I've been saving to upgrade amps and have around $2,000. I've heard some clips and seen some reviews that lead me to beleive that these are some of the best amps ever made. Unfortunately I'm also aware of the $3500 cost for just the head. I'm wondering if it's worth the cash, or whether there are less expensive options. Thanks.
They are very nice, as would be expected of a boutique amp. I hear nice things about Diezel amps as well.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
If you're after a super hotrodded marshall sound, that's one place to get it.

Splawn and Soldano make excellent amps in that vein, the Bogner XTC is another great marshall-esque amp. They're all different, though.

You should be able to find a SLO-100 for around $2,000 on ebay. So, if you like the amp there is hope yet for your dreams!

My advice: Play as many of them as you can, and play ones you probably wouldn't look at anyway. $2000 can buy you ALOT of amp.
Maybe try a Soldano Hot Rod 50/100? It basically has the same circuitry as the SLO but has one channel instead of two. It's what I'm dreaming of getting when I really get a good amp. And btw the SLO100 is my favorite amp EVER made

There are some clips of it at this site, along with a bunch of other amps you could possibly be interested in

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
^^ I thought it was the Avenger that was just one channel. From what I understood, the HR-50 had 2 channels, but was just worse construction. Avenger runs about $1600 USD, the HR-50 runs about $2000. If your up for more versatility, theres also the Decatone (3 channels) that runs $2700.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
If you're after a super hotrodded marshall sound, that's one place to get it.

Splawn and Soldano make excellent amps in that vein, the Bogner XTC is another great marshall-esque amp. They're all different, though.

You should be able to find a SLO-100 for around $2,000 on ebay. So, if you like the amp there is hope yet for your dreams!

My advice: Play as many of them as you can, and play ones you probably wouldn't look at anyway. $2000 can buy you ALOT of amp.

+1

Cornford would be another one which gives a similar tone, a little woodier. Brunetti can get that too, the xlr-evo is nice in that respect.

The soldano avenger would be worth a look, it's very nice. Haven't tried the slo, but yeah, the avenger is excellent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, what exactly are you looking for in an amp? I.E. styles, versatility, etc. I'm pretty sure Soldanos are best for hard rock. (?)
Yeah mainly hard rock. If I'm gonna spend 2000 on an amp I really don't want to comprimise for versatility, just get an amp that does exactly what I want it do amazingly.
They have a lot of affordable amps. It really goes from about 500 bucks to about 3,000. All the amps OD are based on the SLO circuitry with some mild differences. Some have clean channels and things like reverb/vibrato. They are really incredible amps and any you choose would be a great addition to your collection.
Sorry about the double post, but Yamaha actually has an amp that Mike Soldano designed to sound like the SLO. It seems to be a hit or miss, but I have never personally tried one.