So ive heard alot about these guys.

But ive never really taken the time to listen to some of there stuff...i cant be bothered with filtering through it all.

So i was wondering...can anyone tell me what they believe to be worthy of listening to by these artists?

Many thanks.
Quote by Neon Knight
......why is this in the Classic Rock forum?

Because if i'm currect,some of them are active sence the classic rock era.
Quote by guitarandbmx
So ive heard alot about these guys.

But ive never really taken the time to listen to some of there stuff...i cant be bothered with filtering through it all.

So i was wondering...can anyone tell me what they believe to be worthy of listening to by these artists?

Many thanks.

amazing techniques, awesome phrasing, fearful speed and style(maybe not for petrucci, I read some comments about him playing like a robot. lol)...
well, first you want to go to the shred/80s progression forum and ask in there
but just to help you out check out Satriani's 'Surfing With The Alien', thats probably the album everyone will tell you, but also his 'Is There Love In Space' is a favorite of mine. For Vai, just get the 'Anthology', its where i started and it gives you a good range of his stuff. and finally for Petrucci, hes only got the one solo album which is 'Suspended Animation', he also plays in a band called Dream Theater if you want to check them out as well, but like I said, you'll get more answers from the shred forum as they are shred artists.

EDIT: sorry, read the question totally wrong, but yeah those are some albums to listen to. Worthiness for listening to they all have amazing technique and style. Satch plays with a lot of melody and feeling, hes not so much about speed, but more about the melody line, you'll find he structures around a 'normal' song really, going verse, chorus, verse, solo, chorus, but in a instrumental version of course. Vai is more about strange sounds, speed and generally strange music, but he has got the odd song where he's more melodic and soulful. Petrucci is pretty much about speed, he does through a few melody lines in there and he does play with feeling as well, but mainly speed.
All of them deserve a listen though.
Last edited by stiff-upper-lip at Mar 4, 2007,