I have a Gibson SG with a crack in the neck. I want to repair the crack but the crack is tight and has no room to get glue in it. Is it a bad idea to force the crack open to get some glue in it? Or is there another way to fix it?
The bigger the crack, the bigger the problem. I would advise against opening the crack.
Get a toothpick and put alittle glue on that and stick it in the crack (omg that sounds so weird), anyway, is it smaller than a toothpick?
Just take it into a shop they will repair it. That happend to my friend a few weeks ago. He had it under warranty and took it in and they fixed it for him.
hahaha, I actually just looked into this last night. The model they used was an Ibanez with a completely broken off headstock though.

All they he did was brushed on some really high bond glue (more than wood glue) and put vices around it over night.

*One long vice holding from the top of the headstock-->tip of bodies end. Then another, smaller, vice holding right where the crack was.

Make sure to use paper towel, or something soft, so you don't mar your finish.
it might just be a finish crack. DO NOT make it bigger.

take a picture of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
somehoe wanage to get glue in it, worse comes to worse, buy a new one from ebay
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by Klipsch21
I have a Gibson SG with a crack in the neck. I want to repair the crack but the crack is tight and has no room to get glue in it. Is it a bad idea to force the crack open to get some glue in it? Or is there another way to fix it?

Post this in the Guitar Building and Customizing forum - click here. Lots of pros and savvy builders there.

Ok, I will post it there. I cant fit anything in the crack not a toothpick and barly a piece of paper.
like i said, it might be a finish crack. dont play with it. post a pic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

is that at the top by the headstock?

when u press lightly on the neck, does the crack widen?

are u getting any buzzing when playing the guitar acoustically?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It doesnt open when I press on it, although Im afraid to press too hard. There is no difference in playing at all.

Yes thats the headstock.
if it seems like a surface crack u should be ok.

repost in the custom section, but if ur not sure, ur going to want to take it into a small shop. let the guy test how deep this crack is.

headstock cracks can be repaired in most cases.

did it take a fall?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Im not sure what the crack is from. Its a 97 and has seen its fair share of bumps and bruises. Im thinking I might refinish it this summer, but I'm just wondering what I should do with this crack as it doesnt seem possible to get glue in it.
again, yeah, hard to tell but if u think it's anything more than surface crack, u should bring it in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62