My parents are pushing me into specific jobs, having me do research and such, and i know i want to do something with music, but chances are i won't make it as a guitarist. I was wondering what it would take to build custom guitars. What classes would i need to take in high school and college, and is it a good career option? Any help would be much appreciated.
Wrong Forum

i forgive the feb 07er
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You need math, and tech classes.
Are there any special computer courses you could take?
Knowing your way around with computer design programs can be extremely helpful.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by Woogles
Wrong Forum

i forgive the feb 07er

Art / Graphics.

That'd be a big one.

and maybe business studies or similar if your school w/e offers it.

Woodworking would be the most important though.
Obviously woodworking class. Probably work up into an advanced course.

I agree with alex_haeni on the math course; there's a lot of mathematical nonsense that goes into how a guitar works, believe it or not. And again, an advanced course would help, probably.
Spiral Out
I wouldn't. It's apparently not very rewarding, and it's so hard making ends meet that many guitar builders turn to everyday carpentry instead.
How about someone who works for fender, gibson, ibanez etc. how do they get those jobs and do they make good money?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
woodworking classes. etc. but i mean that would be a rough job. youd have to go somewhere where you could really drum up some business. cuz around me no one would even know what a custom guitar is. and why it would be alot more expensive. so idk. maybe like music tech or something. but i wouldnt reccomend that carreer. thats a little shaky on the cash flow reliability.
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)
Quote by si!
My parents are pushing me into specific jobs, having me do research and such, and i know i want to do something with music, but chances are i won't make it as a guitarist. I was wondering what it would take to build custom guitars. What classes would i need to take in high school and college, and is it a good career option? Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you actually tried to build a guitar? Despite what some have suggested, you don't need advanced math skills to build a guitar. You'll need woodworking skills obviously although far less than some would suggest depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're going to build custom guitars then the likelihood is that you'll be working for yourself. That takes a lot of discipline. You'll also need to understand how a business runs, learn to advertise effectively, act as your own salesperson, and likely be your own book keeper as well.

Regards,

Rob
Dude dont say you wont make it or you wont...

Have some faith at least...
Quote by IbanezSA160
To make a ringing sound with your guitar, take the guitar and ram it as hard as you can into your balls.

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.