Ok guys, theres a riff that I made that consists of a 5 string sweep around the 7 and 8th frets, and a tap at the 15th or 14th frets. The thing is, the riff is played so fast, that there is no way that my hand will be able to tap the notes in time. I chug the open string once, do the sweep at a really fast speed, and tap the note, and then there is a small pause, so I have to mute it with my tapping finger. This is all alot of work to be done in about 1 second, so I tried sweep picking OVER the frets, around the 15th, so I can just sweep and extend my finger and easily reach the tapped fret, instead of moving my entire arm over. When I do this, however, the pick hits the frets and too much noise comes out, sounding something like this:

http://media.putfile.com/Star-Tech

And when I dont put in the sweep, all the notes come out perfect, because I am sweeping above the pickups. Is there any way I can sweep over the frets cleanly? Or any tips to move my arm faster or cut down on the moving or something? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
slow it down till you can play it that fast?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Which string are you doing the tapping on on?
If it's on the high e you could try doing the tapping on the 20th and 19th fret of the b string, but then you'd have to pick the first string again on the up-sweep instead of pulling off from the 14/15th fret.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
But I can play it cleanly, at a pretty slow tempo, and I dont picture myself going any faster like that. I can play it at the destination speed perfectly, if I dont throw in the tapped note. Its that damn tapped note that is causing me to slow down and make it sloppy

Here is the tab, so you can see what I have to tap and what I have to sweep

|------------6-10-15-10-6------------6-10-15-10-6------------6-10-15-10-6--|
|----------8-----------------------8-----------------------8---------------|
|--------7-----------------------7-----------------------7-----------------|
|-0----8------------------0----8------------------0----8-------------------|
|-0-10--------------------0-10--------------------0-10---------------------|
|-0-----------------------0-----------------------0------------------------|

|------------6-10-15--10-6-17-10-6-15-10-6-14-9-5----|
|----------8-----------------------------------------|
|--------7-------------------------------------------|
|-0----8---------------------------------------------|
|-0-10-----------------------------------------------|
|-0--------------------------------------------------|

|-----------5-9-14--9-5-----------5--9-14-9-5------------5-9-14-9-5---|
|---------7---------------------7----------------------7--------------|
|-------6---------------------6---------------------6-----------------|
|-0---7-----------------0---7-----------------0---7-------------------|
|-0-9-------------------0-9-------------------0-9---------------------|
|-0---------------------0---------------------0-----------------------|

|-----------5-9-14--9-5-9-17-9-5-9-14-9-5-15----|
|---------7-------------------------------------|
|-------6---------------------------------------|
|-0---7-----------------------------------------|
|-0-9-------------------------------------------|
|-0---------------------------------------------|

Last edited by insideac at Mar 4, 2007,
What program/file type did you save that tab in?
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Right, I just wasn't sure what to open it with.
In the first line of the tab, try tapping the 20th fret instead of the 15th fret on the b string, and instead of trying to pick the first string again pluck it with your ring finger. Same with the 3rd line.
In second and fourth line of the tab, try doing the same thing the first tap and then move your right hand up to the the position that you're already playing it in.
|------------6-10----*10-6
|----------8------20-----
|--------7---------------
|-0----8-----------------
|-0-10-------------------
|-0----------------------
                  T   *Plucked with ring finger

That's what I'm suggesting you play for the first line of the tab. Same with the 3rd line, just with the sweep changed and the tap on the 19th fret of the b string instead of the 14th fret of the e string.

|------------6-10-----*10-6-17-10-6-15-10-6-14-9-5----|
|----------8------20----------------------------------|
|--------7--------------------------------------------|
|-0----8----------------------------------------------|
|-0-10------------------------------------------------|
|-0---------------------------------------------------|
                  T         T       T       T
                      *Plucked with ring finger

That's what I'm suggesting you play in the 2nd line of the tab. Again same with the 4th line just with the sweep changed and the first tap changed to the 19th fret of the b string instead of the 14th fret of the e string.

Edit: This is all assuming that you're legatoing the first string notes apart from the initial sweeped note. Are you legatoing or alternate picking the first string notes?
Last edited by Scorzerci at Mar 4, 2007,
When people sweep + tap, they usually do sweep over the frets. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Quote by Jongpil Yun
When people sweep + tap, they usually do sweep over the frets. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ok, I tried what the other poster posted, and IT WORKS GUYS <33 THANKS SO MUCH.