Page 1 of 3
Hi,
You've probaly heard of ID cards in the news. Im opposed to them beacause there clams to stop terrorism and illegal imagration have been proven to be lies. As well as that it will cost around £20 billion and be a major infringement on your privacy and human rights.Its just another step towards a Totalitarian state in the UK and will interlink with other laws to cut down on your civil liberties. Only the labour party supports them so please vote lib dem ( or tories if you really have to) . I've just given you a brief talk on why ID cards and the National Identity register are bad,
Here's some more info:
http://www.no2id.net/
http://www.libdems.org.uk/justice/issues/idcards.html
http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=campaigns.display.page&obj_id=134894
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_national_identity_card
thanks for reading.
LOL. We have those in Hong Kong for aaaaaaaages and those British Cards look ugly as hell. Here's what ours look like:

They are a good idea. It means you no longer need to take passports with you.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Mar 4, 2007,
What's wrong with ID cards? Don't you have them? How do you register for things like voting, universities, driving without an ID to prove you are who you say you are?
Is there going to be some change in ID cards or something? Here in Portugal we've always had ID's, and you have to carry them on you (in theory) and it's really usefull for law inforcement and security, as well as simplifying beaurocracy.
Also something I'm strongly opposed to.

I also heard that theres technology becoming available that can read these cards information from far away, which is quite scary really because people could find out where you eat for lunch, who you walk to work/school with and who you talk to without you ever finding out.
Quote by distilledspirit
We have them in the US and we need them to buy cigarettes and beer, etc. We could use our drivers' license for that too. Could you be talking about the same thing?

Nope. Ours would have everything about us... not just eye colour, our irises, our sexuality, our education, or political stance, our health, our location...
You know, comming from ppl who live in the country with the most security cameras on earth I find it odd that you all of a sudden are concerned about civil rights because the governement thinks it would be a good idea for you to be able to identify yourselves.
Don't you have to carry around a driver's license?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by MiG_853
You know, comming from ppl who live in the country with the most security cameras on earth I find it odd that you all of a sudden are concerned about civil rights because the governement thinks it would be a good idea for you to be able to identify yourselves.

I hate so many cameras too... but the ID card is taking it too far. And they shroud it by saying it's for our own security.
We've allready had them here in Estonia for 2 years or something...

Last edited by Goldec at Mar 4, 2007,
i dont like the thought of the government knowin everything about me
its kinda like " hmmm what are they planning"
they want to know every single detail of a person
thats not there right
the government doesnt own us
everyone should have there privacy
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.
I'm fully in support of the ID Cards. I have no skeletons in my closet and anything that is going to protect my identity and enhance security is a worthy step in the right direction.

Lets look at things;

My credit card company/bank knows exactly what I spend my money on
My ISP knows every website I visit
My loyalty cards show exactly what food I eat
My local authority knows exactly who I voted for
I am regularly within CCTV zones
My car registration is scanned by camera's on roads

I don't see what the big hoo-haa is. Many european countries have exactly the same thing and it's the norm for their citizens.

Cost isn't an issue, a passport costs £50, my driving license cost me £20 to replace when i lost it.
Quote by anewhope
I'm fully in support of the ID Cards. I have no skeletons in my closet and anything that is going to protect my identity and enhance security is a worthy step in the right direction.

Lets look at things;

I don't see what the big hoo-haa is. Many european countries have exactly the same thing and it's the norm for their citizens.

Cost isn't an issue, a passport costs £50, my driving license cost me £20 to replace when i lost it.

Exactly how I see it.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
They sound like a good idea to me.

Look at it like this:

Do you HAVE to have a credit card? - No.
Do you HAVE to have the internet? - No.
Do you HAVE to have loyalty cards? - No.
I didn't actually know they knew who you voted for. That makes me sad.
I'm not that often on CCTV where I live.
I don't have a car.

And cost is an issue, they claim it will cost £95, but external enquiries say it will be closer to £200.
Portugal doesn't have digital IDs, but we've had ID since before the 1974 revolution; I don't know what yours say, but ours is basic identity, residence, civil status (married or not), date of brith and parent's names.
Frankly, I wouldn't care if it said that I vote PSD or PP regularly, that I have a very inactive sexlife and show a tendency to defy authorety.
goddamn, britain is becoming worse than america in terms of gross civil rights violations, i can understand them wanting everyone to have photo ID but compulsory smart cards are taking it way too far.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
goddamn, britain is becoming worse than america in terms of gross civil rights violations, i can understand them wanting everyone to have photo ID but compulsory smart cards are taking it way too far.

