When you look for a band, does being fast matter? I know alot of people who are into dragonforce and other metal speed type bands seem to say that their band is superior because they can play fast...

So playing fast or playing slower?
Playing slow with tone. I hate shred, partly cos I can't (but I wouldn't want to) and partly cos I think it sounds crap.
i care about how good a band sounds, how good the songwriting is and whatnot, not what tempo the band plays at, And Dragonforce is a perfect example of how playing fast can make you sound like utter shit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ever heard of doom metal?
I'd say My Dying Bride is a lot better than Dragonforce and bands like that.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Fast. Everytime. Bands suck and aren't talented if they aren't fast.

sarcasm readings are off the chart!
The only reason I like Dragonforce is because they're fast. How it sounds makes absolutely no difference to me
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Both, it gets boring when a band sticks with being fast all the time or slow all the time. And it has a lot to do with the musicians composing skills.
Quote by mulletman500
Playing slow with tone. I hate shred, partly cos I can't (but I wouldn't want to) and partly cos I think it sounds crap.

someones lazy and doesnt want to practice

i was like that until last year. I still can't shred but I love listening to it. I'm too lazy to shred
Good!! fast doesn't say shit you can play tons of notes notes per second I dont care...It needs to sound good.
Depends on your style. For metal and shred you usually want to play fast. For jazz and blues you usually want to play slow.

Obviously if you audition for a metal band and play some smooth jazz they'll like murder you.
Same thing goes with an audition of a jazz/blues band. If you go there and play some drop tuned fast chugging, or shredding they'll murder you too.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
If a band can't play fast...that makes a band that can play fast automatically better than them in one way? No? Makes sense to me. If a guitarist COULDN'T shred (not all the time, just couldn't do it) I would consider myself ONE better than him because he can't and I can.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
good suggests that shred isnt

shred can be good, can be bad. like steve vai is good shred, some may say dragonforce is bad shred

slow is good, like muse, but bad like fall out boy

you, threadstarter, are ignorant
Quote by Týr
Ever heard of doom metal?
I'd say My Dying Bride is a lot better than Dragonforce and bands like that.

Exactly. It's all about the songs. "The Light at the End of the World" is incredibly slow but is a fantastic song, mainly because of the lyrics and atmosphere. Anathema are amongst my favourites too. I do like Dragonforce, but you can't get much of a feeling from an extremely high-speed guitar solo.
Musicality > speed. Sure, they can coincide at times, but that doesn't make speed the be all and end all of a band. David Gilmour > John Petrucci.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by mw7

Obviously if you audition for a metal band and play some smooth jazz they'll like murder you.
Same thing goes with an audition of a jazz/blues band. If you go there and play some drop tuned fast chugging, or shredding they'll murder you too.

This is completely irrelevant to the topic. We're not discussing playing an inappropriate genre; we're discussing inappropriate speed.
Im not a speed fan.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by metallinutter
good suggests that shred isnt

shred can be good, can be bad. like steve vai is good shred, some may say dragonforce is bad shred

slow is good, like muse, but bad like fall out boy

you, threadstarter, are ignorant

I didnt mean to say shred isnt good, i couldnt think of a better word. sorry
i like dragonforce alot but the bad thing about them is that all they do is play fast
except for like a few slow songs
but i think fast is a good thing as long as u sound good doing it and i do think there is kind of a limit to it
after all ur supposed to be pleasing ur audeince not just ur self
Quote by mw7
Depends on your style. For metal and shred you usually want to play fast. For jazz and blues you usually want to play slow.

you dont listen to much Jazz do you?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
both..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by mr_hankey
This is completely irrelevant to the topic. We're not discussing playing an inappropriate genre; we're discussing inappropriate speed.

Yeah my first sentence was on topic(you took it out of the quote) but I got carried away for the rest. :P
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Neon Knight
you dont listen to much Jazz do you?

No, but for example smooth jazz. It's all slow and mellow.
-Jimi Hendrix
so in jazz and blues they play slow. Wow you know a lot about those styles. Whats it is important is to know how to play in wich moment. Always have to know where is ok to play fast and where is ok to play slow. Perfect example Hendrix. Personally i think bands like dragonforce, first cant play the guitar well and second are just a piece of talentent less irreverent shit. The problem with metal generally they think they always have to play fast in fast tempos. No feeling, no creativity, no good improvisation. Still there are some good metal bands
Quote by Belsius
so in jazz and blues they play slow. Wow you know a lot about those styles. Whats it is important is to know how to play in wich moment. Always have to know where is ok to play fast and where is ok to play slow. Perfect example Hendrix. Personally i think bands like dragonforce, first cant play the guitar well and second are just a piece of talentent less irreverent shit. The problem with metal generally they think they always have to play fast in fast tempos. No feeling, no creativity, no good improvisation. Still there are some good metal bands

wow, you know a lot about metal way to contradict yourself.
Quote by buckethead_jr
wow, you know a lot about metal way to contradict yourself.

+1

Truce(to the jazz dudes).

I don't know much about jazz, you don't know much about metal.
-Jimi Hendrix
What i meant with what i said was about a lot of bands like dragonforce. I like metal a lot.
But Metal like most music is completely going down.

Dont Think i say that jazz is better than metal. I think each style has its own good things
Last edited by Belsius at Mar 4, 2007,
Personally Im really into the Power Metal bands like Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica at the moment. So it really doesnt matter to me. I listen cos I like the songs
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by Belsius
What i meant with what i said was about a lot of bands like dragonforce. I like metal a lot.
But Metal like most music is completely going down.

Dont Think i say that jazz is better than metal. I think each style has its own good things

ah, it was just the way you worded it, and i agree, bands like Dragonforce should tone down a bit, playing all their songs at the same tempo with the same rhythms, it gets really boring.
But i do like power metal like Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica and Firewind.
Quote by IbanezPlayer27
Good!! fast doesn't say shit you can play tons of notes notes per second I dont care...It needs to sound good.
+1
Speed is an excellent technique for infusing music-especially metal-with energy; that said, it has its place. Dragonforce is way too shred-happy for my tastes generally. In playing fast, they lose a lot of definition and their sound becomes slightly garbled. In short, they write the most skillfully played music I've ever listened to, but it's not well written for the most part. If you look at Rhapsody in Power of the Dragonflame, you'll see a great use of shredding in conjunction with other musical elements.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
I like a mixture of both. Thrice perhaps is the best band to describe fast at some times and good.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Fast. Everytime. Bands suck and aren't talented if they aren't fast.

Sent from my iPad.
I like good music, fast or slow. All the power to guys like Satriani and Gilbert who can shred but still manage to keep it musically tastefull.