I have a 50's stratocaster and its excellent. However, I can not get much of a kick out of it.(When I want a deep sound, I cant get it, and when I want a pretty light sound I can only somewhat get it.) I was originally going to change the pickups, but after toying with my amp and finding out the installation prices I mostly abandoned the idea. So, should I change my pickups, or just leave my guitar the way it is and get them if it sounds like crap if me and my friends ever make a band.(We've been planning on it, but we can't find a time to meet up at.) My friend had a HSS strat and I just want a bit more of kick in my sound. As I said, I pretty much had abandoned the idea for now, but im still curious if I should add a mini humbucker or anything else.(It will cost alot and may destroy the look of my guitar, and I may decide im 100% happy with the way my guitar is.)
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Honestly, you need humbuckers. They will give you that kick you seek. The tele's are great guitars but they have a certain sound. Also, your amp could be better. I'd get a new guitar first though. Find out what sound you want and see how the pros get it. Find out what gear they use and go try some stuff at the shop.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
rule:
50's strat stays 50's strat.

Get a new guitar, for $200us you can get a pretty decent guitar, and check out second hand.

I dont know what you play, or where you are but this will give you an idea of what you could get brand new or blem:

Under $200us guitars @ Guitar Center

(i wish be had guitar center in australia...
Last edited by _3Lm0_ at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by teamzaius
Honestly, you need humbuckers. They will give you that kick you seek. The tele's are great guitars but they have a certain sound. Also, your amp could be better. I'd get a new guitar first though. Find out what sound you want and see how the pros get it. Find out what gear they use and go try some stuff at the shop.

My amp has bunches of effects, ive tried it on anywhere from clean to metal stack distortion with full gain and treble, so it has a high range.
Quote by _3Lm0_
rule:
50's strat stays 50's strat.

Get a new guitar, for $200us you can get a pretty decent guitar, and check out second hand.

I figured that rule about the classic.

The ony thing is my guitar is only about a month old, it sounded pretty sweet when I bought it but later I realised I couldn't get much kick out of it. I mean, I know I chose the right guitar because the fit and feel is great, its only the sound.

And I thought about getting a sg or les paul later and keeping this one for lighter sounds, but Ill have to wait to see how it does when I play with my friends guitar(on clean they sounded nothign alike) and it will probably be a year or half a year before Id be allowed to get another one, or afford a decent one. Pickups may be my only option for awhile.

edit: yeah I look through musiciansfriend everyday for their deal of the day. I enjoy listening to music like peter frampton or just other rock,(Dont care much for music where all the singers do is scream constanly..) but if my friends every do form a band there going toplay punk they said.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Last edited by 50's strat at Mar 3, 2007,
Deep sound? on a strat theres only band springing to mind 'MAIDEN! they have seymour hot rails and blues jr's in bridge and neck positions quite often apart from adrian who has one of the fat strats.......anyway......try changing your strings to a higher gauge (possibly 10/11's) 11 will be really thick and better on dropped tuning with brings me to my next point....try a different tuning my band is in drop b cant get much deeper (ok maybe a or e!), obviously it would make sense to back of the treble if you a deeper sound and up that bass, also try using a thicker pick , 1ml hell even 3 mil. you'd be suprised how such a simple thing as a heavier gauge string or thicker pick would change the density, try it its a much cheaper alternate to going and and going nuts and buying shitloads of electronics, that arent really needed...
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life