Page 1 of 3
I've got a lot of time to read now, but I don't have any books. I dig thought-provoking fiction. The last book I read that I actually enjoyed was 1984. The Catcher in the Rye was pretty good too.

Any suggestions?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
A Clockwork Orange
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Wild Boys
Naked Lunch
Lord of the Flies

A Clockwork Orange if you havent already. Everyone should read that.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Crank and Motley Crue's The Dirt
Quote by IbanezSA160
To make a ringing sound with your guitar, take the guitar and ram it as hard as you can into your balls.

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
American Psycho By Bret Easton Elis - An excellent book. It's kind of...sick...but it's a great read.

asshole

read Brutal Music tis good
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's freaking awesome, and nothing like the movie. Really thought provoking if you look at it the right way
on the road by jack kerouac, hes my favorite author and he was one of jim morrisons main influinces
The Bible? Jesus Christ...When I was younger the bible was retarded. I it went against everything that I was learning in school. The verses just made no sense and the stories in it were pointless so I converted to Athiesm. (sp?)

But, it's a good read if you have nothing else to do.
Quote by $Guitarist$
Atlas Shrugged
The Giver was good, I guess.

+1 for the giver
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
My friend just bought two books that, from the way he describes them, are very psychological and ficiony, but I haven't read them. One is called "The sunset Limited" and the other is called "The Road" both buy Cormac McCarhty.
Quote by charlieballc
uh i googled Rosie Palm, nothing except gloves...
Quote by Spazz128735
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's freaking awesome, and nothing like the movie. Really thought provoking if you look at it the right way

i prefered the movie to the book, but i think thats just because in the book you can't hear british accents

try the Flashman series.. very interesting, yet funny
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I'm serious, read it. I've read a lot of classics and great books, (Catch 22, 1984, Heart of Darkness, etc. etc) all solid reads, but Zen and the art stands out, i've read it twice already and im planning to read it again this summer to pick out more details.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Last edited by epy at Mar 4, 2007,
Animal Farm if you haven't already....
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Anything by Michael Chritchten is good (sp?)

Most of his books are now movies but there are a few that still aren't. Here's the ones I read which I thought were pretty amazing

Sphere
State of Fear
Airframe
Jurassic Park
The Lost World - Jurassic Park (Better than the movies by far)
Prey (Really good, about nanotechnology)

Umm there's probably more, but I forget about most of them.
the giver as stated before
read some edgar allan poe especially the pit and the pendulum, and the raven, tell tale heart all classics
im reading this book firmament its pretty interesting
like water for chocolate one of the best books ive ever read
read the harry potter series theyre good
and the princess bride i havent had a chance to read it but it should be good if its anything like the movie
what ever you dont read that book called ..THE BIBLE
Twirling 'round with this familiar Parabol...spinning....waving...'round each new experience
I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King, and it's pretty good, however long. So I'll recommned it, or IT, also by Mr. King.
A Tale of Two Cities

Seriously.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
The Five People You Meet In Heaven. by Mitch Albom. Its not really a religious book, its got its own views on heaven, but definatly one of my all time favorites.
Quote by RawrDemon
I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King, and it's pretty good, however long. So I'll recommned it, or IT, also by Mr. King.

i spent my whole junior high school career reading only King books, good books

to add to my list, read The Hot Zone, and Mcteague. both are pretty interesting
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I recommend the Bible so that you can make your own opinion on it. It isn't brainwashing. Just read parts, start witht the New Testament, and create your own opinion on it rather than listening to every idiot in here who think that because their friend read two verses that they are experts.
Looking for Alaska
Alas Babylon
The Giver
Of Mice and Men
Huckleberry Finn and or Tom Sawyer

those are some of my favorites
Quote by Michelangelo193
I recommend the Bible so that you can make your own opinion on it. It isn't brainwashing. Just read parts, start witht the New Testament, and create your own opinion on it rather than listening to every idiot in here who think that because their friend read two verses that they are experts.

too true, i bought the Satanic Bible, some of it is thought provoking, but some/most is cliche and comical

