i've got a prob, i got a gibson les paul studio, it sustains well, but i wanna play a gilmour song and i can't get it to sustain long enough, any one got ideas that can help me?! i run it through a Zoom G2.1 Multi effect pedal , and a shity Fender 25 R amp..
More distortion makes it sustain longer...but you are playing a Gilmour song so that probably doesnt work for you.
I'm pretty sure it's mainly your amp that does most of the sustaining...

Try doing a Google search. There's a 1:1 chance that someone's asked for more sustain sometime before... in some other forum or a FAQ.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
More volume. Also try a fatfinger (groove tubes I think).

EDIT: also, you better not be scooping the mids.
EDIT2: try delay, Dave likes his delay.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
use a big muff like dave does, possibly a compressor and just keep wriggling those strings with vibrato, alot of it is tecnique
if you try every thing we have suggested here you should be doing ok, remebering dave uses a strat and your using a les paul so really you should have more sustain, id advice a new amp very soon, preferably soon, depending on your budget a nice fender amp is good
People seem to forget that David uses a modded Boss CS-2. It's a great pedal stock, much better than the CS-3 but is now quite expensive.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Get good gear. You won't get good sustain with a crap amp and a multi FX.

But if you're not changing your gear, more volume helps, and maybe use a different pickup position.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Use the neck pick-up, add a delay effect and an echo type one (not over-the-top, try room or hall or something), use a touch or vibrato with your fretting hand to make the note carry on longer, and get a decent marshall amp to get the most out of your les paul.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
Use the neck pick-up, add a delay effect and an echo type one (not over-the-top, try room or hall or something), use a touch or vibrato with your fretting hand to make the note carry on longer, and get a decent marshall amp to get the most out of your les paul.

Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
I'm learning the solo to "time" right now, and I'm using my paul and a big muff.

David uses a muff, it has a sustain knob, and it really helps.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by pity tha' foo'

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock

Gilmour doesn't use Marshalls....

But I should probably remain silent or I may get my ass pwnd...

edit: and I'm sure he can't afford one.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Last edited by hamish5178 at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by hamish5178
Gilmour doesn't use Marshalls....

But I should probably remain silent or I may get my ass pwnd...

edit: and I'm sure he can't afford one.

He doesnt use a gibson either, and if he wants sustain from his les paul then i thought he should get a marshall. But you're right, you cant play a song unless you have the exact same epuipment as the original artist. I guess im stuck playing guns n roses from now on. WHY DID I HAVE TO GET A GIBSON AND A MARSHALL!!!???be quiet.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
He doesnt use a gibson either, and if he wants sustain from his les paul then i thought he should get a marshall. But you're right, you cant play a song unless you have the exact same epuipment as the original artist. I guess im stuck playing guns n roses from now on. WHY DID I HAVE TO GET A GIBSON AND A MARSHALL!!!???be quiet.

My point was merely that he doesn't need a Marshall to 'bring the best' out of a Gibson. And yes, Gilmour does use Gibson guitars.
Quote by Qazxs
Quote by pity tha' foo'
My point was merely that he doesn't need a Marshall to 'bring the best' out of a Gibson. And yes, Gilmour does use Gibson guitars.

He mostly uses strats, and a marshall would be an easy way to get more sustain. But this guy needs help and you made this thread about yourself. Shame on you

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Try buying a sustain pedal?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
It doesnt mattter what guitar gilmours using, this is your playing slash_88, find your tone not someone elses. Yoir best bet is probably a compresser, nice cheap one would be the boss cs-3 or the marshall one, think its called 'Ed'. the vibrato trick would work aswell, bit of reverb anjd echo and you should be one your way!

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Phill-Rock
He mostly uses strats, and a marshall would be an easy way to get more sustain. But this guy needs help and you made this thread about yourself. Shame on you

A Marshall doesn't give any more sustain than any other quality amp; so there's no need to mention it.
^+1
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by mr_hankey
A Marshall doesn't give any more sustain than any other quality amp; so there's no need to mention it.

Fine, then he should get a quality amp, one thats good for classic rock and known to work well with a gibson les paul. He could get a marshall!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
Fine, then he should get a quality amp, one thats good for classic rock and known to work well with a gibson les paul. He could get a marshall!

Someones a tad grumpy...

Ronsonic, it's definitely not the guitar, but I think the effects and amp make much more difference to sustain than technique does, even if you bend a note perfectly, without the right gear it's not going to sustain half as long as it would with the right effects etc.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

I can't believe no-one mentioned string gauge yet; it's just as important as the amp.

Threadstarter, get some 0.011s or 0.012s.
i've got a prob, i got a gibson les paul studio, it sustains well, but i wanna play a gilmour song and i can't get it to sustain long enough, any one got ideas that can help me?! i run it through a Zoom G2.1 Multi effect pedal , and a shity Fender 25 R amp..

You've cunningly answered your own question. Get a decent amp....a tube amp if you want to be able to manipulate feedback to increase sustain. And stop using a nasty tone-sucking multi FX.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mr_hankey
I can't believe no-one mentioned string gauge yet; it's just as important as the amp.

Threadstarter, get some 0.011s or 0.012s.

Yeah I was about to say