just find the bridge too far back to do it comfortably (I assume though if I kept practing i'd get used to the strat and get a good technique for it)
It's a Strat alright, but I played my last show with a Les Paul (they said it was real, but I'm still sceptical, so let's say it was a copy) - it was better, of course, but since Strat is MY guitar I kind of care about it, not about the Les Paul.

But it isn't too "metal" to have your guitar on your chest, is it?.. :-/
for rent