hey guys i have some picked out from guitar fetish for cheap tell em what you think

a.http://store.guitarfetish.com/gopafhumapab.html
b.http://store.guitarfetish.com/blhotpafhubl.html
c.http://store.guitarfetish.com/hexovmepiblm.html

im lookin for somethin that has a bright tone when distorted, but can also have a distorted tone.

and i got a question. i have 2 humbuckers on mine right now, if i take them off, will the pickup cover hting (the ring around it) go on the pickups i buy?
For that price your gonna get shitty Humbuckers... I mean for $35 for a pair they will be trash...
If you really want to improve your tone go here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/gibson-guitar-pickups-replacement-parts?N=100001+304406+200988&page=1
If you really want to improve your tone look to spend $150+
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Try looking for some EMG HZ's I got that guitar and i'm looking for a set of hz's.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
^^^

Wrong. GFS pickups are really good for the money. They rival Seymours.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
my friend ordered a set of GFS PAFs (that matched pair) and im installing them for him later today
ill tell you how they sound
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
i might go for some actual GFS pups rather than the clearance stuff. Just a thought. GFS is supposed to be damn good for the money.
Those vintage zebra 59's look good (and a good price too) and they also come with the rings to fit anyway.
All but the third one come with the mounts anyway, but as long as they are all the standard humbucker size there should be no problem.
oh well anyways, i play green day, blink 182, metallica, slipknot, so all around in the rock and metal so i need something to support what i play any suggestions?
those GFS pickups will suit your needs just fine, and they are very good quality for the prices, so they would be perfect for your needs. Of course like Az said in your other topic, ultimatly its your amp that will define your overall sound. Pickups will make a big difference, but even the best pickups in the world will sound like total crap if your amp is a peice of crap.

Also dont worry about installing pickups, its really really easy to do, if your worried about doing the soildering, im sure your dad would be able to do it for you, and wiring diagrams are easy to find, im sure someone around here will be happy to help you find one. Also the mounting brackets for the pickups arent a problem, your old ones would fit the new pickups, but you'll probably get new ones with them anyway, and if you dont, you can get a set for less than $10 from just about any guitar shop. Also let us know what kind of amp your using, as that would help people more accuratly give you good advice on the sound your attempting to get with your guitar/pickups/amp.

Im glad you took my advice and are at least looking into getting new pickups, i honestly think you'll be a happier player for it.. Another word of advice when looking at pickups, since you seem to like to play heavy metal music mostly you'll want pickups that will give you that nice heavy crunchy sound when distorted. So "Vintage" style pickups you'll probably want to avoid, and they are more taylored to "classic rock" or "blues" styles, of course that isnt a written rule, you can get a metal sound out of pretty much any pickup with the right amp and pedals, but lets keep things simple..

vintage style pickups will give you good classic rock distortion (think zepplin, or AC/DC) and nice creamy clean tone. But since your a metal player (metallica, slipknot, ect.) you'll want to lean more towards "High Output" pickups, which will give you a brighter, crunchier sound (like metallica or something similar) Of course if you get a pickup with too high an output, you'll sacrifise your clean tone, and itll thin out, so check the output raitings on the pickups you look at (the manufacturer should have that listed in "ohmz")

To give you something to go by, a good "classic rock" vintage style pickup will usually have around 8 - 9 ohmz of output, and a good "heavy metal" style pickup will be around 12 - 14 ohmz (or even higher if you want) but i would keep it in the 12 - 14 ohmz range, that way you wont sacrifise your clean tone.

Also dont worry about silver plate covers (or in your case, gold) when choosing your pickups, you can get any non-covered humbucker, and buy a cover for them.. So take your time, do some research, and i think you'll find something good for you.
Last edited by Bones420 at Mar 4, 2007,
i have a behringer v-tone 2 amp (i find that hilarious) i got it last year in january with my first guitar. i play alot of green day too and blink 182 and nofx, but i do like heavy metal so i need to balance those.
Last edited by Gorre at Mar 4, 2007,
vintage style pickups will give you good classic rock distortion (think zepplin, or AC/DC) and nice creamy clean tone. But since your a metal player (metallica, slipknot, ect.) you'll want to lean more towards "High Output" pickups, which will give you a brighter, crunchier sound (like metallica or something similar) Of course if you get a pickup with too high an output, you'll sacrifise your clean tone, and itll thin out, so check the output raitings on the pickups you look at (the manufacturer should have that listed in "ohmz")

That's a common misconception, you don't need actually high output pickups with high gain amps. The whole point of high output replacement pickups was that amplifiers weren't particularly high gain, so you needed all the help you could get to push them into distortion earlier. With the kind of amps available now, with heavily saturated pre-amp distortion, you're much better off with a fairly normal output pickup.

Also, the DC resistance is NOT actually the output of the pickup. The output is measured in milliamps, the output level is determined by the voltage/resistance. The voltage isn't constant, there's only a voltage present when the string interacts with the pickups magnetic field and the voltage that interaction will produce will depend on magnet strength, number of coils etc. Resistance is a factor in output, but it doesn't always follow that the higher the resistance., the higher the output.

More often than not you're actually better off going for a slightly less hot pickup, like Bones said you lose your clean tones with the hotter pickups, and with some of the very high output models you can also lose definition and clarity. Adding gain to your sound is easy, trying to calm down pickups that are too hot is a damnsight harder.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have no clue what that means lol. and my dad said he doesnt knw if he can solder it lol
It's easy, he can do it. Alot of the people who do this stuff on UG are about 15.
Here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/how_to_solder.htm

As for pickups, go with any kind of PAF style pickups they have on GFS. Not too hot an output. Like on one of those sets, they list the DCR as 12K for the neck...I wouldn't get that one. Might be muddy in the neck position. Something closer to 7-9K would be a better bet. But anything will work.