i posted this in the bass forum but no-one wanted to help me there for some reason so i'm gonna try in here instead.

i've just bought a cheap bass as my band is short of a bassist so i'm filling in until we get a permanent bassist (i play guitar). at the moment i'm going to be using an old guitar amp until i can afford/ find a good bass amp to use. what amp do you guys recommend? i'm not going to have much money but i'm gonna need it to be able to play small gigs, would a 60 watt amp be loud enough? my style of music is mainly punk but i sometimes play a bit of metal aswell if that helps
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
If you're going to use an old guitar amp, drop some money into a bass cabinet, as guitar speakers aren't designed to handle bass frequencies, and it'll sound crap, and they may eventually blow.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
how much would a bass cab be?

and how would i hook it all up?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Does the guitar amp that you're using have a speaker out?

Bass cabs range in price greatly, but your best bet would be to buy a 1x15 or 2x10 unpowered speaker (aka pa speaker). You're looking at a couple hundred dollars.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
for the prices of the cabs i could buy a normal bass amp so i think i'm gonna go with that option
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
you need close to 2.5-3x the wattage of your guitarist amp, give or take some...the general rule for bass amps
Well that depends how big your guitarist's amp is . 100 watts of SS power should be adequate if your band isn't psycho loud.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
damn my amp for my guitar is 50watts and my other guitarist is using my 60watt amp atm so i'd need a 150watt bass amp right?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
no, 100 watts would be fine.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
do you reckon 90 watts would be okay? i've seen a 90watt amp for fairly cheap but i don't think i'm ognna be able to afford a 100watt+ amp for a long time
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Yeah, there's pretty much no difference in volume.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.