So, i'm starting to feel that my amp is lacking per say in volume, when i get it to any real band practice level it starts sounding a bit shabbier. I decided i should invest in something larger for the band and keep the smaller one at home for personal practice.

anyway, to the important stuff. I can easily save money up, i'm looking for something around the £600 mark to be honest, and i'd like it to be pretty tone neutral since i play a fair amount of genres. head and cab would be good, but a combo is alright.
i found this http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_kruegerharley_benton_backline_600b115h_set.htm which seems reasonably priced, but i'm not sure on the cab!

so, the tone elitest of you, help!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Don't buy harley benton stuff, it sucks completely. Look at the ashdown mag series or if you can stretch a little bit, maybe the abm

Edit: from what i've heard the gk backline stuff is good, i'm just not a fan of gk.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Mar 3, 2007,
^ +1 on the ashdown, I own one, they're great.

Also look into harkte's, a gig I played last week I was using a hartke 1/2 stack, can't remember the model but it had a great tone. If a little compressed for my liking, but still great.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by indie-bassist
Don't buy harley benton stuff, it sucks completely. Look at the ashdown mag series or if you can stretch a little bit, maybe the abm

how about the backline head and a mag210 cab?

hmmm.

also, i don't want anything too huge (like 4x10 with 1x15 and 20000000w) because i do actually need to carry it out of a car! which is why i was thinking of a head and a 2x10, because then i can buy a 1x15 later on for it or something.

edit: i sound hopelessly lost because i am! this is a major milestone

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Mar 3, 2007,
yeah the ashdowns are amazing, so many tone variations, you could look at some ampegs like the b-100r
^I'm not really looking for vintage jazz tones

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
how about the backline head and a mag210 cab?

hmmm.

also, i don't want anything too huge (like 4x10 with 1x15 and 20000000w) because i do actually need to carry it out of a car! which is why i was thinking of a head and a 2x10, because then i can buy a 1x15 later on for it or something.

edit: i sound hopelessly lost because i am! this is a major milestone

I'm in the same position as you at the moment, i think the backline and 2x10 would probably be a good idea if you want it to be portable. I think applehead plays through gk backline stuff so maybe pm him? And personally i think ashdown stuff is great, my teacher plays through one of their high end combos and its awesome, and i use one of their low end combos for gigs and its a really good amp despite being pretty cheap.
Quote by Bumper

oh my bad, i didnt see you talking about getting a 210 cab and head. yeah the good thing about getting that is its portable, good sounding and if you ever need to get a louder set up, just buy a 410 cab. i think that and the mag cab would be a nice little rig
now theres my main problem. i could whittle it down to a GK backline 600 + 210BLX or a Mag 300h and a mag210 for the extra £60?

damn choices!

edit: i've also got like no time to go and try out these things myself!

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Mar 3, 2007,
i prefer ashdown over anything so i would say go for the mag head, i was about to get that half stack but the shop hadnt any in stock and i needed it then so i got the combo version instead.
I'm also an ashdown person, plus, i think that the chrome faced heads when rackmounted look as awesome as they sound.
Quote by Bumper

yeah, im assuming you havent played them so if you can, go to a shop which stocks them. you might completely hate the ashdown and love the gk or might love the ashdown and hate the gk.
^the thing is the nearest place is either manchester/chester, and i am not travelling to find they don't stock them

Quote by metaldud536

lol, i have that problem, the nearest place for me is a few hours away. i always phone them up first just to ask if they have them in stock and are ready to play
^yea. then again, i need to get out of northwich now and again, and i might find something else i like.

ho-hum.

Quote by metaldud536

Personally, I use a backline 600 head, and I love it. 300 watts is plenty of power. I suggest finding a 1x15 with a horn, especially if you play a 5 string (or in dropped tunings). My friend has the same head that I do, and he uses an ampeg 1x15 cab. It sounds excellent, and he's playing a $200 washburn. I would look into the Backline 600 head and an ampeg cab, it's a great little rig.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
For me, i would always go with the RB series and upwards with GK. You can get a backline cab, which is what i have. but the RB heads are superior.

I think mine totalled to about £750, so it may be worth saving up a little more if you can. if i were you, i'd be looking at Ashdown or GK stuff. But Hartke (whoever said it above) are decent too, but i would advise testing if possible..

But yeah, i love my GK set up