As you can see I have a line6 spider I want to get rid of. I've been looking at different amps, and I happened to glance a CrateGT65. Its cheaper yet sounds waaaay better than my spider. However, because everyone was playing loud as shit at GC I couldnt really get a good feel for the tone.

Buy it, yay or nay? My budget is 500 bucks, so I guess I could also get the Crate GT212
WTLTL 2011
First off a link would be nice. [here for the others http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GTD65-Guitar-Amplifier-?sku=480063 ]

I've found that liking Crates is really a 'preference'. Like some people like mayo, some don't. [sorry, but thats the best analogy i could come up with off the top of my head]. I like crates, but idk about the GT65. For the price I think it's a good amp, but I worry that you will buy it, then always wish you had saved longer and go something better. I recommend tubes [obviously, but I realize not always feasible], and I definitely recommend more than one speaker unless you play jazz, which I doubt you do.

There are two ways you can go about amp shopping:
1. Find that super expensive tube amp that you like the best and could never afford. Then find an amp in your price range that sounds the closest to it.
or
2. Play a bunch of amps in the same price range and see which one you like the best in comparison to only that price range.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
1. Find that super expensive tube amp that you like the best and could never afford. Then find an amp in your price range that sounds the closest to it.

or look for one on ebay after saving up a bit more. save about $1000 and amazing things are accessible.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
or look for one on ebay after saving up a bit more. save about $1000 and amazing things are accessible.

Yea, and maybe not even $1000 is necessary, but at $250 your getting the bottom end. AKA, your buying the Ford Taurus of amps.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
Yea, and maybe not even $1000 is necessary, but at $250 your getting the bottom end. AKA, your buying the Ford Taurus of amps.
but yeah i felt $1000 was shooting a bit too high.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
but yeah i felt $1000 was shooting a bit too high.

I would shoot for at least $500. If you like the Crates here are some great Tube combos!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/crate-amplifiers-speakers-footswitches-tube-hybrid-bass-amplifiers-speakers?N=100001+306271+201228&page=1

and incase you don't know, tube wattage is NOT equal to SS wattage

if your planning on playing at home only 15w of all tube is plenty. Most will agree the more you crank a tube amp, the better it sounds, and you can't crank a 50w tube in your house.

EDIT: There is a 5w tube in your price range there, but I would save and get a bit more than 5w
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Mar 4, 2007,
I heard that you can change the settings on tubes so it allows to be cranked at low volumes? Anyway, there was an incredible difference between the spider and the crate so I wonder how much better tube will be lol. Is there a lot of difference between the crate and a non-cranked tube amp?
WTLTL 2011
i tried the GT212 yesterday while shopping for amps and i really liked it. but this store had it used (and in good condition) for 300.
Quote by Mark G
I heard that you can change the settings on tubes so it allows to be cranked at low volumes? Anyway, there was an incredible difference between the spider and the crate so I wonder how much better tube will be lol. Is there a lot of difference between the crate and a non-cranked tube amp?

uhh... wait i know this.

you can get your tubes cranked at low volumes if you get an attenuator. and some amps have a switch that lowers the wattage, but i forgot what it's called, shit.

and crate solidstate vs a non-cranked tube amp? not sure what you mean, since the solid state mimics a cranked tube amp. but a tube amp can get plenty louder and still sound great, not shitty like ss at high volumes.

and, if you fear your tube amp getting too loud get an od pedal and/or a low watt amp, like 5 watts or something.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

so, you can crank a tube amp at low volumes either using an atenuator, or an OD pedal? Because yeah I can't afford to go too loud since I'll be going to college on campus.

What I was trying to get at with the crate SS vs a non-cranked tube amp is this: We can all agree that a tube amp sounds best cranked right? But is there a big difference between the sound of a SS amp and a tube amp that isn't cranked?

I've been weary of tubes because of the high volumes, which is why I wanted a crate non-tube GT65, since it sounds like a very decent SS amp.
then again, if you can crank a tube amp at low volumes that question wont matter since getting a tube amp is the obvious choise in that case.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
so, you can crank a tube amp at low volumes either using an atenuator, or an OD pedal? Because yeah I can't afford to go too loud since I'll be going to college on campus.

