4 57%
stone
0 0%
classic
3 43%
other?
0 0%
Voters: 7.
i want a fuzz that cleans up nicely and gives a nice thick hendrix sound, particulary the sound on wild thing and when the volume has been rolled back id like a nice clear sound similar to bold as love by jimi and a creamy sound from red house and one that can still create the woodstock tone.

my budget is 110£ so virtually any roger mayer fuzz
I haven't tried the stone fuzz; but I just bought myself the axis yesterday, and I played the classic a while ago. You have to choose whether you want aggressive (silicon) or smooth (germanium) fuzz. I wanted it to be aggressive, and I wanted the Band of Gypsys tone (that and woodstock), which is silicon.
so would you say the axis fuzz is more aimed at woodstock and bold as love?

how does it sound when the volume is rolled back?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Mar 4, 2007,
Both the classic and the axis clean up pretty good; no idea about the stone.
He used a silicon fuzz for BOG and woodstock, and germanium for that before.

You should read my fuzzy spam thread, I tried a couple more fuzzes.
Sure, I just don't know if you would want a smoother fuzz: the axis is really 'in your face".

EDIT:
Why didn't I think of this before? GO TRY THEM OUT!
i am but i just wanted to know more about them befor i do.

is the axis very resopnsive and is it still clear sounding
Well, one thing I noticed is that the axis seems to be more 'in control' than what I am. Picking dynamics don't really exist anymore. If you roll down your volume a bit it becomes much more responsive. Turning the tone knobs and switching pickups barely affects the sound; unless you turn the volume down a bit.

If you want a fuzz that feels more 'alive', go for germanium.

EDIT:
When you try out the Axis, you want to pay particular attention to the drive knob. IMO, it controls tone more than drive, and there's a BIG change in sound in the last 10% of the turn.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 4, 2007,
ok thanks.

i need some thing that is responsive but not too overpowering unless i hit it hard, some thing that will clean up nicely and will get me that slightly distorted slightly clean tone from bold as love but that will still sound loud and power full.

my favourite hendrix fuzz tone is that found on like a rolling stone? what pedal will create that sound?
Quote by The_0thersid3

my favourite hendrix fuzz tone is that found on like a rolling stone? what pedal will create that sound?

It sounds like a germanium fuzz: the classic. Try them all though.
Classic Fuzz!

I tried both the Classic and Axis, and bought the Classic, and at the time I was mostly after right-on Jimi sounds, works great!

It cleans up amazingly, you get such different sounds with a slight twist of the guitar's volume knob, there's a whole array of tones you can get.
Very responsive aswell, can be clean with light picking, and then fuzzy when picked hard.
Try a few out if you can, definately worth the money.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Classic = Early Hendrix,
Axis = Late Hendrix.

But really, stop listening to us and go try them out.
The difference between the 2 fuzzes isn't that drastic you know, they're similar sounding, just have a few little differences.
And try them out and see for yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but, what if i were to use silicon transistors in the classic fuzz curcuit?
oh, thats not necacerily a bad thing its just from what iv heard the classic is better suited to me, does any one know if maplins has any gerainium transistors? i emailed them but so far no responce im going to make it this week end if they have the right parts, R_H_C_P, how big is the curcuit board on your classic fuzz? (just for a rough guide so i know how big the enclosure needs to be)
The PCB is roughly 8x5 cm, and it's quite generously spaced; so it could be made much smaller on perfboard (half the size, or less).