So all lefty bassists know that we are severely limited in our bass selection. What is up with that? I mean I know it will cause the companies to spend a little more money, but it just sucks to be looking on the net or at a catalog and you see a sweet bass and can't even consider playing or buying one because it doesn't come in a lefty model. Before I bought my Fender Standard Jazz Bass I had my eye on the Epiphone Thunderbird's, but then came to find out that...there was no left-handed model. Any other lefty's want to vent their bass discrimination rage out go right ahead. Haha I just thought I would put all that out there. p.s. I love my jazz bass, so everything turned out ok.
Fender Jazz Bass (lefty)
Epiphone Les Paul (lefty)
ha ha, there was a huge article about this in bass guitar magazine. it does suck for lefties, a stingray costs almost £400 more for you and gibson dont produce any bases in a left hand model, fender about 2% of their bases in left hand form and warwick who offer all their bases in left hand still only make about 5% of all their bases in left hand models
yeah man thats what I'm talking about. Its like the companies are punishing us for being left-handed by charging us more for the same guitar that a right-handed person buys.
Fender Jazz Bass (lefty)
yeah, they charge more because they have to re program cutting tools, make unique parts and adjust the whole assembley line. if i was a lefty i'd deffinitely suffer but learn to play right handed just so i could save cash
Yeah but then it wouldnt be as cool. Haha that sounds gay, but it is cool to see a lefty on stage, because its unique and all. Which I started out playing right handed, but I hated it so I had to go lefty.
Fender Jazz Bass (lefty)
yeah, i suppose you have people like paul mccartney to look up to. maybe you should do what he did, go and get a custom deal with a company so you get the best bass you want
Honestly I think it's stupid to learn on a left handed bass. It makes way more sense to just learn on a right handed bass and just take a little more time to do it. There's a few reasons but mainly Money and You can't go over to your friends house and show off your sweet skills because chances are he has a right handed one.
Wasn't there some guitar player who just flipped a right handed guitar and strung it backwards? I'd imagine you could do the same on bass if you got long enough strings.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Honestly I think it's stupid to learn on a left handed bass. It makes way more sense to just learn on a right handed bass and just take a little more time to do it. There's a few reasons but mainly Money and You can't go over to your friends house and show off your sweet skills because chances are he has a right handed one.

^if life were only that easy. My husband is a true left hander (strongly dominant left hand). What you are stating to do, would be a real struggle for him since in music your dominant hand is the hand that determines musical expression when playing guitar. (There's a whole study out there on this, btw) There are some people, like my kid, who can musically switch from left to right hand with a little readjustment (for instance, he has no problem with my husband's left handed drum set up), but they are as far as I know, the exception rather than the rule.

The problem with all left handed items, whether guitars or your common pair of scissors, is that its unfortunately determined by the laws of supply and demand. Left handers make up about 10% of the general population, so economically, its not as cost effective for a manufacturer to make a left handed guitar or bass as its is to mass produce items for the other 90% of the population who is right handed.
Quote by Hergiswi
Wasn't there some guitar player who just flipped a right handed guitar and strung it backwards? I'd imagine you could do the same on bass if you got long enough strings.

Hendrix? I am a very strong left hander, the only thing i do right handed is play bass, im not as quick as i could be but after 3 years of playing, im pretty close to where i would be if i started left handed. And for me it felt more natural to play right handed.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^And on the note of supply and demand, another problem comes with the dealers tehmselves. They don't ahve enough of a market for them to even supply them half the time. Schecter in particular has a very good selection of lefty models (the entire Stiletto line is available in lefty) but you can't find anyone who carries them. I really feel for the people who are left-handed and are for wahtever reason incapable of finding something that suits them. Its not easy to follow a passion like music when there aren't any instruments for you to play.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
^And on the note of supply and demand, another problem comes with the dealers tehmselves. They don't ahve enough of a market for them to even supply them half the time. Schecter in particular has a very good selection of lefty models (the entire Stiletto line is available in lefty) but you can't find anyone who carries them. I really feel for the people who are left-handed and are for wahtever reason incapable of finding something that suits them. Its not easy to follow a passion like music when there aren't any instruments for you to play.

I find it hard to find the schecter i want in right handed anyway! I have found one place that stocks it and its an ebay shop. 2 more weeks and i have the money for it !
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
play hendrix style
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i actually played left handed, however, i started to learn on a right handed bass when i began, so i just flip it over, had everything re-drilled for strap purposes and i play it like that, not as expensive as i thought it would be actually
Quote by indie-bassist
Hendrix?

Ok, I thought so. All I knew is that it was some black guy with an afro.
I'm inept when it comes to names. =P
yea well it sux, everything i buy i have to buy lefty, i was told to hendrix my stuff but thats so much for me, i need something with the right (great pun) feel and if its not lefty i just cant play it, whenever people play my bass they are like its so upside its so hard, and im like its hard for you? try having 95 percent of the things you try to play be backwards