Ive heard that Gibson drilled large holes in the bodys of Les Pauls to reduce the weight and thought it was just a rumour. My guitar went through an xray machine the other day when I took it into work and it does have about 6 holes around an inch and a half in diameter behind the bridge. It supprised me, It just goes to show that none of us know what horrors lie under the surface of the paint and wood.
I thought they chambered them to reduce the weight and this was a widely known fact.

Also the shape and size of a chamber can affect tone.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Ive heard that Gibson drilled large holes in the bodys of Les Pauls to reduce the weight and thought it was just a rumour. My guitar went through an xray machine the other day when I took it into work and it does have about 6 holes around an inch and a half in diameter behind the bridge. It supprised me, It just goes to show that none of us know what horrors lie under the surface of the paint and wood.

um... calling it a horror is quite an exaggeration...

Gibson claims that it doesn't affect the tone, and I guess I believe them. I however hate the feeling of light guitars, they feel like toys.

And also...

Do x-rays not go right through wood? Wouldn't only the metal parts show up on the screen???
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by mr_hankey
How did they hide the holes on the back of the guitar?

They drill em in the mahogany, then put the maple cap on so you cant see em.
Quote by hamish5178
um... calling it a horror is quite an exaggeration...

Gibson claims that it doesn't affect the tone, and I guess I believe them. I however hate the feeling of light guitars, they feel like toys.

And also...

Do x-rays not go right through wood? Wouldn't only the metal parts show up on the screen???

Ok, maybe a slight exageration, lol !. It's an xray machine like in airports, you can see everything
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Ok, maybe a slight exageration, lol !. It's an xray machine like in airports, you can see everything

I thought X-rays saw through wood...

You can't see everything with them

That's why they're useful, they travel through some things and not through others.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
No, you can see everything, its not like a hospital xray, its different. I know, I use one every day for work. If you had a rucksack full of things and it went through the machine, I could see everything in it
How the heck does that work?

What if you had a giant dildo-gun made of the same material as the rucksack?

How would it see through the rucksack but not the dildo-gun.

I want a rucksack material dildo-gun.

And I don't like you.
^ Lol
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
So, you got 6 tiny little chambers.. big deal.

You wouldnt tell the difference if they werent there.
I just dont see why gibson wouold waste their time with that. It wouldnt significantly drop the weight either.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Quote by Gymmeh
How the heck does that work?

What if you had a giant dildo-gun made of the same material as the rucksack?

How would it see through the rucksack but not the dildo-gun.

I want a rucksack material dildo-gun.

And I don't like you.

It works by each material showing up as a different colour and the darker the colour, the denser the material. So if it was made of exactly the same material, its the density that would give it away. Id see your dildo gun.

And Ive f**ked your mother
Last edited by jonnyguitarman at Mar 4, 2007,
You can get differenent levels of gamma rays which means that you can see through various materials of different densities depending on the gamma rays' strength. Am I right?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
You can get differenent levels of gamma rays which means that you can see through various materials of different densities depending on the gamma rays' strength. Am I right?

Oh yes

There's nothing wrong with weight relief holes, just like there's nothing wrong with semi-hollow guitars. Just be aware that they do exist.
Quote by Roc8995

There's nothing wrong with weight relief holes, just like there's nothing wrong with semi-hollow guitars. Just be aware that they do exist.

Yeah, thats exactly how mine looked, holes in the same places
yea whats the bigdeal about the weight relief holes? it takes some weight off and probly helps the balance
I could understand it they took out a chamber like a mirror image of the control cavity on the upper part of the guitar. Surely it having loads of seperate holes is not great for tone and resonance of the guitar. Who knows. . . . .
Even if the holes do affect tone (I have a hard time believing they would, placed where they are), the difference is going to be very small. It's probably not worth worrying about.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
They drill em in the mahogany, then put the maple cap on so you cant see em.

AFAIK, they don't put maple on the back of the guitar.
Quote by mr_hankey
AFAIK, they don't put maple on the back of the guitar.

They drill from the top but dont go all the way through, Jesus, use your head
I don't think it'll affect tone, resonance, or sustain at all - not in a negative manner.
By that thought process, semi-hollow guitars would be bad guitars. Or even the very idea of using pickup cavities would be a bad tonal option. And then Warmoth wouldn't offer hollowed bodies with resonance chambers. More wood does not necessarily equal more sustain.