Quote by marsvoltaguy
on the road by jack kerouac, hes my favorite author and he was one of jim morrisons main influinces

+1 for kerouac man hell of an author, also check out Neal Cassidy he only did one book but it's pretty weird he's the insperation of Dean Morarity.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
i read 1984 in my english class...
it was kinda hard to understand.
and i bet u George Orwell was on acid when he wrote the book.
cuz its just too much like waht Syd Barett and Roger Waters thinks bout.
the movie was such a "The Wall" rip too. "The Wall" was released 1982 btw.
and 1984 movie was released 1984. i see how that worked out.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I asked a scholary friend of mine a similar question:

Any volume of poetry by any Romantic British poet: Keats, Shelley, Byron, Coleridge, Blake. In particular, their long poems, which reveal the real maturity of their craft (iff'n y'ask me);
Paradise Lost by John Milton.
Beowulf by some poor patronized schmuck who probably died penniless? Get Seamus Heaney's version.
Anything by James Joyce if you can stomach the urge the throw the book against the wall when you're on the sixteenth allusion to look up in half as many paragraphs; what an arrogant jerk.
Simone De Beauvoir's The Second Sex.
Sartre's play No Exit.
Anything by Thomas Hardy.
Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake because it redeems her for ripping off Orwell with The Handmaid's Tale. Plus it's good.
OH OH OH OH.... Goodness. I forgot it was YOU I was talking to! YOU MUST READ Michael Ondaatje's Coming through Slaughter. It is written about a jazz musician, Buddy Bolden, and he (Ondaatje) attempts to write the story IN JAZZ. It is one of my all-time favourite books.
Ok. SO. Right. The Bible. Cause ya gotta. The whole of western literature up until the advent of the computer is based upon its references. Do Shakespeare's everything while you're at it. Especially King Lear.
Any volume of poetry by the Beat poets including Guinsberg, Williams, Kerouac, Burroughs, etc. Naked Lunch is pretty sick prose. You'd dig it.
Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.
Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
T. S. Eliot-not just his poetry which will turn your head into a busted Rubick's cube but also his essays-- in particular Tradition and The Individual Talent.
Ezra Pound - his poetry (and because of his influence on Eliot as editor).
Yeats - because he's amazing. Just read everything. Then read Harold Bloom's critique of him.
Once you're in fourth year university and you can grok it, read Tillotama Rajan's The Dark Interpreter (a criticism of the Romantic poets mentioned above).
Proust - warning warning warning you should read it in the original (A la recherche du temps perdu) but if you can't, read "Remembrance of things past." You'll miss a lot of subtle stuff but it's better than not reading it. He was kind of a reclusive freaky rich screwed up invalid twisted by grief (and gay in a time when it was definitely not cool to announce it) but his prose is unparalleled in its elegance. Hard to read but great.
Ok. This last one is a weird one but I can't help myself. Clive Barker's Imagica. He makes Stephen King look like a total amateur. Also the Books of Blood. They're hard to find but they are extremely funny.
Every article Dave Barry ever wrote.
Anything in The Onion.
Music: Harmonium's Heptade. Quebecois band from the 70s. The lyrics are French and they are dazzling. Simply dazzling. Best album ever made if you ask me. Screw the Beatles.
The Illiad, The Odyssey (Homer/Greek), The Aeneid (Virgil/Roman)
The poetry of Catullus and Sappho (Greek).

Honestly, that's a killer list of great books. Go for it
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
+1 for kerouac man hell of an author, also check out Neal Cassidy he only did one book but it's pretty weird he's the insperation of Dean Morarity.

Def. dude. Dean (forgot his real name) was one of Jacks closest friends and one of the most inspirational people ive ever read about, On The Road and The Dharma Bums seriously made/is making me really interested in budhisim. I currently am reading the book of haikus and its really cool.

my librarian also told me this book Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is really good and very kerouac esk.
Quote by Michelangelo193
When I'm ready I plan on reading that and Mein Kampf. I think everyone should. As long as they feel strong enough to keep their beliefs.

right like i always say, don't let the fear of the unknown make you act foolish

Page 1 of 3