can i do damage if my bass is high on my amp? (smoke on the water sounds beastly)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
i doubt it. it probably wouldn't explode, it should be designed to cope with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Nope, it's entirely fine. Just your personal EQ settings, the amp wouldn't have it set for it if it was going to damage the amp.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
threadstarter, i like your sig, your title, your avatar...you rock my friend.

neways, its not going to kill your amp. itll survive.
lol i have my bass set to full on both my eq's
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by punk_isntemo12
threadstarter, i like your sig, your title, your avatar...you rock my friend.

neways, its not going to kill your amp. itll survive.

Hm... i was kinda thinking he sucks for asking a stupid question and liking a horrible band. W/e just my option.

It wont hurt the amp.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
The EQs are like volume controls, if you turn all EQs to zero (not flat) it will virtualy cut out the volume, what this means is that from the flat position (usualy 12-o-clock) you can boost the signal beyond that of the volume/level/gain control settings.
What this means in practice is that if you are already running at high levels and you suddenly turn the Bass control up to full then you can cause damage to most amplifiers especialy if in doing so you cause the output stage to distort/clip.
Eighth note root bashing (no disrespect) can be harmful because the signal is almost continuous.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Masturbasser
It wont hurt it unless its a Behringer.

Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Masturbasser
It wont hurt it unless its a Behringer.

In Soviet Russia, Behringer hurts you!

...seriously.

On track, John Swift is, of course, correct.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
well i have a behringer and it doesn't hurt..
doesn't hurt at all,its a 60w amp and puts my room shaking
so... you guys, the people that say that practice 4 to 5 hours a day and know all about bass...
STFU
behringer is not that bad,maybe its bad for you, cause your mommy's and daddy's got money and can buy you a ashdown or a GK well i got to pay for my stuff and when you pay for your stuff its not that bad!!
AbsentMind
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
you guys, the people that say that practice 4 to 5 hours a day and know all about bass...
STFU
behringer is not that bad,maybe its bad for you, cause your mommy's and daddy's got money and can buy you a ashdown or a GK well i got to pay for my stuff and when you pay for your stuff its not that bad!!

Please, dont get pissy because your amp sucks. Where i am it is 7:30 in the morning, and I am getting ready to leave work, yea im here cus mommy and daddy pay for my stuff. sTFU, noob.
Quote by FeatherBreeze
schecter4183 after that comment you are my hero, lol
you opened up a new world of insulting people for me
Quote by sTx
You, sir, are sex.
Quote by Alix_D
But how did you know it was virgin ass? Did you ask the ass?
lol,so im the noob?
im not pissed because my amp sucks, i know my amp sucks!
im pissed because people talk of subjects they dont know...
ok maybe not all the "shiny" material come from mom´s and daddy´s for some, but for others do!,
i got a Behringer and it sounds good...,not the best but it works well for me, i dunno why other people coplain about something they dont know!
thats is what pisses me off!
AbsentMind
girls, please.

Always get the best you can afford. Nobody should be mocking anyone for the kit they have - only pricks mock others over such things.

As John has said, it can harm it if it's done suddenly but you should be ok if you set you EQ and then turn your volume up until you get to a satisfavtory level. Watch for clipping. Also, beware if you have an active bass, as this will be raising the signals even more and you could end up overloading your amp.
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
well i have a behringer and it doesn't hurt..
doesn't hurt at all,its a 60w amp and puts my room shaking
so... you guys, the people that say that practice 4 to 5 hours a day and know all about bass...
STFU

I'm sorry, but I work hard for my money. We are entitled to our opinions on Behringer and their lacklustre gear. Back when they were germany based they were regarded as one of the best mixer and PA manufacturers.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Back when they were germany based they were regarded as one of the best mixer and PA manufacturers.

.....for the price.
It really depends on the amp. The idea that "they wouldn't give you the option to put it up all the way if it couldn't handle it" is not a very good rule of thumb. Sometimes you'll want to pump up the bass for example, and lower the mid and treble for example, so they'll allow you to put the bass above the norm for that purpose. The lack of mid/high tones can adjust for the high bass and it wont hurt it (please note I'm saying to do this, just that some people do for some sounds). However, if you boost all of the EQ ranges to huge levels, and then crank the volume, some amps just cannot handle everything on full like that. Use your own discretion. If you have it turned up crazy high, and the amps cutting out or clipping or making any really odd sounds, it's probably having issues dealing with it.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Applehead
.....for the price.

Whoops

yes, for the price
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
lol,so im the noob?
ok maybe not all the "shiny" material come from mom´s and daddy´s for some, but for others do!,
i got a Behringer and it sounds good...,not the best but it works well for me, i dunno why other people coplain about something they dont know!
Behringer gear usualy does sound good while it works; but, at this moment in time it suffers from a well deserved poor reputation as far as I'm concerned regarding their gear that I've had the misfortune to own.
If and when they get their horrendos backup service and quality control sorted out it will be good value for money.
Most people on this site only talk from experience or knowledge, so calm down and join in.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
really the answer is if you can hear it distorting or cliping thats not good

plus if the back of the head heats up alot thats not good as can cause it to cut out suddenly (this can be due to too high input levels eg active with gain/input turned up high but master low)

really its your amp you know it best !!
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
lol,so im the noob?

You just said it sucks........

THIS PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT HAVE PROBABLY PLAYED OR OWNED A BEHRINGER AMP! (me being one of them)

and yes u are the noob
Quote by brandooon
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
lol,so im the noob?

i dont know about this subject cuz i got my amp in jan. i just started guitar on x-mas
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by John Swift
Most people on this site only talk from experience or knowledge, so calm down and join in.

+1
I HAVE a behringer and I am talking from experience.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
I keep my "bass" knob all the way rightwise ALWAYS. Never had a prob. It may clip sometimes if you really tug the strings, but never had any damage to LSs.
I guess amps are built to manage that
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
Most... what about the rest?
geeze!

You mean the ones that aren't posting on this topic?

I have had not one but TWO Behringer amps suffer massive failures within 10 minutes of plugging in to them. In both cases they were right out of the box; one failure was a short that ended up in a small fire, the other was just a component failing and rendering the amp useless.

None of the stores in my region carry Behringer amps anymore. Many used to, but a large number of returns due to failures and general dissatisfaction convinced them that Behringer is not a good product to carry.

Just because your particular Behringer has not given you problems (indeed, you are not the only one, there are a few members on this forum who have, so far, had only good experience with Behringer) does not mean that on the whole Behringer is a good company. Collective experience has shown quite the opposite, so sit down and shut up.

Argument closed.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
Most... what about the rest?
geeze!
If you just shut up and grow up you just may well get along on this forum otherwise go to the pit where your kind of conduct belongs.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn