Hi, I'm new here To skip the BS scroll down for the questions

I just started playing the electric guitar last month, spur of the moment thing(but a big fan of guitar ever since I heard my dad's aerosmith casette tape), I was at a local mall and just decided to buy me an Ibanez (rg2550ex, it looks cool so I bought it) and some amp(Marshall AVT20 something, looked big enough for a first amp), yes I totally have no idea if what I bought was decent. I've been playing piano(was forced to) since I was 8.. it's gotten kind of boring now (I'm 21) so I decided to take up guitar, since I'll be having one whole year free and I'd rather spend my time teaching myself guitar than letting my brain rot playing online games/Xbox

The first song I tought myself to play(Guitar Pro speed trainer is amazing) is Mr. Crowley(<3 Randy Rhoads), I can play the solos decently, but I still sometimes **** up.

I practice 5+ hours a day(since last month), it's also getting easier to play longer since my fingertips on my left hand are getting mutated ( having calluses )

Questions:
Can a complete newbie expect to be able to play much more difficult music like Vai,DT stuff in a year? Or am I too old to be able to play stuff that difficult and I should stick to piano? lol

The stuff I bought(Ibanez RG2550ex and a Marshall AVT20 amp) any good, for a beginner at least? I don't know **** so I picked a guitar that looked cool, and bought it.
i've been playing for 3 years now and i cant play vai's fast stuff. ibanez rgs are in general great imo, and the marshall is good too. a lot of people will tell you "omfg you should get an all-valve thing and avoid all others like the plague!", or, more simply "avt's are shit" but imo they're fine for a beginner. i only got my first valve amp last month, cos my beginning amp was fine for me.
If you bust your ass maybe... Dont give up
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
You can play what ever you buckle down and decide to learn. If you spend 5 hours a day learning a Steve Vai solo you will eventually get it whether you've been playing a year or ten years . . . However, this being said, you are better off spending time learning proper playing technique and building a foundation of skills when you first start playing. I've seen way too many guitarists grind it out and learn that "one" song, only to miss every other aspect of playing. The result? They can play that "one" song ... but, they can't play anything else, they can't play with other people, or interact musically. You also don't want to force yourself to learn that "one" song, learn it with improper technique, and later realize that you can't reach certain speeds or stretches because you've bypassed the basics. So decided, how important is that "one" song at this point? Yes, it is good to buckle down, learn something difficult and push yourself, but don't get "tunnel vision". Good luck.
that guitar is is far beyond what is 'expected' for a beginner. it's pretty pro haha. im not too sure about the amp but whatever works, works.

as for the practicing regime, keep it up! 5 hours a day is pretty impressive. i only get to play that much over breaks.

as for skill level and what songs/artists would be appropriate, that should require your own discretion. if you look at a tab (im assuming youre looking at tabs) and feel that you can play it relative to other things that you know you can play/are familiar with, then go for it! who's stopping you?! just make sure you start slow and make sure you nail everything before you take the song head on, in its fullest... unless youre that damn good enough
like metalfiend said dont force yourself to try to learn something because when you go back to something else that is totaly different then what you learned youll just be lost
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by becker009
as for the practicing regime, keep it up! 5 hours a day is pretty impressive. i only get to play that much over breaks.

I have a one year "break" so I can play as much as my hands will let me.

metallfiendVT, I'm not really quite sure where to start learning technique so I just decided to learn a song I like. I just slow it down (with guitar pro) and play it until I can do it at normal speed.

Hmm.. so the amp is crap eh? lol It's okay I guess since I'm still at the crap level anyway.
Quote by The McManus
If you bust your ass maybe... Dont give up

exactly, with A LOT of practice, you can do almost anything, i've been playing for 2 1/2 years and i can play some vai and satriani licks (not complete songs)

the ibanez it's a good choice and the marshall avt (those hybrid amps, ewwwww) not the best but halfway decent
great guitar, the amp is okay. five hours a day is nothing, if you wanna play like vai, you need three times that.

literally.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
great guitar, the amp is okay. five hours a day is nothing, if you wanna play like vai, you need three times that.

literally.

I'm sure he wants a life though too. Sure he doesn't wanna lose his job, his friends, and everything else he has.
Quote by tubab0y

literally.

not really, 5 hours it's enough

you're goint to improve really fast(or hate guitar) quickly
Man, as long as you don't burn yourself out you should be good..

Just learn songs, play scales, do exersizes, learn theory, start a band...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Symphonic Waves
I'm sure he wants a life though too. Sure he doesn't wanna lose his job, his friends, and everything else he has.

You're wrong about the life part Ever since I could decently play piano my social life basically died lol. I work for our family company. "work" That's why I have a 1 year break.

Working on the exercises. (not sure about scales yet) Thank you for the replies.
Last edited by GuitarNoob85 at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by deluxity
not really, 5 hours it's enough

you're goint to improve really fast(or hate guitar) quickly

no, really, 15 hours is a short day of practice for vai. he usually clocks in like 17 when he's not touring.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Learn to play all the scales you can, and start trying to learn how to use them correctly. Look up "speed drills" and "dexterity drills". Master 4-6 note patterns, then, find one you can barley play and do it again.

A good site for scales: http://www.learntoplayrockguitar.com/ - one of my former guitar teachers - the modes are correct (in the more "classical fingering" - you can also google the scales and find 3 nps for playing faster - take one scale, and learn as many fingerings for it as you can) ... scales are good, even if you don't solo that much, because they stretch your musical brain (wow, that actually sounds lame, but u get it).

And everyone who likes good lead guitar should read this whole site: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/MLS_01.html

I'm a big vai fan as you can tell
Quote by Symphonic Waves

That IS his job
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic