My goddamn High E string keeps on breaking whenever i DOWN TUNE! What the hell is this due to?
Are you sure you're not uptuning? >_>
Obligatory Gear List:
Dean Vendetta 2.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez PF5-BK Acoustic
breaking from down tuning??? u are probably turning the tuners the wrong way... not sure if your headstock is pronged but the top 3 go in a different direction than the bottom 3 for tuning.
there can only be one answer...
your guitar defies the laws of physics!!!!
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
I have an RG7321, so, it's 7 in line and im positive im turning them the right way. Do you think it's due to the fact that I turn the knob really quickly when I downtune? I've heard of this happening before.
Quote by Gilbucci
I have an RG7321, so, it's 7 in line and im positive im turning them the right way. Do you think it's due to the fact that I turn the knob really quickly when I downtune? I've heard of this happening before.

maybe u didnt wind the strings the same way on all the tuners? sometimes people dont wind all the strings the same way... u might have had 6 of them wound right to left and the 7th one wound left to right...
Why are you downtuning with a 7 string? You wanna be a bassist or something?

Anyways, check for rough spots anywhere the string makes contact.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Is it breaking at the tuning head or the nut? If it's the tuning head, it might be because the string has been in one position too long. That's the best way I know of to describe it. It happens to my strings occasionally. Thick strings don't like being subjected to x lbs of pull for a while then tuned down. If it's the nut, check for rough spots and file it down. It's a floyd, right?
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

guess what i would do to you with 2 twizzlers, a lemon, and a pack of hershey kisses.

It wouldnt be pretty
Ok, well check the nut for rough spots. Just take a file or something like that. Emery board, sandpaper, file, it doesn't really matter as long as it can get rid of burrs and such. Then you can take a pencil, rub the lead in vasoline, and lubricate the nut with it. It'll help a bit. If that isn't it, try changing strings. What are you using?
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

guess what i would do to you with 2 twizzlers, a lemon, and a pack of hershey kisses.

It wouldnt be pretty
Unless you're overly aggressive with the file, you'll be fine. Just don't go "Ha! Burrs!!" and blitzkreig your nut. You'll be fine. Remember that you're not actually removing anything. Just smoothing it out. If you don't feel comfortable with it, have somebody who knows what they're doing do it for you. That's always the best thing to do, because that way, if it breaks it's *their* fault :P
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

It wouldnt be pretty
Haha, I might do that. Would I do the same if the problem is in the tuning peg?