how does it work in terms of the neck functioning? do music shops calibrate them or something? how does it work?

even appropriate links would be great!
It's called a truss rod. And it's basically just a metal stick in your neck, which can be adjusted with a certain tool (can't remember...). It changes how much/which way the neck curves.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
What the technical term is as opposed to the way the neck curves (which is right) is called "relief". Your neck will bow in and out due to things like humidity and things like going from hot to cold all the time. Like if you had your guitar in a warm place jamming at a friends and accidently left in your car overnight for some bonehead reason the neck curvature would change and you might need a 1/4 turn on the truss to get it straightened out. Same thing with the seasons. It's dryer in the winter and that does funny stuff to wood. Most people take thier guitar in to the shop for a Summer and Winter setup.
thanks for that! with the neck on my n2, should I get the guys at my local music shop to take the neck off the guitar and sort it out?

I take it the "bow" in the neck promotes a lower action...is that correct?
they don't need to take the neck off.
Quote by ..NEM..
*hugs back and grabs White Ponys ass*
on this pony the truss isnt showing on the headstock though...
Quote by misiu
on this pony the truss isnt showing on the headstock though...

I wouldn't take it into a shop unless you're having a problem...

please don't call your guitar a pony

anyway, the neck relief does affect action, but that's not why you adjust it, you adjust the action via the bridge and nut, changing the relief is to change how much the neck curves (as I already said). This keeps the action even over the whole fretboard, etc.

And if there is no truss rod at the headstock (possibly under a cover?) it is most likely under the pickguard, and they don't need to take the neck off.

What type of guitar is this?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^ check underneath a cover on the headstock. like a bell shape most oftenly.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
the truss is at the body end of the guitar, not at the head stock end...i take it this means they need to take it off???

is it bad to take the neck off the body???