a chord name like...

Cma7, and that has parenthesis with a #11 over a #9

and im not asking about when would you use that chord, im asking when would you use the part in parenthesis, when does that become important in a chord?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
when u play the chord, it means to play a c major 7 (C E G B) then play a #11 or a E# and play that note higher than a #9 or a D# so you would play C E G B D# E# .... atleast thats what i think, im not promising anything but im pretty sure thats it
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
That would tell you to play a Cmaj7 (C, E, G, B) and then add the #11 and #9 to the chord... you'd add F# to the mix... so that your final chord will have all six notes in it.

I'll tell you though, just from reading the notes... it aint gonna sound too great... it would probably be best to use it as a passing chord or for sweeping an arpeggio.

And... just so you know. The numbers represent scale degrees of notes within your roots major scale. So... C = 1, 3, 5 (C, E, G) and it's major 7th would be B, it's ninth is an octave above it's second, but only functions as a 2nd when no 3rd is present, so (since there IS a third, it is considered a 9th, no matter what octave the note is played in), and the 11th is an octave past the 4rth (which would also just make the chord a 4rth, but since a 3rd is present it goes up to be an 11th).
yeah i know about the scale steps and stuff, but would you call it that because of the sharp 11th and sharp 9th....nevermind, i think i just answered my own question
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.