Ok. So, I read something about how some ambient musician built his own lap steel when he was like ten, and I've kind of been ****ing around with the idea of making my own stringed instrument. But I don't want to just make a guitar or lap steel, because it's not going to be great quality and i could just buy one instead. I want to make a unique instrument.

I want it to be tuned in kind of a down tuned guitar/bass range - I don't know how many strings I want in there, though. I think it's going to stand up like a double bass, and you'll pluck the string(s) [i might actually only have one long string), and "fret" the string(s) with this round piece of metal about four inches long that I found (it sounds great when I use it as a slide on my guitar).

As for how many strings, I decided that I'm probably going to get one long string (maybe like the G or D string on a bass guitar or even double bass, but i heard they're very expensive) and then take the lighter strings in a 12-string guitar set and use them as sympathetic drone strings.

But, if I were making use of microtones and using a slide, and I didn't have any fret markers, then it would be pretty hard to hit a perfect note to get the sympathetic strings to ring out, right?

I dunno - i might try that, I guess. I might just mount the string between two pegs on a board, hillbilly style. If you don't think that would work, what might?

And that whole problem with making the drone strings work is bothering me. Do you have any suggestions? Is there any way I could retain the whole slide-only aspect but still use sympathetic strings?

Plus, I need to make a resonating body, which is going to be a huge pain in the ass. How could I go about doing that?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
Build it with the capability to make toast.
Quote by Shib

The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
I will duct-tape a toaster to it, and i can strike the toaster with my slide as a percussion instrument when i'm not playing any notes. genius.

Seriously, though, i think putting in a little metal plate I could tap would be cool. Despite the fact that your post was intended solely to be of no value at all, i think you may have given me an excellent idea. thanks!
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
Quote by Friggly

and nachos
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Friggly

I have no idea about making instruments sry...

But when I was younger, I would take rubberbands and put them across a tupperware containter lid, and strum the rubberbands. and it made guitar-like noises......that doesnt help tho... sry man

good luck
haha ^

Incinerate!
that would solve the resonating problem, but i suck so bad at electronics and only barely understand how pickups and the like work. plus, that'd be expensive.

I think i'd rather go with a more natural-sounding, acoustic instrument. But making a body for it to resonate in will be a pain in the ass - i'm no carpenter.

Incinerate!
Quote by GarageGuitarist
I will duct-tape a toaster to it, and i can strike the toaster with my slide as a percussion instrument when i'm not playing any notes. genius.

Seriously, though, i think putting in a little metal plate I could tap would be cool. Despite the fact that your post was intended solely to be of no value at all, i think you may have given me an excellent idea. thanks!

wrong word for the pit
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by Toms' anominous
wrong word for the pit

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
build it in the shape of a wang