I am wanting to get a guitar. I have wanted to learn to play for a long time, but never really gotten into it. I first bought a guitar around 6 years ago when I was like 16. It was a Peavy Predator from a local pawn shop for about $120. I was stupid because I bought an electric guitar with no amp because I didn't have the money. I figured I would save up later. Well, as you might have guessed, while saving up I got burned out having a useless guitar and sold it.

So now I am wanting to get an electric guitar. I don't know if I will really like playing so I am really hesitant to throw tons of money into something I may not make a big part of my life. I really wouldn't want to spend more than $300, but I have the money to spend more if I really need to. I just don't want to.

I am a little apprehensive about just waltzing into a guitar shop as I don't know any chords or melodies or anything. I would literally be going in there and strumming away creating a cacophony of noise! I am reading the tons of information here so I don't walk in and let a salesperson take me. I recently moved too so I don't know anyone in my new town that plays that could be my guard and help. Ideally I thought I would go in and spend around $300 or less and get the guitar, a case, a stand, a few picks, and a tuner. I was hoping if I found the actual guitar in this range they would kind of throw the other stuff in for free. Think so? If anyone has any recommendations I like Nirvana, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, etc. Nothing real hard, but I do like rock.

Anyway, to my real question. I was wondering if I really need an amp? The reason I believe I may not need one is that I have what I think is a pretty good stereo setup in my apartment. I have a 120 Watt RCA amplifier and speakers with 2 - 10" subs, along with smaller mid range speakers and a couple tweeters. My plan was to buy a guitar connector thing that could plug into my guitar and have RCA outputs that could plug into my amplifier and be played through the setup in my apartment. I have no intention of playing anywhere outside of my apartment in the foreseeable future and no tours or anything planned. I figured when I become a little more educated, since I have heard on this site that the amp is ~90% of the sound, I can get one that fits my style better. Does this sound like it would work? Does this sound reasonable or something that will make a new guitar player burn out quickly?

Anyway, I am so glad I found this forum. It's terrific. There's a ton of information I believe I will be awake all night reading. Thanks!
You're much better off going out and buying a cheap practice amp, even something $100 or less.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think I am better off because of the convenience of having the standalone amp or because I will get poor sound quality with what I currently have?
Also you won't get any overdrive on our stereo system which is what your musci you like is mostly
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
eh. I dunno. A nice stereo set up is gonna beat a crappy amp, trust me I know. I did that for a while. It'll work. Just get an amp asap.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

guess what i would do to you with 2 twizzlers, a lemon, and a pack of hershey kisses.

It wouldnt be pretty
Thanks for everyones advice. The thing that made me think this might work is that I currently have my computer audio running through the system (3.5mm output to RCA feeding directly into my amp) and, IMO, it sounds pretty good. If anyone else has any opinions or experience trying this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could chime in.

[edit]I will also check into the Squier and Marshall MG.
Just get a guitar amp! My first amp was only 20 bucks at a local pawn shop. It was a Peavy 25 watt 8" speaker amp it was good enough for me at the time. You'll find something!
Vox Pathfinder 10 or 15

They're good and easy on the wallet.

When it comes to guitar you kinda half to get lucky with something used in the sub $200 range... All the accessories should come to maybe $50 if you do it right.
If you're going to run your guitar through a stereo you would probably want to use som sort of multi-fx/modelling unit. This will give you your distortion and effects and also emulate the sound of a guitar amplifier but it will give you an output which you can plug into your stereo.

A system like you have would sound pretty awesome with any of the high end modellers such as the Zoom G9 and the Boss GT8. These are out of your price range however. Look into the smaller zoom and korg units.

