Ive been playing for about 4 years and Im not that fast (the fastest song I play is probably something like Texas Flood by SRV) and im a bit sloppy. Im overall an ok player but I want to know if maybe theres something wrong with my technique that is making me slow down. Is this anchoring?
Attachments:
Anchor 1.jpg
Anchor 2.jpg
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yep, that's anchoring.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
is it really that bad? how am i supposed to hold it, got any pics?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

nah thats not anchoring, that looks more like palm muting to me..

Anchoring is usually when you hold the pick with your thumb and first finger, and then press your pinky/ring finger/both down on the pickguard in order to "anchor" your hand, so you can hold it up off the strings and bring it back down to mute whenever you want.
That's just normal playing man, same how I do it.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as anchoring, considering just about every guitarist I've ever seen who doesn't anchor does that. (Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, etc)
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Anchoring is touching the guitar with your picking hand while you play.

I do it.

*shrug*

People who talk about the wonders of not anchoring always say how the guitar sounds better because it has more freedom to resonate.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 4, 2007,
That's almost exactly how I play, and i feel that i can play kinda fast for how long I've been playing. Just keep with it, and if you really want to increase speed, just use a metronome, they help a lot.
Quote by Zofar
That's almost exactly how I play, and i feel that i can play kinda fast for how long I've been playing. Just keep with it, and if you really want to increase speed, just use a metronome, they help a lot.

Well usually it helps when you're just starting, but once you start to play anything Malmsteen and above, it takes away a lot of tension to not anchor (which helps you play faster).
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD

People who talk about the wonders of not anchoring always say how the guitar sounds better because it has more freedom to resonate.

I think that's one of the reasons why Les Paul pickguard aren't in full contact with the body.
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Well usually it helps when you're just starting, but once you start to play anything Malmsteen and above, it takes away a lot of tension to not anchor (which helps you play faster).

Malmsteen Anchors his pinky...
Quote by Zofar
Malmsteen Anchors his pinky...

And look at how tense he is. Almost as bad as Petrucci.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Malmsteen doesn't anchor his pinky when playing fast. Petrucci does.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Jongpil Yun
And look at how tense he is. Almost as bad as Petrucci.

And look how slow those two play because of it.

Oh wait.

Anchoring isn't going to make you a sloppy player threadstarter. Tons of people do it.
Quote by The way to hate
And look how slow those two play because of it.

Oh wait.

Anchoring isn't going to make you a sloppy player threadstarter. Tons of people do it.

Doesn't matter at all if they can play fast anchoring; they could play faster if they didn't. I mean, watch Petrucci do a really fast run. Sometimes you can see him relax his biceps and sigh in relief when it's over.

"Tons of people do it" isn't an acceptable argument either. Tons of people also play with only 3 fingers (SRV anyone?), does that make it OK?

It's bad form, pure and simple.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Crap...I guess I anchor then.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R