Ok, I know this is a normal question but I don't have time to search for it.The problem is I have a Jackson KE3 Kelly guitar and it has a Jackson low-profile double locking tremolo liscensed by Floyd Rose and everytime I want to tune it into a different tuning it just goes crazy.For example I was playing Lamb of God this week so it was tuned in drop D DADGBd and now I want to play Necrophagist so I have to tune it to drop D standard DGCFAd and when I tune the A string to G and then tune all the others strings and when I go back and check that all the strings are tuned right ,the 5th string has gone from G to A again.What should I do to stop it?

You can see the guitar here:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2912000522#

Mine is crimson swirl finish.
Floyd Roses and changing tunings, is... annoying.

It's because your string tension gets changed. Best thing to do, is stick to one tuning.
you DONT put trem guitars in other tunings unless you reconfigure the springs in the back
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Yeah, there's no way you can help that if you have a floating bridge. You have to stick to one tuning and maybe get a D-tuna (which is a pain in the ass to use) if you wanna switch to a drop tuning. Have a second guitar that doesn't have a Floyd that you can use for strange tuning. I have a guitar with a Floyd and ended up buying a new guitar because I couldn't take it anymore. I think I might just get a Digitech Whammy Pedal to make up for it because Floyds are a huge pain in the ass.
i had that exact same trouble yesterday i spent like an hour trying to tune it a half step down from regular tuning, i just ended up leavin it in standard tuning
yea, with a floyd rose you have to stick to one tuning. as different tuning means different string tension which will raise and lower the floyd rose.

I recommend setting up the floyd rose for one tuning and one gauge of strings and leaving it at that.

soz for the bad news lol, if ya want a guitar which you can change tunings quickly on get one without a floating tremlo.

ad
Just tune the E string first then the A then the D then the rest keep going back over them until everything is in tune...it takes ages and it's a pain in the ass but worth it!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The clue's in the name..."floating" tremolo. The bridge doesn't rest on anything, it's the balance of thension between the strings and springs that holds everything in place. As soon as you change the tuning of a string you alter the overall tension so all the strings are affected.

Solution - don't buy a guitar with a floating bridge if you want to change tunings. Unfortunatrly there isn't a way round it, if you want to do divebombs and whammy squeals then you have to pick one tuning and stick with it. If you want to change tunings get a fixed bridge.

How do I reconfigure the springs?

That's not actually going to help you, all he means is that when you change tunings you alter the string tension so you have to adjust the tension of the springs in the tremolo cavity to get the bridge back level. However, it won't make tuning any easier or quicker - it'll take you even longer because you have to re-tune again once you've adjusted the springs. Honestly, you're on hiding to nothing if you keep trying...you'll just end up spending more time tuning than playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
Yeah, there's no way you can help that if you have a floating bridge. You have to stick to one tuning and maybe get a D-tuna (which is a pain in the ass to use) if you wanna switch to a drop tuning. Have a second guitar that doesn't have a Floyd that you can use for strange tuning. I have a guitar with a Floyd and ended up buying a new guitar because I couldn't take it anymore. I think I might just get a Digitech Whammy Pedal to make up for it because Floyds are a huge pain in the ass.

Digi whammys suck, I had one, they have nothing on the sound of a true floyd.
Gibson 67 V. 91 Jackson Rhoads. 95 LTD M100 w/ EMG81s. Ep LP custom w. EMGs. Marshall AVT50 and AVT150H w/ 2 4x12 cabs.
Im just a bassist but...

Isn't that why most bands that use tremolo usually play in only standard tuning? Look at Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, and Emperor.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i made the same mistake as lightningbolt but i asked my guitar teacher about it and he got his floyd rose unit fixed so he could downtune but it means he cant use the whammy bar anymore but he didnt use it anyway. i might do the same cos i dont use my whammy bar apart from for crazy harmonic noises i dont use it whilst playin. dunno if thats an option for u tho lightningbolt?
woo first post!!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Im just a bassist but...

Isn't that why most bands that use tremolo usually play in only standard tuning? Look at Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, and Emperor.

actually, any decent band that used a floyd would have a guitar per tuning. they can afford it.

and a digitech whammy is nothing like a floyd, but fun all the same.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Floyd-Rose doesn't do drop D. Unless you're getting it specifically rigged so ALL it does is drop D. It can do 1/2 step, full step, but i would strongly advise getting a tuner - if one strings even a tiny bit out i pulls the others out too.