Title pretty much explains it. I'm a noob at figuring out what scale to play over a certain chord progression, so could someone help me? The song is one of my band's, a Latin-y rhythm.
Harmonic minor scale should work.

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 8.

So in C, it'd be C D Eb F G Ab B C.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^Harmonic minor will work over i-Δ - V7b9, but I find a lot of people have trouble working with the harmonic minor over chords because they tend to get lost and stay on notes, as as you probably know most of the notes from harmonic minor sound sour when held over most chords. C and Eb over G7b9, Ab over the C-Δ, and Eb and B if it's played as part of a iiø - V7b9 - i-Δ. I find I tend to use it over just the V7b9 chord as part of a iiø - V7b9 - i-Δ, using the respective melodic minors over the ii and i chord. So instead of playing something like F melodic minor over Dø, Ab melodic minor over G7alt and C melodic minor over C-Δ, I'll use the V7b9 instead of V7alt and stick harmonic minor over it - or play half/whole over the G7b9 to imply a #9 and #11.. I usually prefer that to the altered mode.

Another possibility is the whole-tone scale over the V7 chord, you can use a straight dominant chord, but more it's more common to see whole tone played over G7#5, with the #11 being implied in the melody.

Threadstarter.. it's generally considered that one scale doesn't perfectly fit any minor V - i or ii - V - I progression.. which is why you'll seldom see one specific scale used over the whole progression (Psychodelias suggestion of harmonic minor will work, but it is rarely played in it's entirety over the progression because of the amount of 'avoid notes' I mentioned)..but those are some suggestions to help you choose.
with a progression like that, I'd probably just play minor and raise the 7 whenever I was on the V7

V7 - i - V7 - i - iv - i - V7 - i

django stylee
In the key of D (my favorite):

Dm = D F A

A = A C# E G

The notes that we have to include are: D E F G A C#

Now we could throw in a B natural or a Bb.

With a B natural = D E F G A B C# = melodic minor

With a Bb = D E F G A Bb C# = Harmonic minor

Or for all you guys that are picky, the D harm. minor is written: D E F G A A# C#
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Or for all you guys that are picky, the D harm. minor is written: D E F G A A# C#

... but it isn't. Your first one is right.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Ah, but I've heard somewhere that you can't have it written with #'s and b's.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Ah, but I've heard somewhere that you can't have it written with #'s and b's.

incorrect, there are a few instances in music where both a sharp and flat are needed
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
incorrect, there are a few instances in music where both a sharp and flat are needed

Hmm, like when? (I'm not challenging you or anything).

Hah, I can't argue with you, youre in mah sig.
DANNY

Scales are usually written with only one of every note. So you can't have two As, even though it'll still sound right. And yeah, I know I'm answering my own thread.
... thus the faulty of using sole scales to play over progressions. Try to play the scale of the chord thats being played at that moment, and use the non-chord tones as passing tones, but always resolve the notes within the chord.

And if all else fails, Minor Pentatonic never hurt anyone.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Scales are usually written with only one of every note. So you can't have two As, even though it'll still sound right. And yeah, I know I'm answering my own thread.

Hah. But sure you, how else is the WH scale or the HW scale written out?
DANNY