so i went over to a friends house the other day with another buddy. we get there.. smoke a few bowls... and then the first buddy says to me (btw all 3 of us are guitarists) "hey dude! i found something out on guitar the other day, i told Brady and im sure youll want to know it" and then hes like "ok, you know the E shape? and the F shape is pretty much the same? .. well it works like that all the way down the fretboard! like this is G, G#, A... ect.."

i was shocked... this guys been playin guitar for like 3 or 4 years more than i (ive been playin about 2) and ive known this for like more than a year... so i says "yeah, and the A chord does that too, and the D.. technically the C and G if you wanna.. oh all the minors and 7ths, everything really." and he looked at me like i had read his mind and then i said "dude, ive known this for like a year now... its like basic guitar knowledge.. scales do the same thing."

and then he kinda seemed distant the rest of the time we hung out.. like me, a "worse guitar player than he" (this guys holds himself close to god in all aspects) could ever had figured this out was a miracle..

ok.. so this has had no point to it yet, but.... i just wanted to know how long it took you guys to "figure" this out? did i catch on early cause i had a book (Total Guitar- Terry Burrows)... i dunno, when he told me i actually wanted to laugh at him and be like "damn dude! ive known this shit for a while! i could prolly teach you some things about the guitar if youre just learning this!!!" but im nice so i didnt.
ZOMG LUK ITZ A N00B

2 months with taking lessons

but man thats kinda sad, but then again no one was over his shoulder telling him what was what
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Ahaha nice story.

Well I figured that out after about 2-3 months of self-taught, but I couldn't properly bar until about 3 and half or four months. Its amazing really...
You did a few bowls right? Well then give give the poor boy a break man.
Liberation is the snake! Worms no longer moan.
yeah.. he has taught himself..

but it seems like ive had conversations with him talking about how i spend my time learning what im playing.. like chord shapes and names. and he has said he just spends his time learning tabs and what sounds good.

like i said above this guy thinks hes almighty in every aspect.. and puts me down for the dumbest shit.. like when i try to explain something to him or tell him about how i know something hes like "well i didnt have any lessons tellin me what to do, and i never used a book to learn" but i can always throw it back with "dude, i took TWO lessons.. the guy only taught me a few chord shapes"

still.. does this make me a better guitarist than him because ive know that, i prolly know more about chords, and more chord shapes, as well as prolly ten more scales patterns than he does, even if he is faster than me and has been playing longer?
Quote by hippie_cune

but it seems like ive had conversations with him talking about how i spend my time learning what im playing.. like chord shapes and names. and he has said he just spends his time learning tabs and what sounds good.

like i said above this guy thinks hes almighty in every aspect.. and puts me down for the dumbest shit.. like when i try to explain something to him or tell him about how i know something hes like "well i didnt have any lessons tellin me what to do, and i never used a book to learn" but i can always throw it back with "dude, i took TWO lessons.. the guy only taught me a few chord shapes"

still.. does this make me a better guitarist than him because ive know that, i prolly know more about chords, and more chord shapes, as well as prolly ten more scales patterns than he does, even if he is faster than me and has been playing longer?

I would not say it makes you better. You just have further knowledge, maybe because you had a headstart (lessons) as to where he didn't. You do not need to know alot of thigns to be a good guitarist.
Quote by hippie_cune

Ahh, well I wouldn't measure who is better at what. If you are happy with your playing than you are doing just fine. Understanding chords and such will be far more useful than playing really fast in the long run.
Quote by LiberatorSnake
You did a few bowls right? Well then give give the poor boy a break man.

its weed.. not acid.

plus hes been playin for like 5 years or more (im not sure really).. he shouldve picked this up somewhere right?
Quote by LiberatorSnake
You just have further knowledge, maybe because you had a headstart (lessons) as to where he didn't.

like i have to tell my friend nonstop... the teach only taught me the G, C, D, E, F, and A chords.. and then how to play the basics of Sunshine of Your Love.

i had two lessons.. if it was a headstart it only kick started me what i wouldve learned in two weeks by myself.
Quote by hippie_cune
like i have to tell my friend nonstop... the teach only taught me the G, C, D, E, F, and A chords.. and then how to play the basics of Sunshine of Your Love.

i had two lessons.. if it was a headstart it only kick started me what i wouldve learned in two weeks by myself.

I still think you shouldn't bother comparing yourself with other players because everyone excels at something different. Example: Johnny Cash - he didn't use a lot of complicated chords, but his songs are awesome. Example: Kurt Cobain - he didn't play very technically but he knew how to put words to his songs.
Quote by hippie_cune

Weed can do that to you.

It isn't much of a headstart...and I agree that with 5 years give or take of experience he should've known already, but I still wouldn't say it makes you a better player. I am not saying you aren't or anything...how the Hell could I know? But still. And like the other guy said, as long as you're happy with your ability then who cares?
hahaha well, im happy with my chord knowledge.. i come up with some pretty interesting chord progs for the songs i write... but

im just not happy with my lead ability

so i think id say.. maybe physically, hes a better player, but mentally im more advanced.. cause i am a music major and know quite a bit about theory, whereas he doesnt know jack-shit about theory
^ no he was very excited about what he was trying to introduce me too.

.... like he had discovered atlantis or found out that plutos not really a planet.
Quote by hippie_cune
hahaha well, im happy with my chord knowledge.. i come up with some pretty interesting chord progs for the songs i write... but

im just not happy with my lead ability

so i think id say.. maybe physically, hes a better player, but mentally im more advanced.. cause i am a music major and know quite a bit about theory, whereas he doesnt know jack-shit about theory

Well there you go: What you need to do is practice your lead playing.

Personally I find playing rhythm and chords more fun than playing lead, but I can never resist in breaking out into solos during jams. My suggestions on doing this would be to work on scales and some 'technical' aspects such as sliding, hammer-ons and pull-off and such.

Im sure you can do all of those, but I suggest using them instead as a way to say something through a solo.
Just cause you know more theory doesn't make you better.

I know a guitarist who is complete nut about theory. So one day I'm jamming with my buddy who plays drums and he watching us. When I get done he's like "wow! I love how you combined that Am chord with the flatted fifth of the of Am scale, I woulda never thought of that" You see, he's so concerned about theory that he just, well he can't play with any style.

I know basic theory but I don't go much farther than that. I play in key and I know what chords go with what, but I'm not crazy about theory.

So yeah, just cause you know theory doesn't make you better. It does help you though.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Not theory related.

Ego strokes.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.