What I was trying to get at with the crate SS vs a non-cranked tube amp is this: We can all agree that a tube amp sounds best cranked right? But is there a big difference between the sound of a SS amp and a tube amp that isn't cranked?

I've been weary of tubes because of the high volumes, which is why I wanted a crate non-tube GT65, since it sounds like a very decent SS amp.
then again, if you can crank a tube amp at low volumes that question wont matter since getting a tube amp is the obvious choise in that case.

yeah both do the same job, but an attenuator could probably get the volume lower if needed. and if you're just going to be practicing in your dorm room, a solid state's fine. but if you're around people who know about good tone and/or playing a gig, a crate ss might not cut it.

a tube amp that isn't cranked just doesn't have as much crunch/gain to it, so an od pedal could fix that. i like that idea the best, especially if you're going to be outside, then you could get some really nice gain.

the crate gt is very decent for practice, so it's based on where you're gonna be using it.

hope that helps
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

thank you sir, all this stuff has been very informative

I should probably get a tube amp of around 400 bucks, spending the last 100 bucks on a OD pedal then. THis would probably be better than a 500 dollar SS crate
WTLTL 2011
Well if you can, try them both and decided for yourself, but I realize that isn't always possible.

What I can tell you is that down the road you will be glad you bought a good tube amp [even though it's more expensive].

So I take it you're mainly planning on playing in your dorm?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
well, at this time I am not nearly good enough for a band (only been playing for a year) and I expect that I can't turn up the volume since it would disturb others staying in the dorm. It would probably be best to buy a good tube amp with the capability to be cranked and loud naturally, but one I can keep at low volumes and crank with the OD pedal. This way I have cranked tube amp sound at any volume for any situation. Achieving this with a 500 dollar limit is going to be a feat though
WTLTL 2011
that 5w crate would do you good in a dorm, or a epi valve jr.

here is the 5w crate for only $279: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V8-Palomino-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

if you want to go up a bit in wattage the next step is 15w.

EDIT: The only down-side is its a 1x10 which I don't recommend in most cases.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
what's wrong with a 1x10? I've read that 2x12 is the best but I am not sure why
WTLTL 2011
Well the smaller the speaker the less bassy [for the most part] and IMO 10's are punchier, but to trebely. I prefer 2x12's because they are more bassy and to me 2 speakers sounds much better than one, I don't say this because of volume, but the fact that you're moving more air just brings a nicer sound. This is just IMO.
Someone else can probably better describe the differences than I.

But then again you might like the 10's just fine. My guitar teacher prefers them over 2x12's.

What kind of music are you looking to play? If it's rock or metal your not gonna want 10's, if anything a minimum would be a 1x12.

EDIT: the orignal Crate GT is not a bad amp, it's just down the road you will want something better, probably the sound of tubes. I'm just trying to get you a head of the curve. My first amp was a Crate G40C-XL, a great SS amp, but it never quite achieves the tube quality. I just figured since your wanting to upgrade from your spyder you'd want to get away from SS and like I said, get ahead of the curve.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Mar 6, 2007,
I play mostly metel, currently into stuff like Kataklysm and rimmfrost. Also play some black metal. I definitly need more bassy, so I have a nice "kachunk" when I play palm muted.

I think I'm going to try to find a nice tube amp for a decent price, theres sooo many options though.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I play mostly metel, currently into stuff like Kataklysm and rimmfrost. Also play some black metal. I definitly need more bassy, so I have a nice "kachunk" when I play palm muted.

I think I'm going to try to find a nice tube amp for a decent price, theres sooo many options though.

Yea, you definately want 12 inch speakers, and you definately want closed-back
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
im looking into the ashdown fallen angel all tube FA-40 DSP at the moment, which has 2x12, is all tube, 40 watts, and only 550 bucks. However it sais its been discontinued, and it doesnt say if it is closed back or not. I take it closed back gives more of a "kachunk"?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
im looking into the ashdown fallen angel all tube FA-40 DSP at the moment, which has 2x12, is all tube, 40 watts, and only 550 bucks. However it sais its been discontinued, and it doesnt say if it is closed back or not. I take it closed back gives more of a "kachunk"?

40 tube watts is really loud, you'll never take that even half way at your place
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
well, it has the nice speakers recommended, and does it matter if I dont turn the volume way up? I should be able to set it up so its cranked at lower volumes right?
WTLTL 2011