Something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=512914

And This:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-AX5G-Guitar-Multieffect-Pedal-?sku=160000

Would work well for you.
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

Get a laney HCM 10...good beginner's amp and cheap.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
If you want a cheap guitar and amp, get something like a Encore Les Paul copy, or a Squier Strat, and then a small practice amp. Like a Kustom KGA10FX, Marshall MG15DFX (I wouldn't reccommend the MG as a main amp or a decent amp, as I learned).
And for JUST home practice, you can also look into the Original Pignose, which goes for about $100, or the Roland MicroCube ($125).
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, if your going to use your stereo make sure you buy a distortion pedal and EQ pedal. Otherwise your only gonna have one sound.
You can get Suier strats with amp really cheaply and they do the job. £100, don't know what it is in Dollars..... Get an amp, i run my guitar through stereo speakers all the time at college, and without a decent EQ pedal and Distortion Pedal, you wont get versatility, only what you can do with the tone controls on the guitar, much cheaper just to get a small 15 Watt practise amp.
Meh, I know people who started with the $250 guitar packs and they worked out fine. But if you know someone who can play find a very simple tune and have them play it and memorize the tune. I learned the first 6 notes to the star spangled banner and had my friend play them for me and went into a shop and based it all off that.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
Quote by iwishiwasafish
If you're going to run your guitar through a stereo you would probably want to use som sort of multi-fx/modelling unit. This will give you your distortion and effects and also emulate the sound of a guitar amplifier but it will give you an output which you can plug into your stereo.

A system like you have would sound pretty awesome with any of the high end modellers such as the Zoom G9 and the Boss GT8. These are out of your price range however. Look into the smaller zoom and korg units.

Something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=512914

And This:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-AX5G-Guitar-Multieffect-Pedal-?sku=160000

Would work well for you.

Thanks for the link. I plan to go to a guitar shop this week (probably Monday) and just look around. I am kind of a taller guy at 6'2, but I have thin fingers so I am going to go and find a comfortable guitar. I don't really know how size affects guitar playing other than having fat/thin fingers, but I will see. If I end up having to spend more for the total package, then I gladly would if it means it's more comfortable. I will probably go and find some things and then post back here with the price ranges to see if they are reasonable. I will look into the modellers too to see what they offer in-store.

Quote by AdamDK
If you want a cheap guitar and amp, get something like a Encore Les Paul copy, or a Squier Strat, and then a small practice amp. Like a Kustom KGA10FX, Marshall MG15DFX (I wouldn't reccommend the MG as a main amp or a decent amp, as I learned).

From an aesthetic point of view, I like the way the Fender Squier Standard Strat looks. I can't wait to get into the shop and actually mess around with them, even though I am going to look silly because I can't play a thing. I don't care though. They will still want my money, but I am going to go to several shops and maybe even see how helpful the sales people are by, after looking around on my own, explaining my situation and seeing what they recommend.

Quote by SaulHudson
Well, if your going to use your stereo make sure you buy a distortion pedal and EQ pedal. Otherwise your only gonna have one sound.

This may come off as a silly question, but what do you mean by one sound? As in I can only play rock, or metal, etc? My stereo amp has an equalizer that you can adjust for different music. I am probably going to look around at the guitar shop and local pawn shops to see what's available in the amp department. Then come here and look at what people have said about them.

Quote by TheOneManWonder
You can get Suier strats with amp really cheaply and they do the job. £100, don't know what it is in Dollars..... Get an amp, i run my guitar through stereo speakers all the time at college, and without a decent EQ pedal and Distortion Pedal, you wont get versatility, only what you can do with the tone controls on the guitar, much cheaper just to get a small 15 Watt practise amp.

I believe a Euro is about $1.33 so you are talking around $150. I have seen the Fender Squier Strats online for $200 to $240. I don't know if they would be cheaper in a shop. I will probably be buying the guitar new since I am completely new and wouldn't be able to tell whether a used guitar was damaged unless it was an obvious chip, crack, etc.

Quote by metrobunny08
I would definatly suggest a squeir strat, and you cuold keep your stereo for the time being but at least get like a boss DS-1 distortion of something. Very cheap, and would allow you to still play rock and not jsut have to deal with the same sound all day.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258

Wow, these Squier Strats are highly recommended! It is definitely the front runner right now.

So to summarize, I will most likely be getting a Squier Strat provided I don't find something that is just more comfortable. I am also going to look at what kind of amps they have there in the shop. I plan to get the guitar new and possibly the amp used if it seems like a good deal, otherwise the amp will be new too. If I don't go with the amp, I plan to get the guitar and distortion pedal or modeller.

If I go to a shop and spend around $300, is it reasonable to expect them to throw in a case, strap, stand, picks, and tuner or would I need to spend more money to expect that stuff? That's all stuff that I really would need that I would have to budget in otherwise.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to reply to as many people as possible. Thanks all for the help!