Well, I only played acoustic for years and never used any picks. It is until recently I'm saving up $$$ for my first new electric guitar. Untile then, I'm practicing alternate pick on my acoustic(It's been going well so far @_@).

I have a little question about it though... Do you count hammer on, pull off, bend and slide as one up or down? or do you just skip it? For example, I played down. Then hammer on next note. For next note, would I be playing up or down? It's been confusing me ever since and I can't seem to find any answers.

Any help would be much appericiated ^-^;; Thx in advance.
your JUST learning picking and already your worried about rythem picking? Good job.

it depends if the hammer on or pull off is on the beat. Most of the time hammer ons and pull offs are between beats or between notes, but not in all cases.

play with a metronome, and with eat click pick down and each click pick up and just focus on where your pick should be. if there is a big pause between notes, then reset your picking to down stroke.
For example, I played down. Then hammer on next note. For next note, would I be playing up or down?

You can do either. I'd go with the opposite direction (up).
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
yeah i would go up. un less the next string you have to hit is above the string you hammered on so for example of you hammered on like 5h6 on the A string then had to do something 5h6 on the E string then i would continue going up. it all depends on what your playing.
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)