What about Scandinavian countries, Eastern Europe, Japan etc that all have systems in place at present?
I doubt Labour are going to get in power at the next General election to carry on this idea.

I'm predicting a hung parliament.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
yeah thats just as bad, but from what i understand they dont have cameras watching damn near every public place in major cities though. Also from what i understand the British want to pt a lot more information on the chips than most other countries.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by indiefan
The UK ID card scheme differs quite alot from others in existance around the world

Thing is, the Tories say they will scrap the idea, but will they really? It seems like such a good way to control people... all of the three major parties are becoming more and more right wing - there is barely a difference between Labour and the Tories now. Just the track record (especially Thatcher) and the Tories would bring back fox-hunting - not that Blair had the balls to get rid of it properly in the first place.
Quote by Jakeylee111
I doubt Labour are going to get in power at the next General election to carry on this idea.

I'd be stunned if Labour was still in next time.
Quote by mulletman500
Thing is, the Tories say they will scrap the idea, but will they really? It seems like such a good way to control people... all of the three major parties are becoming more and more right wing - there is barely a difference between Labour and the Tories now. Just the track record (especially Thatcher) and the Tories would bring back fox-hunting - not that Blair had the balls to get rid of it properly in the first place.

Go lib dem
The benefits of the Hong Kong ID Card (as well as in general)- as per quick google
1. High security - data engraved into different layers of the card and held in the chip can prevent lost or stolen identity cards from being altered or used by other people;
2. Greater convenience - with the capacity of multi-applications, such as e-Certificate and library card function, the smart identity card holder can benefit from the convenience of using one card for various functions;
3. Quality service - the issue of smart identity card helps establish the foundation of the delivery of electronic government services. In the near future, smart identity card holders may enjoy various kinds of public services simply by going on-line at home or making use of the self-service kiosks without attending Government offices in person;
4. Faster travel - with the thumbprint templates stored in the chip of the identity card, it paves the way for the implementation of the Automated Passenger Clearance System in December 2004 and Automated Vehicle Clearance System in April 2005. Through which, the queuing time at control points will be reduced.
5. A big advantage of a uniform national ID card system is the synergy effect, i.e. the concentration of identification functions into one nationwide document. Instead of having to deal with a multitude of different identification documents, some of which are of questionable security, government agencies and private entities would be able to demand a single, instantly recognizable identification document. Likewise, citizens and consumers could simplify the documentation they need to carry and present for identification purposes. This could heighten identification security, as well as reduce cost and increase convenience.
6. Another potential benefit springs from the possibility of including biometric information in the card (See also Biometrics FAQ). This will enhance general document security, as it makes it much more difficult, albeit not impossible, to forge the card. Biometrics could also become important if the U.S. and other countries demand their inclusion in travel documents.
7. Proponents of a national ID card argue that it could also help law enforcement agencies track down offenders and prevent certain types of fraudulent behaviour such as identity theft and welfare fraud. It could also be used in enforcing labour laws, finding child support evaders and fighting money laundering.

People, this ID scheme reduces fraud dramatically. Everything's all digital now. Don't you get it? Paperwork is ancient.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by anewhope

Lets look at things;

Exactly, so whats the point in it? its a huge waste of money considering there's so many more important things the government should spend money on.
Quote by Jakeylee111

I hope not. I'll be devastated if this bunch of pricks are still in charge of my country.

Bring back Thatcher!
Quote by radio_schizo
Exactly, so whats the point in it? its a huge waste of money considering there's so many more important things the government should spend money on.

The ability to unequivocally prove who I am?
Quote by indiefan
Well hong kong has a polulation of 6,864,000 compared to britians 60,0000. And hong kongs has a 1 party system anyway. This threads about ID cards in the UK!

LOL. Hong Kong doesn't have a one party system mate. We're not China. We're democratic.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by indiefan
What the one that let familys starve in yorkshire and nearly distroyed the welfare state?
what a figure head for human rights!

I think(/hope) he was being sarcastic. She's the source of most of the country's current problems.
Quote by indiefan
oh soz Harmonius, but hong kong is very different from britian and this about ID cards in britian. The 2 schemes are very different.

Hardly different. I live in Britain now (for more than 15 years) and I grew up in Hong Kong.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Page 1 of 3